German TUTORIAL: UV Mapping mit Maya 5

I wrote an easy to understand tutorial for the mystery of UV Mapping. It is in german Language, but maybe you english speaking MAYA pals might use it as well due to a lot of screenshots you can follow :wink:

UV Mapping mit MAYA 5

it is in PDF format, 6 sides long and 371kb heavy

regards

psycho

hmmm nice tutorial but what do we learn with it? how to use spherical oder cylindrical mappings on highres heads and how to waste tons of texturespace? I don’t mean to be rude but it is really not that good if someone wants to learn how to create stretchfree, clean and efficient unwrapping :shrug:

well…i mean its a beginners tutorial…it would be enough to get pples like meself started at least…

a reluctant buttrock but buttrock worthy:buttrock:

Originally posted by Neox
hmmm nice tutorial but what do we learn with it? how to use spherical oder cylindrical mappings on highres heads and how to waste tons of texturespace? I don’t mean to be rude but it is really not that good if someone wants to learn how to create stretchfree, clean and efficient unwrapping :shrug:

well it was ment for noobs to leard how to start unwrapping in general…there are better ways to do but sometimes rough to handle for kinda new to 3d designers…

@ wgreenlee1: good look ! lemme see, how the process goes :wink:

regards

psycho

Originally posted by Neox

Have you done any tutorials on clean uv wrapping with zero distortion and no uv overapping?
Have you done any tutorials covering uv mapping?
If you have then could you direct me to them so that I could take a peek at your tutorials … thx

PsychoSilence

I could see what you were getting at here and I would agree that it does seem like a basic tutorial for new users, at least covering the groundwork of uv mapping in maya thx for putting in the effort nice job :slight_smile:

thank you very much for the kind words dirkusrhombas ! Much apprechiate that ! :slight_smile: :beer:

the aim was in deed to make a quite easy to get tutorial wich provides success to the modeller…if you see wich mapping works with wich kinda model my job is done. for the details of stratchfree texturing there are a few tutorials allready…but covering the basic work i didn´t make it to find a german tut jet :shrug:

@psycho as i said i didn’t meant to be rude :slight_smile:
its ok for beginners but you could at least try to arrange the uv parts better on the map and not just use autoarranging tools :wink:

@dirkusrhombas

no, why should I? there are good tutorials out there even for maya :wink: use the search engine of cgtalk, i remember a pretty good tutorial, i guess it was by leviatheme but i’m not quite sure :slight_smile:

jep, didn´t understand that as a rude comment !

ley i could introduce the cut and sew options but for noobs this would be quite tough to handle…layout UVs is the easyest way to get a map to work with imo…not the finest and professional way no point about that.

PsychoSilence your tutorial is very good! and I give you two reasons:

1. UV mapping is very important, and very hard, so, look a mapping process is allways good for a noob like me.

2. I can practice my German that I have a little “lost” :thumbsup:

cheers! :beer:

WOW ! then you´ve got double the fun :smiley: :thumbsup:

improving UVs and german too :beer:

:bounce: :applause: Realy amazing!
a good idea about bumping.it was my hope.
thanksssssss:bounce:

i´m glad that it helped you out :slight_smile: :wavey:

it´s my plesure if you come forth with mapping skills :slight_smile:

:thumbsup:Realy you are ok.
Specialy that i am not stronge in uv mapping and i have always many problem with it.
at the last days i have installed DEEP PAINT 3D .
I like to know your idea about it.so pretty.
good luck to you dear PSYCHOSILENCE.

oh you´re welcome ! hope you can handle most of it since it´s a german tutorial…

i never tried deep paint jet :frowning: i manage most of th mapping with photoshop and some selected paintFX or FUR…

because i mdell mostly poly i can´t juist start painting on the surcface i have to draw curves and attach the brush to it :frowning: but it´s a more precise technique i guess…

let me know about your process with UV mapping ! drop em a note or so :wink:

Ohhh.Thanks dear psychosilence.
very good.
Becouse of i am new in maya i dont know how to start.of course now my real problem is work on mountains. I creat and sculpt them but at mapping time i have many problems with them. I wish could use your good ideas and experiences.I think that this part i could increase my ability in mapping by your science. I send there my mountain or any special object that you suggest for working.Im waiting for your reply.
Thanks again dear psychosilence :thumbsup:

oh, if you create mountains there are many ways to do.

first: create a plane (nurbs or poly…doesn´t matter) then hit ctrl+a (attribute editor) and there add a bump or displacement map like noise or marble to your matrial. with a bump value like 3 or even 5 you should get some mountain…

second: create a polygon plane and use the sculpt polygon tool to dodge around the surface.

third: create a poly plane. subdivide it a serveral times so you´ve got some vertecies (those purple points) you can drag in a direction…now just push and pull your vertecies and you´re done…

:buttrock: Thanks Dear Psychosilence!
Fist thanks for oyur guidelines but almost i know these ways.I couldn`t tell you my mean.My problem in the mountains is not modeling of them.My original problem is the UV mapping without using the software tools such as noise and mountain texture.
I like to lead any part of the mountain material as i want.
For example:
I have created a mountain with any modeling tool(nurbes or polymodeling)and already i have my object.now i like to give a material to it by its self topography.for example a special material for high lands and another material for middlelands and …
At all I give a special material to every where i like.
Thanks again for your interest to me
:buttrock:

hey no prob :slight_smile: it´s my plesure to help, that´s why we all are her for :beer:

have you tried a rampshader wich fades two different materials like the highlands and the lower regions ? just try not to add two (or even more) differetn colors to the ramp but two images (or even entire materials !)…

Hi realy good guy
I have tested it in the max.there(max)we have a gradiant ramp for creating a color ramp.in the max we cann`t change the position of these ramps.Only they move verticaly.
This is so amazing to test your suggestion(rampshader).
But i wish it be completely manipulatable.
:thumbsup:

well it is ! try ramps and layered shaders in co-existence. maybe i´ll create a mountain and tex it with a ramp to show you ! gimme like a day of time.