Hair motion with MD - any tips?


#1

I’m still at it…

Here is a little test I made with saslite and Motion designer. Does anyone out there have MD presets or settings that they saved. It looks ok but I’m sure with tweeking it can look better?

what do you think…

Hair motion (DivX5.02)


#2

Looks a little floaty. What’s the gravity set to?


#3

I can’t download or view the test AVI file…


#4

me neither :hmm:


#5

this looks very realistic to me.


#6

Wow! It looks real enough. Care to share how you did it??


#7

It’s a DivX5.02 compressed avi…make sure you have the codec installed to view it…don’t know any other reasons why you can download the file. :shrug:

I’m still experementing so, I’m sure better results can come from this. I’ll use these setting, as a starting point for my character I’m working on.

fletchman : It’s a couple of hair guides I created in modeler, with Motion Designer aplied in Layout. The guides are paranted to a sphere, that I moved around a bit…very simple stuff actually.
I’ll post the MD settings if you want to try them out.


#8

yeah some md settings would be GREAT! :slight_smile:


#9

Originally posted by Werner

I’ll post the MD settings if you want to try them out.

Cheers, Werner,

would appreciate it. :beer:


#10

I opened up the source code for the link that you posted and got to the AVI file that way. I’m using Netscape 7, and I don’t think it understood the Javascript in the URL. :smiley:

I did a quick experiment before I saw your test…I didn’t know you were going for longer hair, though. Still, for what it’s worth, here’s my stab at MD + Saslite (OpenGL + final render):

I used a stand-in object for the calculation, and I used a little Fiber Structure to make it behave more like strands of hair in a group. I then used MD_MetaPlug on a bunch of two-point polygon chains for the Saslite render.


#11

well, here is the MD settings . Copy the whole line into notepad and save. Select your hair guides and load this .txt file from the MD interface.
I will upload my object example file shortly…maybe people can play with it and see who can get better results…and share the settings.

rname=“hair” weight=6 spring=2000 resistance=0.0001 subsp=2000 holdst=50 non_stl=0.01 self-c skint=0.02 friction=8

The gravity is set to -2


#12

I had a look at your clip celshader! It’s a cool concept, but not what I’m looking for. Thanks for the cool tip tho!

Here is the example file. Play around and see if you can come up with more realistic results. Just add your own saslite.

The scalp sticks out sometimes…this is because there aren’t enough hairguides over the full surface

Example file (zip file)

Here is a later version of the avi…I think this one looks better allready.

hair_test.avi


#13

crank up the gravity, it makes a world of difference. -9.8 is what earth’s gravity is. the second one does look better though.


#14

Originally posted by Werner
I had a look at your clip celshader! It’s a cool concept, but not what I’m looking for. Thanks for the cool tip tho!

No problem. :slight_smile:


#15

well, here is my last go. I think I’m happy with thes results.

What do you think? All I don’t like is the clummpy look of the hair

hair test 5


#16

Originally posted by Werner
[B]well, here is my last go. I think I’m happy with thes results.

What do you think? All I don’t like is the clummpy look of the hair

hair test 5 [/B]

I like your Saslite choices! It’s nice hair.

The “clumpy” look you referred to might be caused by Motion Designer’s inability to do collison detection on two-point polygons.

Increasing the “Weight ±” setting might help break up the “clumps,” by making the weights of the points less uniform.


FWIW, here’s a tweaked version of my MetaPlug hair test:


#17

That’s looking pretty good!


#18

Originally posted by DaveW
That’s looking pretty good!

Thanks DaveW :beer:


#19

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.