Hardcore Modeling!: 30 Days, 30 Models: PLATINUM

yencaray & Noggy: Thanks so much :slight_smile:

Noggy: The coiled wire started out as a mesh circle which was then extrueded through Blender’s screw tool. After the numerous manual extrusions, I further edited the tips of the cord, extruding and capping them. After that, by parenting the mesh cord to the path, the path becomes like an armature, only its deformations are smoother and more subtle, allowing for the cable to be bent in interesting ways without the mesh losing its definition.

Time for another update…

FINISHED ENTRY #8: SEA SHELLS

BEAUTY RENDER:

image link - click for full 1200x1600 render

ORTHOGONAL / FRONT VIEW:

[b]
ORTHOGONAL / BACK VIEW:

[/b]

ORTHOGONAL / TOP VIEW:

[b]
ORTHOGONAL / BOTTOM VIEW:

[/b]

ORTHOGONAL / SIDE VIEW:

[b]ORTHOGONAL / SIDE VIEW 2:

[/b]

ABOUT THIS PROJECT…

Modeling: 20 minutes
Lighting: 5 minutes
Shaders: 30 minutes
Total design time: Approximately 1.5 hour (the extra time was spent on developing the beauty render composition further)
Render time: Beauty render at 1200x1600/highest OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: 45 minutes; orthogonal renders at 600x800/medium OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: approximately 10 minutes each
Application used: Blender 2.42
Comments: One of the simpler models in the series I’m working on for this challenge. I spent some time working on textures, using a variety of color ramps and stacked procedurals. For a few minutes I was experimenting with displacement, but the nor (bump) channeled details proved more than sufficient for this project. Once the initial model was established, I used proportional editing to introduce variations and further curvatures into the shells. The shrink/fatten function was used on alternating edges of the shell to produce the ripple effect. One of the fun things with a simple model like this is that extra time otherwise spent modeling can be invested in other aspects of the creation, which can give us a chance to take a project to another level :slight_smile:

On to the next one,

RobertT

Thanks man! Nice seashell and your times are amazing.

I HATE YOU for your times and details… :DLOL j/k.

I wish I had your speed. Though I spend most of my time visualizing how I am going to make it… nice list so far… nice renders too… damn… lol

Noggy & morphius_ms: Thanks :slight_smile: Due to time constraints and all I’m trying to do in 2D/3D/etc. these days, these have to be fast. Before modeling I do spend some time visualizing what I want to do and consider the different ways I might approach such a model or a scene. It’s not always easy, as we know, since there are usually things that come up that we did not anticipate, and then we have to reconsider and work at those other aspects and elements – haha, just like life :wink:

Time for yet another update…

FINISHED ENTRY #9: DESIGNER CHAIR

BEAUTY RENDER:

ORTHOGONAL / FRONT VIEW:

[b]
ORTHOGONAL / BACK VIEW:

[/b]

ORTHOGONAL / TOP VIEW:

[b]ORTHOGONAL / BOTTOM VIEW:

[/b]

ORTHOGONAL / SIDE VIEW:

[/b]

ABOUT THIS PROJECT…

Modeling: 25 minutes
Shaders: 10 minutes
Total design time: Approximately 45 minutes
Render time: Beauty render at 1200x1600/highest OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: 15 minutes; orthogonal renders at 600x800/medium OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: approximately 2 minutes each
Comments: I was going for something simple, modern, and stylized here, yet something that might actually exist and be functional, as far as designer chairs go :slight_smile: I also had fun with the colors. Blender’s nodes were used to accentuate slightly the satuation and lows and highs. A sharpening render node was also used to give the image a crisper quality. The model was initially created on a vert by vert basis in side view, to establish the overall profile of the chair. Once the shape was in place, several extrusions were performed to give the chair width and then some thickness. Vertical loop cuts were also done on the mesh to help with the more subtle contours, which were further refined through proportional editing. All in all, a fun little model to work on.

RobertT

Hmmm, that chair looks like yelling at me too sit in it.

Cheers
Snelleeddy

keep on Blending people

I appreciate the comments! :slight_smile:

Another day, another entry…

FINISHED ENTRY #10: DANDELION

BEAUTY RENDER:

ORTHOGONAL / FRONT VIEW:

[b]ORTHOGONAL / BACK VIEW:

[/b]

ORTHOGONAL / TOP VIEW:

[/b]

ORTHOGONAL / SIDE VIEW:

[/b]

ABOUT THIS PROJECT…

Modeling: 2 hours
Lighting: 15 minutes
Shaders: 20 minutes
Total design time: Approximately 3 hours
Render time: Beauty render at 1200x1600/high OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: 25 minutes; orthogonal renders at 600x800/medium OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: approximately 3 minutes each
Comments: I wanted to model the dandelion in all its satages. This particular entry became more involved as I also wanted to establish a contextual scene for this model in keeping with the approach for most of my other entries. I’m intentionally elevating the difficulty wherever possible. Grass in back are simple extruded planes. Sky in the beauty render is based on a photo of mine which was then composited with the final render right in Blender through the render compositor nodes network. Stylistically, I’m not going for realism in this one, just something interesting that could work well at medium range and further (not so closeup as shown here). To speed things along, I set AO samples really low (4), which results in more noise. All samples were kept to a medium to minimum levels (lighting/shadows, oversampling/material OSA) to push this project through. I would have liked to attempt a broader field of dandelions in the beauty render, but I suppose that would make for another interesting project for some day :slight_smile:

Now on to the next one…

RobertT

finally a model that took you over an hour! lol very nice work as usual.

holy crap you are fast… must be all the shortcut keys in blender. I’m going to try to get my times as low as you.

Good work

nakaikoi: Yes, the keys will make a world of difference once you get used to them. In the model below, speed was really the result of creating just a few elements that would be replicated at different scales throughout the model. Planning ahead, however that’s possible, even for just a few minutes, can shave a lot of time off of modeling.

Noggy: Thanks, Noggy! Here’s another that took a while to do because I wound up rigging it with a full body armature.

FINISHED ENTRY #11: WOODEN PUPPET

BEAUTY RENDER:

ORTHOGONAL / FRONT VIEW:

[/b]

ORTHOGONAL / TOP VIEW:

[/b]

ORTHOGONAL / SIDE VIEW:

[/b]

ABOUT THIS PROJECT…

Modeling: 45 minutes
Rigging: 30 minutes
Lighting: 10 minutes
Total design time: Approximately 2 hours (2.5 when counting the multiple pose setups for the beauty render)
Render time: Beauty render at 1200x1600/highest OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: 35 minutes; orthogonal renders at 600x800/high OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: approximately 7 minutes each
Comments: Figure is completely articulated and rigged. Wood shader is procedural. For the beauty render I decided to do a variety of poses. I must use this in an animation some day :slight_smile:

RobertT

I cant wait to see that animated!:slight_smile: I like the attention of detail that you put on the joints. good job

nakaikoi: Thank you very much :slight_smile: I like working in little details like that wherever possible.

Time for another update…

FINISHED ENTRY #12: STREET LIGHT

BEAUTY RENDER:

ORTHOGONAL / FRONT VIEW:

[/b]

ORTHOGONAL / TOP VIEW:

ORTHOGONAL / SIDE VIEW:

[/b]

ABOUT THIS PROJECT…

Modeling: 45 minutes
Lighting: 10 minutes
Shaders: 20 minutes
Total design time: Approximately 1 hour, 15 minutes
Render time: Beauty render at 1200x1600/medium OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: 20 minutes; orthogonal renders at 600x800/medium OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: approximately 4 minutes each
Comments: I was leaning more towards more of an antique type of design with this project. I quickly built a little brick wall to mount this on. Background sky is Blender procedural. Sky fade is accomplished through a vertical linear blend texture on a plane placed behind the wall. For the glow of the lamp in the beauty render I used a smooth-subdivided cube as a halo particle emitter. Since halos are not raytraced, I added some low-distance lights to add to the glow and illumination in the area.

RobertT

as always I am impressed with your speed. I’m pretty confident that you will complete this 30 day challenge with flying colors.

quick question, how long have you been using blender for?

Thanks, nakaikoi, for believing I can do it :slight_smile: I’ve been using Blender since 2003. I’ve worked with it steadily since then. I’ve yet to try, much less master all its features. I often feel I’m tapping only a small percentage of its potentiality.

Another one done.

FINISHED ENTRY #13: GLADIUS

BEAUTY RENDER:

ORTHOGONAL / FRONT VIEW:

[/b]

[b]ORTHOGONAL / TOP AND BOTTOM VIEWS:

[/b]

ORTHOGONAL / SIDE VIEW:

[/b]

ABOUT THIS PROJECT…

Total design time: Approximately 40 minutes
Render time: Beauty render at 1200x1600/highest OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: 40 minutes; three orthogonal renders at 600x800/high OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: approximately 10 minutes each
Comments: For the beauty render I made some simple columns for the backdrop. Proportional editing was used to help taper the top of the hilt to meet the blade. Other modeling techniques involved spinning, loop-cuts, and edge sliding.

RobertT

Nice details on the sword. The proportions of the scabbard Vs sword don’t look quite right though.

oDDity: Thanks! The scabbard was derived from the sword mesh (mainly the blade). The sword fits, although snugly. The sheath could probably be a little bit larger.

Time for another update… and for some coffee :slight_smile:

FINISHED ENTRY #14: COFFEE MUG

BEAUTY RENDER:

ORTHOGONAL / FRONT VIEW:

ORTHOGONAL / BACK VIEW:

ORTHOGONAL / TOP VIEW:

ORTHOGONAL / SIDE VIEW:

ORTHOGONAL / SIDE VIEW 2:

ABOUT THIS PROJECT…

Modeling: 35 minutes (1 mug + coffee cup stand: see comments)
Shaders: 15 minutes
Total design time: Approximately 50 minutes
Render time: Beauty render at 1200x1600/highest OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: 30 minutes; orthogonal renders at 600x800/high OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: approximately 4 minutes each
Comments: Only one cup was modeled along with a coffee cup stand. The other cups were duplicated from the mesh and then proportionally edited and tweaked individually to create a variety of different coffee mugs. Behind the camera are some planes for ray traced reflection purposes.

RobertT

FINISHED ENTRY #15: FORK

BEAUTY RENDER:

ORTHOGONAL / FRONT AND BACK VIEWS:

ORTHOGONAL / TOP VIEW:

ORTHOGONAL / SIDE VIEWS:

ABOUT THIS PROJECT…

Modeling: 25 minutes
Shaders: 5 minutes
Total design time: Approximately 40 minutes
Render time: Beauty render at 1200x1600/low OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: 15 minutes; orthogonal renders at 600x800/low OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: approximately 3 minutes each
Comments: Very low AO/oversampling values compounded by jpeg compression artifacts are evident in some spots. Design on fork was manually made with halved spheres in a split 3D view (side and front).

RobertT

Yay, past the halfway point :slight_smile:

FINISHED ENTRY #16: SPOON

BEAUTY RENDER:

ORTHOGONAL / TOP AND BOTTOM VIEWS:

ORTHOGONAL / SIDE VIEWS:

ABOUT THIS PROJECT…

Shaders: 5 minutes
Total design time: Approximately 35 minutes
Render time: Beauty render at 1200x1600/low OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: 20 minutes; orthogonal renders at 600x800/high OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: approximately 4 minutes each
Comments: I quickly made some metallic bowls for the beauty render to make it a bit more interesting.

RobertT

congrats on making it past the halfway mark…its a good feeling…

i’m now onto my fork and spoon as well

Thank you robo3687 :slight_smile: Congratulations on your excellent challenge thread too!

Another one done:

FINISHED ENTRY #17: CALLIGRAPHY PEN

BEAUTY RENDER:

ORTHOGONAL / TOP AND BOTTOM VIEWS:

ORTHOGONAL / SIDE VIEWS:

ABOUT THIS PROJECT…

Modeling: 1 hour
Shaders: 15 minutes
Total design time: Approximately 1 hour, 30 minutes
Render time: Beauty render at 1200x1600/medium OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: 15 minutes; orthogonal renders at 600x800/medium OSA/AO/shadow buffering samples: approximately 2 minutes each
Comments: Ink smudges in the background of the beauty render are from a procedural texture set on the world. Just something experimental thrown in there at the last moment for fun :wink:

RobertT

RobertT

i like the calligraphy pen…nice and shiny…lol

keep it up