Greeble/Nurnies for Lightwave?

pics of interface and what is possible with Greeble

http://www.schloerb.com/tutorial/greeblecity_1.htm

and the official site : http://max.klanky.com/

I see you’re thinking what I’m thinking :wink:

From that greeble tutorial it looks as though most of it could be done with bevel :shrug:

Most can be done with bevels…but as far as i know (correct me on this though), Greeble doesn’t really do bevels, but rather places cubes (i guess on the poly’s normals), which you can easily do yourself with Clonez2 or Pawel Olaz’s Random Cloner…

It does both (optionally).
First it will bevel, with various options of inset, etc. Then it adds nurnies on top with a height relative to the scale of the faces.

Aaah…both…that should be easily doable in LW…

It does both (optionally).
First it will bevel, with various options of inset, etc. Then it adds nurnies on top with a height relative to the scale of the faces.

Max’s Greeble plugin works on triangles and quads. There’s two operations. The first creates the “base” geometry which basically subdivides and bevels the original geometry. You set a min and max height range, taper (if desired), a material ID, and random seed number.

The second operation adds the widgets or sub-details, You have five different widget types and any of those can be turned on or off. For these you also have the option of for a min and max height range, density setting, and an separate material ID. There’s also an option of generating the Greeble only at render time if you don’t want the polygon overhead to burden the rest of the modeling session.

I was wondering about that since it wasn’t 100% apparent in the city tutorial whether is subdivided or not.

Does the random aspect affect subdivision? It seems that given a quad, you can get a combination of 2-4 sub polys after subdivision (not just 4 like a standard subdivide)? True?

Does the random aspect affect subdivision? It seems that given a quad, you can get a combination of 2-4 sub polys after subdivision (not just 4 like a standard subdivide)?

From what I’ve noticed is a given poly might get subdivided either in half or in quarters then randomly beveled or simply extruded. However some of the polys won’t be sibdivided at all, just beveled. Messing around with the seed number will give different results.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is you can turn off either sub-division/beveling OR widgets and do just one type of operation. There’s been numerious times I’ve just used the widgets operation to add detail to my existing geometry without the additional beveling.

Certainly Sire! Selected the 3 visible faces of the box on the right, and that’s what it did to it at default settings.

THIS IS A PHOTOSHOP MOCK-UP, DON’T WET YOUR PANTS.

With the random materials, if it was 1, they would be produced like the following:
Greeble_Panels_Sides_01
Greeble_Panels_Tops_01
Greeble_Widgets_Sides_01
Greeble_Widgets_Tops_01

etc.

Obviously this is just a suggestion.

why not go one step further and include a library of stencil shapes. (basic objects - like 2D shapes)
they could reside in a predefined directory (provide a way to change it)
choose random from that repository for the detail part…

just an idea

This is just a UI with no working code (yet) so…yeah…no wet pants!

Thanks for the mock-up (good work) and the original UI (very helpful).

Um … heh ok no sleep and no coffee makes me not read all the posts in a thread. heh.
Since ByteHawk already brought the basic idea up, i retract my post :slight_smile:

• previously, on CGTalk’s Lightwave forum…
    How about maybe adding a widget library. like say a Dropdown selector where you could load in custom widgets from a folder named Widgets in your object directory. as long as they they were kept within a known size scale (say within the space of a 1 inch cube)
    it should (probably) be fairly easy to resize them to selected Polygon faces…

• Will.

wow, this is a really interesting thread… those renders in the first post are amazing to look at… lots of ideas there…

-s

I’ve thought of adding something like a widget library to Germinator as well (for leaves,flowers,etc). Have maybe 5-10 slots for objects that you can refer to by slot number. Determine size of each object using a bounding box and consider the low point on the Y-axis to be where the base of the object is.

But for now, if I go further, I’ll aim for base functionality and add new features later. It will be open source, so anybody else could always attempt to flesh out that feature. :wink:
On the other hand, aren’t there already cloners that achieve the desired effect of placing random objects on ploys?

There’s probably others too, but at least my Q-polyclone can do it. But, as someone said, my CityGen is kinda closer to greeble - it seems to do more or less everything greeble does, when the settings are correct… and then some.

Both of the mentioned scripts are part of my modpak, which has popup requesters unless one registers it (it’s fully functional without registering though).

http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/modpak/index.html

The “things to think about” if using citygen as greeble are

A) CityGen treats all connected polys as one building base - to add varying detail to each poly, the polys must be unwelded before running the script.

B) There’s quite a lot of settings in CityGen, as it’s meant for building cities, rather than this greeble stuff - there’s a lot of knobs to adjust to get the same results. But, i’d say one can probably get more variation with CityGen…

C) Scale / polygon size is very important, as all settings are in meters, not i.e. % of polygon size.

D) The nurnies are not adjustable (except the amount of them) - and they’re designed for rooftops…

E) there must be other stuff too :wink:

I just found something whilst spring cleaning one of my older computers.

the martianplumber plugin
and guess what, it still works !!!

anyone interested ?
dunno if I can redistribute this, no info left.

:deal:

Wouldn’t mind seeing an example of the output, at least.

yeah id like to see what it can do? cant remember, been awhile

Well, there’s this quote from a post over at the old Newtek forums:

[size=-1]By Arnie Cachelin (Arnie) (65.184.20.249) on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 07:36 pm:[/size]
I made an ARexx script for Ron Thornton to use for ‘nurnies’, for ships in Babylon 5. Nurnies were the parts from plastic model kits that he would pour into a big drawer, back when he did models with glue and exacto knives. The script was martianPlumber, and I am pretty sure it has been converted to LScript ina included with LW for some time. The ARexx script predates the existence of Max, of course.

AFAIK Arnie works at Luxology nowadays, maybe someone could contact him and find out wether he’s got a problem with Martian Plumber being distributed. From the sounds of it he thought it was part of LW anyway, so there’s hope.

Since you found the plugin, how usefull is it?