Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Nathaniel West

Hi Nathaniel,

very beautiful image with nice atmosphere. The work in the background is great. Looks like a lot of work. But it´s worth it > very good.

No crits.

Fahrija

Thanks for the kind words! I have a ton of work to do on this one, I know. Hopefully things will go smoothly and I won’t run into any major problems. The background structure is going to be reminiscent of Hagia Sophia, and I won’t be getting too crazy with details as it’s way back in the haze. I just want the silhouette back there to add some interest to the background, rather than a ton of the same skyscrapers. All in all there’s a long way to go and we’ll see how it all turns out in the end. Does anyone want to see anything added or deleted before I get down to the final stretch?

Thanks again for the feedback! I’ll be back soon with another update.

Good Lighting

well done atmosphere… congratulations!

I miss the Easter Island face T_T Hehehe :stuck_out_tongue:

Those windows are looking marvelous! I think the darker sky works better than the previous one. There are a few areas (mainly the cracks of sky visible between certain buildings) that have a lighter value to them that I think could be brightened a tad more (just because I would imagine (and I’m probably imagining incorrectly as usual) there would be more ambient light back there, so the lights from below would be brighter? I guess :stuck_out_tongue: ), but that could just be my personal opinion speaking again :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking really good :slight_smile: Great depth!

Thanks for the comments, and thanks YeeWu for your insight. You are correct, there would be more glowing light from below. I’ll add some of that to get some more depth to it, and to help separate the buildings from one another.

I’ve been getting chances to work on this here and there. I’ve begun rendering out the car in front, and continue to work on the background . Let me know if you have any crits or ideas to help me during the weekend madness!

Nice!

The vehicle is looking great and the gestures / poses of the figures are really well done!

Great stuff…

Always a very nice pic, most impressiv, i like, non crits very good work

Fantastic work Nathaniel. Your architecture rendering skills are impressive.

A couple of suggestions:

1. The barrel-like structure in the lower left isn’t following three-point perspective as the buildings are. Perhaps you could skew it a bit to the right.

2. If you could shift all the characters just a bit to the left and upwards I think it would help The whole character scene is so close to the lower right corner that the viewer’s eyes almost wander off.

3. One of the hosts could have an outstreched hand to bid welcome.

4. The perspective of the “back wheels” of the floating car doesn’t seem quite right.

5. Perhaps you could light the left facades of the buildings a bit more that the right ones to insinuate some lighting from the left to create a bit more contrast.

I’m sure that the day after tomorrow you’ll present us a great piece…Good luck for the weekend frenzy.

Thanks so much for the feedback. Andreasrocha, your suggestions are very much appreciated, and I will work on incorporating them as I move forward. You are very right about the people–there needs to be more action, more of a story. I also agree that I need to watch out for that corner. Maybe I’ll try and put an architectural element there to help stop the eye and send it up the right side and around. Maybe some space cars up in the sky and have exhaust trails or something to point the eye back to the left. I don’t know. Nonetheless thank you, and if anyone else has an idea, please please let me know.

Update please… one day to go… Update please… one day left

Your work is really impressive !

Keep going on:bounce:

I’m basically working on separation of buildings now, and adding all the little details to make it finished. If you have any quick ideas or crits, please throw them out there. I’ll have the final for you sometime within the next 16 hours.

perfect concept scketches, i like them even better then the final picture

This is the finished image. I want to thank everyone for the support and critiques. I feel like I’ve learned a lot from this challenge, and I have you all to thank for it.

Good luck everyone!

Fantastic ending. Very nice evening mood…and your figures kick ass!

Congratulations!

The combination of old, retro and new that you’ve achieved here is fantastic. The Hagia Sofía- like contruction at the back is subtle, but adds a new depth to your pic. I also love the way you painted the people in the FG. I said it once and i’ll say it again: I envy your talent!

Superb job! :buttrock:

Thanks for the support! I had an episode today where I didn’t think I would ever get the final TIFF uploaded, but thankfully Mibus and Kirt helped me out. It’s been so much fun being a part of this, and I really think that everyone has improved greatly over the last three months. Thanks again!

Amazing pic, very nice work, very realistic, good luck

really nice image, well done!