Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Richard Dumont

many thanks! richard! i’m still learning the way to coloring , your tips is very useful , wait for more!!! and can’t crits your work !

I really like what youre doing here Kraull. And the way you explain it. It’s very useful for everyone to know what theyr’ doing. Like how to set the perspectives, create sources of light and so on. Keep it up. We all want to see more :applause:

Thanks for your comments everyone and I’m happy that this thread might be useful for some of you!

Reply to questions:
Ilikesoup: To answer your question about the perspective grid, I used a 3d program to get the 2nd point of perspective. Manually, It’s quite easy to determine the horizon line (point of view) and the first point. For other works or for sketches, I use to guess the second to save time, but when the main idea turn around perspective, I like to get more precise guides. An easy thing to do to get those lines is to construct a cube in a 3d program, matching the angle of the camera with your thumbnail. Then, when you’re quite happy with the result, you do a print screen, import it in photoshop, trace line on a different layer that continue the edge of the cube, and there you get your 2 points of perspective. Even the 3rd if you need to construct a vertival axed scene.

For this image, I’ve raised the contrast to get a better range of value to work with. This action will change a lot the atmosphere of the scene, but I keep in mind that if I want to put smoke or fog, I’ll be able to do it quite easily at the final step: special effect. For now, with the main colors set, I need to be able to see the shapes of the buildings in the background. That way, it’ll be easier to define them.

So, that’s it for the colors for now, I’ll start to work for the 3-4 weeks to come on the characters. I impose myself dead-line to make sure I exploit the time I have, but most important, to insure that I’ll finish in time… It’s quite hard sometimes!!

I like your way to build up your sketches > looks very atmospheric.

Greetings
Fahrija

I like the color comp and gladly look forward the updates. BUt at this stage I can’t really tell what the story might be.

really nice atmosphere. Nice to see you in here again by the way, really liked your MF entry :smiley:

Thanks again for your comments!
V_Shane:
I agree with you that the story is not very developped at this stage, not on the sketch at least. But don’t worry, It will getting clearer in the next few weeks with the conception of the characters. I’ll try to add more info about the context, the personality of the characters, their abilities, their job (killers!!!), etc…

FlyingG:
Nice to see you too! I’ve seen you’ve been doing your MF in 3d? With your skill in 2d, the final result in 3d just can be good! I should improve my knowledge in this field too… I should, but I don’t know if I’ll get the patience to learn it… Maybe some days.

Once again, great progress. there is a great sense of “grand” and a great atmosphere you have created. I can’t wait to see the little details to start poping out. ohhh baby that will be something :slight_smile:

These little sketches are copies I’ve made of clothes found in fashion magazines. It would have been easier just to scan them or use them as references instead of drawing them. But, drawing them allow me to memory details and general shapes that I don’t instinctively know. It’s an exercice that I will do for any project that I don’t know well. It’s not about drawing the exact shape and respecting the anatomic rules, it’s about going fast and seen the more you can. It’s a kind of survey.

This step is crucial for me if I want to improve my chance of getting an outfit a little bit more original. It’s quite boring, bu it’s really worth the time on the long run!

These little sketches are copies I’ve made of clothes found in fashion magazines. It would have been easier just to scan them or use them as references instead of drawing them. But, drawing them allow me to memory details and general shapes that I don’t instinctively know. It’s an exercice that I will do for any project that I don’t know well. It’s not about drawing the exact shape and respecting the anatomic rules, it’s about going fast and seen the more you can. It’s a kind of survey.

This step is crucial for me if I want to improve my chance of getting an outfit a little bit more original. It’s quite boring, bu it’s really worth the time on the long run!

I’ve put the titles of the characters which I’ll have to design to help you understand a litle bit more about the concept. It’s quite hard (even for me…!) to see at this stage what’s going on, so the legend may be usefull I thought.

Sorry for the double post of the research clothes… That sucks!:rolleyes:

It’s looking good so far. I’m looking forward to seeing it develop.

Here’s a concept for the elite guards that will try to stop the commando from getting in.

Tips about how I proceed for characters:

First of all, I set the race and the genre. That decision will have a uge impact on the posture of the character and on his shape.

Next, I’ll have to decide his function. Once it’s fixed, I have already a better idea about the elements of his costume, his equipment, his health condition, etc.

And after that comes the personality, the emotion and the body image a character should transmit. This step may not be usefull for tertiary characters or those who will have to wear an helmet (like in this case). But it’s sometimes not true, if you have to design an helmet that look mean… It’s important for this step to determine the facial expression and the traits of the character. It gives us hint about his personality and his age.

The last step should be to decide the art directions, the style that will help getting the characters in context and identify his appartenance. The guide lines I’ve taken for this elite guard have been to mix Antique and futuristic elements. I set these guides as large as possible at the beginning of the process to be able to experiment and get inspire by mistake.

So now, there some traits I like on it qhich will influence the others characters to come. For exemple, the helmet make me think about roman, but it is not too much like it. So, I’ll have to keep that in mind for the other members of the group, to keep a certain unity. He’s far from been over, but I have a better idea of where I am going. I’ll have to push it farther again and determine his weapon.

I’m presently working on the swordmaster, trying to find what she will look like. I think I prefer a mix between the two last one. I would like her to have a warrior look but also a touch of feminity.

I’m open for suggestions about which look seems more interesting than an other and for why.

I’ll post a selection of the elements I prefer…

Hi Kraull,
You know what ? I think you’re my favourite painter of that site.
I get this impression when I see your last sketches, also your machineflesh entry : the way you rendered muddy water, lights coloring the skin of your creatures … Elegant, subtile, imaginative : hats off ! :thumbsup:
more ! more ! more !

My space opera

good job on your character designs i like your idea for a female warrior nuthin wrong with girls in cool fightnig clothes huh. i think to keep the feminity in your warrior you should use a blend of the middle one and the second to last youre gonna come up with some cool stuff any way so i hope i gave you somthin good luck

Character looks great. Nice progression :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I like the top on the #5, I think it’s good to show the arms it thins the character out nicely.

I like the legs on #4. Again it thinns out the character, but doesn;t make her look to girly.

And I like the hair on #4. Just the right femine touch, yet practically pulled back for battle.

It looks great!