General Questoins: Alias Studio Tools

hi all

in a try to use Studio Tools i found some similareties and differences.

one of the problems i faced is that i dont know where to find “snap to curve” in Studio Tools.
also it would be nice to know places of all "snap"s in Studio Tools.

another problem i faced. or actually a big question mark rather than a problem is this window:-

i dont know why Alias | Wavefront did this… what is the point of deviding Studio Tools in these sections?

also what is each section for?

what is 1,2,3 and 4. also what is a,b,c and d?

and please answer these questoins… it is very important for me

how do you evaluate Studio Tools’s render compared to Maya’s render?
how do you evaluate Studio Tools’s animation compared to Maya’s animation?
how do you evalute Studio Tools’s particle systems compared to Maya\s particle systems?
how do you evalute Studio Tools’s dynamics compared to Maya’s dynamics?

is that true that Studio Tools does not have animation and this is why there is no time line?
is that true that Studio Tools does not have texturing?

please post here if you know any thing about this application because it is very important for me…

thanks in advance

Wow you must be pretty mad to have plunked down 65,000 USD and have all those really basic questions go unanswered. Better get in contact with Alias buddy.

You know that you can get Studiotools on the internet easy, like everything :wink:

Good God, Studio Tools is 65 grand?! What’s the advantage?

Seems like it’s just more dialogue boxes.

Studio tools starts at 9,000 for the base package and goes all the way up to 65,000 USD for the automotive package that mr.eech55 has selected in his screenshot. AutoStudio is a specialized industrial design package for the automotive industry, which it is a dominant player in. Studio tools has alot of really powerful tools for class A surfacing, diagnostics, manufacturing etc. It’s an industrial design package. Not really something someone working in the entertainment areas of CG would be interested in.

Ah, gotcha. Good to know.

Thanks

Try reading the manual and if you don’t have one then for obvious reasons you shouldn’t be asking questions like this here.

Jesus, ever think maybe he might have gotten the learning edition that they have available for order on their site? I got it to check it out. It’s not like because someone has an app like this they immediately pirated it.

i didnt buy the application, and showing a screenshot does not mean nesesarly that i am using it on my pc.

i didnt want to talk about useless details like how i got that screen shot and where was Studio Tools installed. but it seems that mr.lyr likes to hear a story before sleeping.

actually i was sitting on my frend’s pc who has studio tools, so if you are feel celever and want to be a police man please talk to him and not me. by the way, he works for a design company… do you want the company name, tel and fax?

how did you know that studio tools coasts 65,000 USD for automotive pack?
when i checked alias web page i found the following:-
$249.00
StudioTools Design Collection

feel celever and want to check ur self?
here you go
http://store.alias.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry?SP=10007&SID=41107&CID=0&CUR=840&DSP=0&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

=====================

no one did answer my questions

again…

one of the problems i faced is that i dont know where to find “snap to curve” in Studio Tools.
also it would be nice to know places of all "snap"s in Studio Tools.

another problem i faced. or actually a big question mark rather than a problem is this window:-

i dont know why Alias | Wavefront did this… what is the point of deviding Studio Tools in these sections?

also what is each section for?

what is 1,2,3 and 4. also what is a,b,c and d?

and please answer these questoins… it is very important for me

how do you evaluate Studio Tools’s render compared to Maya’s render?
how do you evaluate Studio Tools’s animation compared to Maya’s animation?
how do you evalute Studio Tools’s particle systems compared to Maya\s particle systems?
how do you evalute Studio Tools’s dynamics compared to Maya’s dynamics?

is that true that Studio Tools does not have animation and this is why there is no time line?
is that true that Studio Tools does not have texturing?

please post here if you know any thing about this application because it is very important for me…

thanks in advance

I’m not a Studio Tools user, so I’m not 100% sure. But in the interest of defusing a potential finger-pointing “You Bastid!” thread: is there help available from the Program group under the start menu?

Like Maya has "Start Maya Docs Server" under the Alias Wavefront program group.

Also, there may be a forum at Alias Wavefront or more Studi Tools-specific forums out there. Try a quick Google search for “Studio Tools help”.

I, for one, have heard of Studio Tools in passing but have seen little done in that particular software in this forum. Of course, I haven’t been around that long :).

Around the forums, I mean. I’m not a toddler.

I never said anything about getting the software through piracy. Being a bit defensive aren’t you? Also you might want to reread that that link you posted, it’s for LEARNING MATERIALS, not the Studio Tools software. Perhaps you would have better luck getting your answers out of your friend that works with Studio Tools eech55

First of all the StudioTools Design Collection is a collection of learning DVD’s, not the actual product.

Second, I work at Alias and as a developer I get that startup screen when I install Studio…I usually choose AutoStudio and continue on. I actually did not know that customer copies had the same screen, and I am pretty certain that the PLE version does not have it.

Third, if your friend works at a design company, and actually has Studio installed, why can he not answer your questions? I would think if someone had modelled ANYTHING in Studio then they would have had to figure out how to snap to a curve. And “does it have animation?”, or “does it have texturing?”…are you serious? I mean, if you didn’t stumble onto these in the program then you could have at least read up about it on the Alias web site.

If you have actual questions about Studio I have always found http://www.cardesignnews.com/to have a good forum of Studio users.

kgkraeer: I think the only image I have seen created in Studio around here recently is the red Audi that was on the front page a month-or-so ago.

Sweet, I’ll look for that Audi. I’m guessing it’s one of the best car models ever, if it was on the front page and created by somebody fluent with automotive 3D software.

please this subject is about how to do some thing in studio tools and not about the legal usage.
i know copying and taking softwares without valid licens are not allowed
but i dont know that asking questions about how things you dont own is not allowed either!

coppieng is not allowed, but learning is allowed.
i am not asking to give me some thing not allowed.
i am asking for some knowledge about some thing which is allowed.

he is my frind, but not my teacher
he can let me to use his pc while he is doing some thing else, but this does not mean that he has time to teach me.
he is a designer, but not a teacher.

what is the problem?
this thread is about very simple questions about Studio Tools
want to asnwer? you are more than welcome

the title of this subject is “general questions”, so tell me what do you expect here?
advanced questons?
or silly questions for a biggener?

i know are you are an expert, this is why you see my questions as silly questions

i know how to use maya because i use it. but i dont know how to use studio tools because i didnt use it enough as i used maya.
oh, and do you want me to profe that i bought Maya?

you are fighting about some thing else, and leaving the main point
until now… i didnt recieve any useful post!!!
if you are feeling very legal, please dont waste my time…
you can waste your time coz you own it, but plz dont waste my time coz you dont own it.

i am not ready to answer silly questions any more… i only expect serios posts…

thanks about telling me about prices and what is in alias.com web site.

also thanks for giving me that link (car designers dot com)… i am serios in learning what things can be done and how they can be done in studio tools.

returing back to owr main subject…

snaping to vertex is done by mouse+Ctrl
snaping to grid is done by mouse+Alt
i still dont know about curve snaping and any other snaps available in studio tools

some one told me that studio tools does not have texturing
is this true?

how do you compare studio tools texturing with maya
why people say studio tools is for design while maya is for animation?
does it because studio tools can not do some things while maya could?

waiting for answers…

If you really need comparisons on Studio vs. Maya in particular cardesingnews would be a good place to start. Do a search in their forms because I am sure others have asked the same questions. If you don’t look around first, I am sure you will get similar negative responses as here. Lots use Maya around here but not much Studio…but a lot of Studio users have experience in Maya as well so your luck would be better there.

I have modelled a TINY bit in Studio but not enough to compare the two really…have done zero animation in it and only rendered a few spheres so can’t compare the two in those either.

You cannot compare them directly they are used in a completely different context, they are complementary to each other.

Get the other CD off your “desinger friend” as they contain beginer tutorials which will get you started…

The fundemental purpose of StudioTools is to create a concept design and take it to a stage which can be either manufactured from StudioTools or for something more complex like a car be feed into an engineering package to carry out more engineer detail…

eech, with the number teenagers on here posting stupid questions it becomes self evident just how much pirated software is being used. When someone post such questions about studio tools, people start reading between the lines wether you are innocent or not. Its quite sad actually how many childish posts are on this board, which i dare say has reduced the maturity of this forum. I often bite my tongue on such posts that with a little effort could be solved without much ado.

So let it blow over and hopefully everyone will have forgotten it all in month or so.

And use more discretion eech. The Maya forum has a lot of professionals that contribute a great deal of knowledge and patience…(cant say that for all of the forums on CGtalk)

and by the way…

Studio Tools is an engineering app for product and automotive design. Its meant for creating designs intended to be built by machine so it needs to be incredibly accurate just as AutoCad is for Architecture. If your doing this is a hobby and just playing around (which is why people are accusing u) you are wasting your time…

Its not intended for creating pretty renders…and unless you intend to get an education in Industrial Design or the likes…stick with maya.

thanks goleafsgo, kabab and 2byts.

i am now participated in car designers dot com
and posted the same question there
but they are fewer than here and posts are much less

so studio tools is made to create very acurate designs and then send it to production section where they produce the design (car or what ever)

does studio tools has Mental Ray? i am sure if it has it then there is no problem with rendering.
tell me whether if studio tools has Mental Ray or not

what about texturing, animating, sceletons, dynamics, fur, cloth…etc? how do you compare it to studio tools

the information you’re looking for can be found from here:

[http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/studiotools/file/studio_specsheet.pdf](http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/studiotools/file/studio_specsheet.pdf)

/risto