Grow\expand\dilate pixels filter?

Does anyone know of a filter that can be used to grow\expand\dilate the selected pixels. Similar to the selection->expand command, but also expanding the actual pixels too. See pic:

Afte you made your selection, go to select/modify/expand. Select how many pixels you want to expand.

Try the minimum filter.

Filter/other/minimum.

This only expands the actual selection its self, not any part of the image selected. See my pic, I actually want the pixels at the edge of the selection to be ‘stretched’ out as it expands.

Doesn’t really give me anything useful, just seems to get rid of all the detail within a selection.

I’ve tried all the filters that are built in to photoshop by none of them give me anything useful. Anyone have any other tricks for accomplishing this?

It took me a moment to understand what you mean, but I get it now. Unfortunately, there’s no easy way to do this in Photoshop–at least, none that I’m aware of. It would definitely be a handy tool.

Actually, you can sort of do this if the object in question is a circle. You have to use the Polar Coordinates filter–it’s a little sloppy.

I suggest you can do it like this:

• CTRL+click your shape layer
  • Contract it by 1px (how to do this look some posts above)
  • Invert the selection (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+I)
  • Change to the selection tool (M)
  • Right click --> Transform selection and drag it as much as you need to expand while holding ALT

EDIT: Okay this didn’t worked. I got a small workaround.

• CTRL+click your shape layer
  • Contract it by 1px (how to do this look some posts above)
  • Invert the selection (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+I)
  • CTRL+J for a new layer with the selection
  • Now you can press the ALT button and the arrow keys for your prefered direction (pressing the ALT button on your keyboard give you on every move a new layer)

Thanks for giving me some ideas, it had never even occured to me to do it manually! I figured out a way to do it, and use an action to automate it.

I duplicate the original layer 4 times, and nudge each one up, down, left or right 1 pixel, combine them together and apply a slight blur. This is the action, so everytime I run it it expands the layer by 1 pixel in each direction. Works brilliantly.

Thanks for all the suggestions :thumbsup:

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.