Gi renderer...

I always work real hard on the lighting for my scenes, but no matter how hard I try, I still dont get that nice photon mapping render that GI does, is there any free software or trial version of any Gi render for Maya. or something?

I swear, I’ve tried faking radiosity with a lighting dome, I’ve tried the Raydiffuse plugin, but still i don’t get that great quality that something like Vrender or any other cool Gi render does.

any ideas?

N.T.S.C. = “never twice the same color”
:smiley:

you can try Exluna’s Entropy rendering engine from www.exluna.com and for connection betwen maya and entropy you could use MAYAMAN from animal logic www.animallogic.com

there is also VirtuaLight and the MVL for connection

http://www.3dvirtualight.com/Gallery/MayaVLight.html

http://www.a-toy.net/mvl

Features:

Light sources: Spotlight, Point, Directional, Area light.
Maya shaders: Lambert, Phong, Blinn.
VirtuaLight shaders: PlainSurface and FunctionalSurface.
Image mapping and Bump mapping.
Objects: NURBS surfaces (with tesselation level), Polygonal Meshes (with uv-coordinates).
Camera (fov, depth of field, background, fog, etc…)
Animation
Specific VirtuaLight options for ray-tracing and global illumination (Antialiasing, Monte Carlo irradiance, Photon mapping, Skylight, Sunlight, etc…)

There is also MentalRay witch I didn’t try yet. :frowning:

It’s faster and it’s pretty nice. It isn’t true GI though it has a realy nice feeling.

http://www.3dluvr.com/lightengine3d/

I allways use GI Joe:
www.pixho.com

thanks for the replies, i’ll definetely try all of them… except for raydiffuse :stuck_out_tongue: i tryed it allready… but still thanks for the comment, I DO LIKE IT!! its nice and really good for certain situations.

But anyway thanks to all for taking the time for the replies ill get on trying all of them!!!

ps where can i get mental ray ( i’ve heard of it but i can’t seem to find a link for download at the alias page…

Anyway

Thanks

Alx

" a reel is a good as it’s worst element" …Dale K. Myers

mental ray costs like $3000

IS it possible for someone to post some small pictures of 1 scene that is rendered with those different renderings-software/plugins ?

Would be very interesting to see them side by side.
(i know this could be hard , as every rendering has tons of settings , altough it is still possible to go with the standard settings ?? or … )

Well, since im going to try all of them.
i’ll get a scene that i have and then ill try all of them with the custom setting . and then perhaps with some alteration on each…

it would be a nice test to show for comparison purposes, and besides… i will still have to do it to render my own
scenes anyway, … so might as well go on and do it!!!

good idea chappo!!!:smiley:

ps. perhaps even get a critique on my work!!
hehe

sincerely
alx

I hear you Axl, I have the same problem, if you wanna compare with me, here’s a simple scene you can use, you just need to create 3 blinn shaders test.mb

and this is a quick test I did using virtual light

the render globals
globals

btw, this is the the first time I used MVL (virtual light)
the results aren’t that great,
I’m sure it could look way better,
I’d love to see other people results with diffrent settings or diffrent plugins :wink:

ciao

No problemo :smiley: ! try this http://alshaheen.net/artists/ you can upload your stuff, they allow direct linking :slight_smile: it’s easy to use and you don’t need a website.

ciao

Every website starts with an index.html :slight_smile:

replace the one on the server with yours ! :slight_smile:

how many lights did you use for the ray-diffuse, and what kind of lights were they?

what were the render times?

aaaannndd… what did you use to render teh second pic??

I don’t see any of your images ???
the link dosen’t work :frowning: I think there’s too many characters, I see … instead of the image name in your link ???

Try linking your image this way
(IMG)your link(/IMG)
but use[ ] insead of ( ) and no space

Krugar’s right, give us more info please :slight_smile: how many lights, render time, processor…

ciao

HEY GUYS SORRY FOR NOT GIVING THE INFO YET
I WILL BUT I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF A FREELANCE JOB, AS SOON AS I FINISH ILL GIVE YOU ALL THE INFO
INCUDING ALL THE TIMES AND THE NEW RENDERS
THANKS FOR THE PATIENCE

:stuck_out_tongue:

AGAIN SORRY

SINCERELY
ALX

Not sure where this thread is going but thought I would comment on lighting. Earlier pixho and raydiffuse were mentioned. I have become set into a solution I like utilizing the best of these two options. Used in conjuction the raydiffuse material and the GIjoe light dome there isnt a better “Fake” solution out there. For a real GI solution I would have to go with entropy, but at this point I am actually likeing my combo solution better for speed and quality. So try mixing the raydiffuse and GI Joe. I’ll try and post an example later on with render stats.

well i posted this thread and i got answers and that is more that GREAT!!!
so first ill like to thank everyone for the info on where to find stuff. thats what i like about this comunity:D
Second, as i said i was working and i couldn’t do any of the things proposed, SPECIALLY the one proposition i liked the most wich was GATTO’S i think that that was a great idea thanks for the scene
so because of that. I decided to begin trying all the renders
and although i just started… its coming along
so i will attach on the message after this a WHOLE LOT OF STUFF
its just the first part of three…
and i have all the info i think necesary Logged
Hope that helps all of us
By The By… since these are JUST TESTS they are not to be looked artistically (well maybe some have just enough quality for that but not really):wink:

here is the first part
ALL GREYS
the second part i call RGB, and the Third, Caustics,but i havent gottent to those yet

sincerely
Alx

well i finally got this to work… sorry i took long in case some one looked and din’t see a link.
This is the first time i do a web page ( yes i know)

but hey i did it Thats what counts

well
here is the mini-site

sorry if it takes long to load… i just did what i could

http://alshaheen.net/artists/alx/default.htm

sincerely

alx:D

hey ! it’s pretty cool, nice little mini-site, now I’d love to see other people stuff with diffrent settings, that would be nice, and it could also be very helpfull :wink:

Other test i’d love to see: BMRT, Virtual light, exluna…

I’ll try something if I have time…

ciao

I’d love to see other examples as well. Possibly displaying a certain pic you believe posses a special render quality from your personnal technique. And dont posting render time, setup info,and rendering package, could be very informative.
I’ll post an example in the morning.

if you want you can also send me the pic and ill put it on the mini site…
ill try and fix it so that its more pleasant more accesible as well as easyer to read

but anyway… ill also add more to it… and also some pieces that are more artistic and pleasant

anyway

hope to see your work

sincerely

alx