HALO PC demo now available

HALO PC demo now available

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/halo/

WOOHOO. Good news for us cheep people. this is definitely going om my X-Mas list.

[EDIT] Fileplanet also has this available with two dedicated servers for the Halo demo, nice and fast downloads.

without doubt one of the most disappointing releases in last few years… the game looks pretty bad compared to other new games out there today (the excuse that it’s an xbox game isn’t worth anything to me, they’ve had YEARS to improve things), oh and you need one hell of a pc to run it fluiently. Nah, it’s just another crappy conversion like Splinter Cell. I’d much rather spend my money on Max Payne 2, Call of Duty or a couple of nice dvd’s…

Seriously, don’t consider playing this game if you have anything less than a 2 GHz cpu and a beefy graphics card. It’s insane…

Originally posted by Renzsu
[B]without doubt one of the most disappointing releases in last few years… the game looks pretty bad compared to other new games out there today (the excuse that it’s an xbox game isn’t worth anything to me, they’ve had YEARS to improve things), oh and you need one hell of a pc to run it fluiently. Nah, it’s just another crappy conversion like Splinter Cell. I’d much rather spend my money on Max Payne 2, Call of Duty or a couple of nice dvd’s…

Seriously, don’t consider playing this game if you have anything less than a 2 GHz cpu and a beefy graphics card. It’s insane… [/B]

To each his own.

Originally posted by bentllama
To each his own.

true… I take it you liked the demo then? :wink:

Cool. I’m not much of a gamer so, it will be nice to finally see what everyone is so crazy about.

true… I take it you liked the demo then? :wink:

psssst

He MADE the demo…:hmm:

-Dave

He did? I thought he was doing animation for Halo 2, not the original…

I was under the impression that he DID work on the original.

Bent??

-Dave

Halo PC is some hefty stuff. It does not run well on my comp, which while not the greatest gamer, is more than sufficient for everything else.
This makes me scared that I might not be able to play HL2

Here I was thinking I could run the demo, and not to mention that my pc was top notch, kept telling me otherwise. Ill just stick with halo on x-box, I dont think I need an upgrade there.
dont consider the game unless you have the latest of the latest 2ghz cpu, 512+ ram and one hell of a graphics card.:thumbsdow

My computer ran the demo just fine (Athlon XP 2700, 1 gig ram, All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro). I liked it overall, but the vehicle control seems awkward with a mouse. I’ll probably end up purchasing this one, though.

The vehicle control isn’t too bad once you get used to it, but I would have preferred basic keyboard controls. A lot of the time you can get stuck because the vehicle has decided to turn the wrong way in order to back up, etc. Not fun when you’re holding the enemy flag and trying to get your damn ghost to back out of the enemy base. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Tex3D
[B]psssst

He MADE the demo…:hmm:

-Dave [/B]

D’oh… does this ALWAYS happen to me?? Oh well, hope you didn’t take it personal, i’m kinda fussy when it comes to my games.

D’oh… does this ALWAYS happen to me?? Oh well, hope you didn’t take it personal, i’m kinda fussy when it comes to my games.

Do you mean me?? Take it personal?? :shrug:

Oh heck no!! Not at all bud. I doubt that Bent takes it personal either. We all have our opinion about games that we like and don’t like.

:wavey:

-Dave

Call of Duty :drool:

yeah I meant Bent :wink:
Oh, I have a question, how come it took that long to do the conversion? Was it microsoft who wanted to keep it an xbox exclusive for that time? Because I remember you guys had the game more or less running (early version of course) before MS wanted it to be converted for xbox exclusively? Oh, and will it be the same for Halo2 or will that be released more or less like most cross platform games currently released?

Played the demo…loved it. The multiplayer level included isn’t very exciting, but oh well.
The mouse control for vehicles didn’t give me any trouble either. It just takes a little practice. (Perhaps never playing the XBOX version meant I didn’t have to shake the old control habits)

Originally posted by thefugitive
Here I was thinking I could run the demo, and not to mention that my pc was top notch, kept telling me otherwise. Ill just stick with halo on x-box, I dont think I need an upgrade there.
dont consider the game unless you have the latest of the latest 2ghz cpu, 512+ ram and one hell of a graphics card.:thumbsdow

2ghz machines are dirt-cheap these days. I got one from Dell last November for ~700$. By now you could get one for that with a monitor, better video card and twice as much RAM (came with 256. I later upgraded to 768). ‘Latest of the latest’ would be a 3.2ghz processor, a gig of ram and a GeForce FX. I’m using a cheap little GeForce 4 MX420, and the game ran fine at 1024x768 with all the detail settings maxed (of course, shadows are disabled in the demo, for some reason…)
By the way, the game also runs fine on my second machine, a 600mhz P3 (below the minimum specs) with a GeForce 2 MX400 and 192mb of RAM. The in-game sound doesn’t work, which is annoying, but the framerate is smooth and we’ve been having a blast playing across the LAN. :slight_smile:

Overall, quite a good game, judging by the demo. The warthog tends to pick up an odd vibration on certain underground ramps, but I had so much fun trying to get it all the way to the bottom of the Silent Cartographer that it didn’t bother me (for the record, I took it most of the way down before deciding there was no way to get it back up. You might think those doorways are too tight for a warthog (and indeed, they are), but why use one when you can use two?)

Very cool. Might snag the game one of these days (not until the price drops, though…$50 for a game released two years ago? I understand that a lot of work went into porting it, but still…ouch. ;)) :thumbsup:

downloaded yesterday and love it:wip:
fun playing but at some place ,kinda slow .anyway good game after AA .:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well - it runs like a turd here…

2.6ghz P4
1 gig of RAM
256mb Quadro FX 500

It’s genuinely unplayable :frowning: - bugger.

It’s probaly your vid AJ_23 most Workstation based cards like the Quatros arent gamer friendly. Personaly I’m not all that excited about Halo for PC. I have heard to many complaints and having it for Xbox and after beating it on every setting I returned it. There’s not much more too the PC version either. Yay you can use the Plasma cannon I wana fork out $50 for that! Whohoo!. Um…No. Multiplayer would be fun too but I have one MAJOR disadvantage well 2. 1 I’m on a crappy 56k line with a messed up phone line in the biulding and dont wana pay $12-$90 an hour for the phone company to fix it…2 I am on a Celeron based comp with SDR Ram…I know I need to upgrade that. Personaly I am waiting for DOOM III. Half-Life II looked fun but…it’s been delayed until April of 2004 due to a hacker stealing the source code. Owell :shrug: