Well I did some tests and here is the info
First I modeled a simple bowl in Maya. The first problem was that M. S. flipped the normals ( So did Lightwave ). Then I set up a null and did blobby particles. Some things that need to be implemented are:
(1) You need to be able to change the particle’s display type for better interaction. High numbers of particles caused problems.
(2) Definatly need some optimisation.
(3) Lots of noise in the simulation. It was difficult to get a particle to come to rest on the table. They Pulse.
(4) Major bug using more than 1 thread at render time. (Memory allocation error hit and locked the box on frame 18 every time) I use a dual AMD with 4 Gigs of ram And the maximum swap file size.
(5) The biggest problem is that you just can’t get a smooth flow of particles out of the emmitter. I changed the rate of emmission and the number of particles emmitted a hundred fold and still got the same weird pulse emmision. (See Movie )
(6) I noticed that the shadows render as pure black. I am assume that the scene had some default amount of ambient light. (I’ll check ) and the shadows should show this.
( I checked and ambient light was off so that error was mine )
Render times varied between 30 seconds a frame to 7 minutes a frame at (640x480). I’m shocked that I can’t force a glow by upping Luminosity or Radience or something.
Hope this helps
Eddie Da Pirate