Glacierise's Thinking Particles thread

Hi people,

I have started playing with TP 3 and will be posting my viewport previews in this thread. I the first session, i managed some fireworks:

http://cg.glacierise.com/tp_fireworks.avi

Having fun :wink:

nice start man!
looking forward to the next one :wink:

great start!

keep ´em coming, bro!!!

Cool, just trying to make me rife with envy:D

For today’s coolness:

http://cg.glacierise.com/tp_speed_by_distance.avi

Particle speed assigned by the distance between the source helper and the target one! Initally I intended to just subtract the position vectors of the two, but unfortunately there’s no vector math in TP :frowning: So i got smart, created a tape helper, parented its head on the source helper and the tail on the target one, and used it’s length with the great TP paramblock operator (lets you import any object controller as a value in TP). Then used an addmult node to introduce a multiplier to the distance value, and fed this into the speed component of a velocity operator. The direction component was connected to the position vector of the target helper node.

Kinda cool ha?

P.S. : Thanks for the comments people, cheers! :smiley:

well good work on getting this thread up. Im a pretty big fan of TP.
I think its the best.

As for no vector math in tp…

TP is all vector math…

the thing u should use is the distance condition node. Does all that stuff for you.

I’m making training videos right now, gotta get a couple, get a website and then get them uploaded and posted…

…unfortunately there’s no vector math in TP :frowning:

are you sure? Because here plying with the vectors works very nice :wink:
for getting distance & direction between two positions, use the distance condition.

and for multiplying or adding, you can simplier use a float helper. will mult the input by the number you set inside (less nodes needed ;))

unfortunatley I can’t watch your avi with any plyer. what codec is it?

Edit--------------

lol, depleteD was faster! :smiley:

With the help of depleted, we set up a basic file… not exactly the same, but a good start…

Rename extension on attachment to .max :smiley:

BTW: Great stuff so far man! TP is pretty cool, even if overly complicated sometimes. :shrug:

Hey thanks guys, I’d especially appreciate comments from people further int TP then me! So on the vector math - I am reading the ref, and I didn’t find anything to subtract vectors with, so I went to the cebas forum, and I saw a thread there requesting matrix math node, so I thought that wasn’t in. Also, I can pipe vectors in the add/mult node, but the ref specifically says that it works with scalars, so it conviniently converts them. If anybody knows how to do operations on vectors - please share!

On the distance condition - I had the misconception that it produces a bool on the distance between objects and a threshold. I was, of course, wrong :smiley: Thanks for pointing that out, and of course the add/mult functionality of the float node I had missed :smiley: Good thing is that the help file is great, one can learn very quickly.

The codec is techsmith ensharpen, great for compressing viewport stuff. I use KM player - free, small, reads everything, doesn’t need codecs. VLC has these merits too. So guys - keep an eye out here and comment, thanks a lot! And thanks for the scene :wink:

P.S. Make sure you post up on CGFluids too if you haven’t yet, the guys there are really good with TP!

lol…vlc didn’t play the avi :rolleyes:

You can pipe in vectors into expressions. and do fancy operations inside it :wink:

another approach is to use point3 helper.

Argh! Just like the float node, the point3 one has input :smiley: Ok, that’s solved, thanks! On the video - I use KM, maybe you could try it. It’s the better one in my eyes :slight_smile:

Make sure you get the M3D Blackbox set ITs bad ass. Im going to try and release ones Ive made here at Blur in the near future

Depleted, this would be awesome dude, if you can release them please do so! Some cool example scenes to learn form will be great too.

Ok, I’m now playing with the awesome force operator, and the equally awesome bringto operator. My rigs get a bit more complex :smiley:

http://cg.glacierise.com/tp_text_reform.avi

P.S.: How can I add randomness to a particle age condition? Like move particles to a new group based on particle age, but not all particles at once.

the random helpers can do that. set them to animation so every particle gets only one value per animation/life.
the pAge condition, or actually all nodes have an input for each setting in the list. so you can overwrite the settings, or mult, or whatever is possible.

use that to get randomness. keep in mind that the pAge works with percent of the lifespan. if you want the particles to change group after a certain age in frames, use treshhold with particle age inputted.

btw, all that info is allready on cgfluids.com :wink:

Wiring the random node’s value1 and value2 to the particle age’s low and hi range did the trick! Thanks! Btw, I am using the demo, hence no renders and no cgfluids.com. I do hope for such a job soon though, there is a studio 'round here :wink:

well, for a tester you do really well I must say! :wink:
I needed much longer to understand and get it controled.

There is the cebas forum (http://www.cebas.de/forums/smf/index.php?board=26.0)
and allready a lot of basic info, which you probably allready know :stuck_out_tongue:

as you’re familiar with the bring to operator. try to born your particles on a specific position. mesh vertices for example, or break a mesh into particles. and connect a memory node to the born/fragment operator with position, alignment, and paritcle input. then later use the bring to operator to bring the particles back into that position and see how easy and cool this is :scream:

yea cg fluids is a good source for info,

a couple experts their…Rif and Joe Scarr, that ari guy. Couple other guys I imagine, THey do some pretty impressive stuff.

Cool test Glacierise, keep on playing. TP does some crazy stuff. That force op is so awesome. It can be used on a per particle basis too, have the force comeing from particle positions…so freaking awesome.

-ANdrew

Here’s the last one - Here I went on further, used initiators, fragmentation (pre-fractured with Rayfire), randomization, etc, it’s all particles!

http://cg.glacierise.com/tp_gunrange.avi

very cool man,
looks like you have a firm grasp on what your doing.