GPU prices...Yikes!

Simple. Why overthink it. Buy the Nvidia GPU(s) where your buget fits.

Fascinating Thread - 5.1k views? Creepy - I’d be a bit more careful about the info you’re divulging - Wall Street by now is probably watching :slight_smile:

and it’s back to 18k… say bye bye to gpu prices :))

bitcoin doesnt use gpus anymore, theyre just not profitable. I think we’re relatively safe compared to where we were years ago.

True but Bitcoin is only one of numerous crypto-currencies. Ethereum GPU mining is still a thing and people are still buying up cards to mine for that currency. A few other currencies also are viable on GPUs. GPU mining is less lucrative and common…that much is true.

Current GPU shortfalls are mainly caused by this:
-GPU demand is insane right now

-TSMC w/their new 7nm and 5nm fabrication is swamped. TSMC is chip foundry for game consoles, AMD CPU/GPU, Apple M1 and iOS. And until recently were sole provider for Nvidia. TSMC is so far in front of everyone else that they are almost the only game in town.

-Nvidia turned to Samsung for their latest cards but Samsung was new to the 8nm game and have had difficulty generating high yields. Word is Nvidia will try to get TSMC to help, but as just stated, TSMC is swamped.

True, and likely to increase soon too:

TL;DR

For the quarter in review, Nvidia sold at least $175 million worth of new generation GPUs to ethereum miners, helping the outperformance, according to a note from RBC Capital Markets analyst Mitch Steves. The analyst had guided sales to miners to come in at $150 million for the quarter.

Steves noted that the upcoming network upgrade of the Ethereum blockchain, also known as Ethereum 2.0, which is scheduled to take place sometime in December, demands that miners switch over to more efficient mining hardware. Nvidia’s new Ampere GPU chips are thought to meet that need.