Getting an Intel-system

Hello there!

I’m thinking of getting myself an Intel-system for my next computer. (I currently have an AMD Barton 2500 (FSB 333 Mhz) with 1 gig of memory)

I was looking at:

Abit IS7-E Motherboard S478/800mhz I865PE,SATA,ATX,Dual-DDR, LAN
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Boxed PC800 Socket PGA478, 512KB cache
Case: Chieftec Matrix Big Tower Blue w/360W MA-01BL-D P4 / AMD
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis PRO 128MB

I’m planning to reuse my memory (2x512 Kingston pc3200), hard drives, cd-burner etc in my new rig.

Now, I found out that my friend wants to sell his Mobo, cpu, and memory (2x512 PC2700).

His Mobo only has 2 memory slots though and has a FSB of 533 Mhz. The processor is 3.06 GHz. So I was thinking maybe I’ll buy his stuff instead. Now, my questions are:

How big a difference will I “see and feel” with a FSB of 533 instead of FSB of 800?

If I get a new mobo with more memory slots, is it ok to mix PC3200 memories with PC2700?

If I get a new mobo, is it hard to remove the hsf and cpu from the old mobo? (that includes cleaning the cpu, removing old thermal compund).

Are the ATI Radeons really that bad for 3d programs as I have read? (I can’t get a clear answer, even if searching here)

It’s hard to be both a gamer and cg-artist. :smiley:

Quick question…

Why do you need a new computer?

Are you buying a second machine to go along with your first?

Though there will be a difference between a 2500 barton and a 3.0 P4…there isn’t going to be a BIG difference.

Would be like adding 10 hp to a 200 hp car.

Sure it makes a difference…but is it really worth the investment?

I’d save my money and wait for a more substaintal upgrade. Heck, lots of people would kill for a 2500+ barton machine.

Hello Greg, and thanks for the reply. :slight_smile:

I was kind of thinking the very same thoughts as you. The reason I want to go intel is because I do a lot of video editing among other things. My current motherboard (MSI KT4V) “only” supports 160 gig drives, and that only at ATA100. So I was probably looking for upgrading anyway. But I suppose I could get a new motherboard and better cooling for my current system. That would be a lot cheaper. My XP2500 is currently overclocked to a XP2800+ (I changed the multiplier from 11 to the setting of 12.5/13.0)… I’m currently at 46 degrees celsius idle, and it was the same before (probably because I didn’t up the fsb, the mobo only supports 333). But, the system still feels a bit slow, and the benchmarks (i.e. Sisoft Sandra 2004) state that my computer is slower than many P4s. I would really want to get my hands on a chip with hyperthreading. (My friends 3.06 Ghz has it).

But hey, maybe I’m better of with only a new graphics card and monitor. (17 inch is no fun when working with 3d).

I was thinking of keeping the xp2500, for one day maybe set up a small render farm or something. :slight_smile:

don’t?

no seriously i have a 2500+ myself. u won’t see much of a difference. i find computers are never ever fast enough. u always expect them to be faster. how much are you paying for this?

my next upgrade is to get my computer working again (remember the falling out of bed incident?) well i think i disloged my heatsink.
but can’t be bothered soting. the fan seems to be stuttering and a wonderful grinding sound. plus on further inpection on boot up half the ‘‘post/black screen with writing/doss’’ half the writing is white, half is grey? lol. i’'m ignoring it for now - mabey it’ll go way?

but i don’t think that you buying the P4 will help you much. my next next upgrade is either a 3200+ OR if i can get anything(linux) worhtwhile full time on my main computer i’d but a 64 but unfortunetly linux doesn’t have a few of the apps i am used too running on it YET.

regards.

Thank you Milkyman for your response.

I’ll be getting my friends parts dirt-cheap, so I’ve decided to buy them. (they have only been used since July/August). And hey, I will be keeping my 2500 too.

Now I just have to find a good guide on how to remove HSFs and how to clean cpus. :slight_smile: It’s kinda hard to reply when I have to wait for moderators to release my posts. But it’s understandable that they have that rule though. :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

/Petri

EDIT: Oh, I can reply to posts normally now. Yay! I had written a reply to GregHess before. Let’s see when it shows up.

You could always just get a PCI controller card to add more/larger drives to your system. That will be a lot more economical than buying an whole new system just so you can add more storage.

i don’t think hes adding drives for storage stephen.

Q: If I get a new mobo with more memory slots, is it ok to mix PC3200 memories with PC2700

A: yes, i’ve done it before. memtest86.com. stick it on a floppy or cd rom if you seem to be having trouble with the ram.

Q: Are the ATI Radeons really that bad for 3d programs as I have read? (I can’t get a clear answer, even if searching here)

A: yes. quadro FX’s are the way to go for CG. geforce 4 for gaming. in my opinion. it would depend on budget as to what i would reccomend / go for.

Q: If I get a new mobo, is it hard to remove the hsf and cpu from the old mobo? (that includes cleaning the cpu, removing old thermal compund).

A: if u don’t know what u are doing it could be hard. check on the arrctic silver 3 site for a reasonable guide o this. greg will get u the link - i’m lazy. extremetech.com seems to have the best guide on building computers. or you could leave the heatsink n’stuff where it is.

Q: How big a difference will I “see and feel” with a FSB of 533 instead of FSB of 800?

A: not much. its more marketing than performance on intels behave.

good luck!

edit:

Q: How big a difference will I “see and feel” with a FSB of 533 instead of FSB of 800?

i always think iven if u go from 300mhz to 2500+ it never fast enough.

as long as u don’t see problems (windows) and don’t feel (a kick in the teeth/wallet) everythings great.

the only thing you will notice is that u don’t have problems/slow down. perhaps if you like encoding dvds . . . (20 bucks a go i can’t afford to buy so . . . ) you might see a difference. also its worth noting that many apps don’t use hyper threading so you might not notice the added performance that brings.

Thank you stephen2002 and milkyman for your replies! =)

I told my friend yesterday that I’ll be buying his stuff. It doesn’t leave a big hole in my wallet since I have been saving up for a new system. Since I’m saving a lot of money from buying his parts, I might consider a Quadro as you suggested, but for now, my Geforce4Ti4200 will do. :slight_smile:

I found the installation instructions on Arctic Silver’s homepage. Very good with many pictures. I built my recent system myself, and had no problem putting the heatsink on top of the cpu (and I’ve heard it’s even easier with Intel. And Intel has nice pics and installation instructions on their site. I also saw that they had removal instructions too). The reason I want to get a new mobo for the P4 is because I want expansion possibilities. :slight_smile: But I’ll give the one I’ll getting a whirl, just to see how it runs. =)

Thank you once again. =)

Originally posted by milkyman
[B]
Q: Are the ATI Radeons really that bad for 3d programs as I have read? (I can’t get a clear answer, even if searching here)

A: yes. quadro FX’s are the way to go for CG. geforce 4 for gaming. in my opinion. it would depend on budget as to what i would reccomend / go for.
[/B]

No. I have 2 P4 3gig systems here, both with Radeon 9800 Pros and have not encountered a single problem. Cinema 4D, Maya, XSI and lightwave all run without a single problem. The main problem you might encounter would be if you start using dual screens. Alias etc don’t talk to ATI as often as they do with Nvidia it seems.

If you have a choice of Geforce 5900 and Radeon 9800, then there will be little between them. After using nvidia cards for years (Geforce 256, geforce 2gts, geforce 3ti500, geforce 4mx, geforce 4 ti4200, geforce fx5600) I decided to pick the Radeon due to the very poor directx 9 scores that the nvidia cards were getting. the ati drivers arent as extensive as the nvidia ones, but they contain everything you’d really need such as refresh rates, gamma, overlay controls, mipmap levels etc.

Ah, I’m very pleased to hear that, Imashination. =) Especially now when the Radeons have started dropping in price here in Sweden (finally). :thumbsup:

I won’t be using a dual screen setup for a looong time… there simply isn’t enough room on my desk. :slight_smile:

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.