Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Jason Chan

it’s looking great, jason. i think this should be submitted to spectrum. deadline is around the end of january, i hear. haul ass! :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I’m slowly bringing all of those soldiers in. I’m just quickly establishing them before I go in and fine tune them individually some more.

I’m working on the female right now. This is what I have right now.

Just a side note. I got season 3 of “24” for X-mas and I just finished watching it. For some reason this character ended up looking a little like Kim…

you 24 addict :stuck_out_tongue: yes, elisha cuthbert is hot and i do see a subtle resemblance between her and your female character! one thing i forgot to mention in my previous comment is that i love the variety of character designs you’ve got in this piece. they’re all post-apocalyptic based, but they all have a different story to them. good stuffs!

now that’s a real space opera ! amazin colours , mood , and character designs. :thumbsup: I’m sure you’re gonna win a prize. and I hope. congrats.

I love the darkness of your style Jason. Keep at it. Great work!

cool stuff…mood, drama, intensity…it’s all that and more…amazing work!

I’m finishing up this female soldier. I’ll probably leave her as is until I get into doing final touches on the whole image.

Beautiful EG, Simply Beautiful :thumbsup:

wow… this is completely awesome, and what amazes me the most is that you are going to make it in … 2 weeks? less maybe?:eek: …it’s a mistery to me, incredible, WOW!.. good luck man

Very professional work! The look you gave her is fantastic, specially being overshadowed by her hood. The clothes and overall body are great. I would suggest, however, changing her left hand by placing the sword in the middle of her fingers, or better, by placing it between her fourth finger (don’t know what you call it in English) and her thumb.

I really envy your technique!

Anxiously waiting for more!

Inredible!:slight_smile: this is becoming a pure master piece to be admired !:thumbsup:

great work Evil Gerbil.

i really like your coloring style so much , and your entry is very nice , no crits here! good luck

Evil Gerbil, it’s amazing. Well done indeed! If I had to come up with a crit it would be that the composition is a bit simple and central. But even so, it works very well, very filmic and certainly fits the GSO theme like a glove. Inspirational.

Thanks for all of the support guys! To tell you the truth, for a while there I wasn’t sure if this project was ever going to start coming together. Now that I have a few weeks off before school, I can really sit down and work on this. And, it feels like it’s paying off.

Speaky: I was thinking about that as well. Out of all the compositions I came up wtih for this contest, this one is the most simple and symetrical. However, I like it more than all of those other ones… Maybe it’s its simplicity that makes it work for me.

andreasrocha: Yeah, I’m not totally happy with her hand either. I was trying to think how a person would rest their hand if they had a sword on their hip. Maybe I will have to get some refference.

teknotek83: Thanks :slight_smile: I think having all of these different character designs is very important. If I had to paint the same uniform over and over and over… blah :rolleyes: The variety keeps me interested.

I’m totally the same way. People always tell me my compostion/camera angles are too straight on and boring, but it’s not like I don’t know how to do dynamic stuff–I just always end up preferring a simpler one.

I actually have a theory about why we have that kind of a preference. I think it has to do with the fact that iconic shapes are the most powerful, ever since the beginning of civilization. We respond visually to iconic shapes because it’s the most primitive, identifiable, and creates powerful silhouettes–something that animators understand instinctively, as does concept designers.

Great work on each soldier, and I like the war-torn feel of the piece.

Very true. Especially during this contest, I tried various concepts that had your eye flowing from one element to another trying to tell a story in a semi-complex composition, but it just wasn’t working for me. Then one day I was like “what if I just had this big army walking straight at you?” At first I thought, no it’s too simple and bland, but I ran it by my girlfriend and she thought it was a good idea. She doesn’t have traditional art training, so when I show her this straight forward composition next to my other complex compositions where I try to use the Golden Rule, blah blah, and she picks the simple one, I just have to trust her instinct. Some time art training gets in the way :stuck_out_tongue:

depends a lot on the teachers…and of course how seriously you take it, not sure if ‘rules’ really belong in an ‘artistic’ world

like the new piece by the way :slight_smile:

I like it more and more with every update. And i agree with Your girlfriend about composition:)