General opinions on CARTOONS?

I just wanted to start this…because of all the hubbub going on about cartoons…I personally am a big fan of them, especially the classics. After all…it’s what got me start drawing. But I just wanted to get everyones opinions…if this is the wrong place to do it…please move this thread or delete it. I apologize in advance:)

:beer:
first vote, yesssss!

I absolutely LOVE cartoons. They are the reason I got into art in the first place, and are my first love when it comes to art. I don’t know what I would do w/o cartoons. I know I would have had to go outside more often when I was a kid!! I still watch cartoons to this day…and its pretty much all I do in 3D also. Long live cartoons!! :bowdown:

hmm tough one…
of course being an animator I will forever love cartoons.
BUT, Im sure many will admit that the classics are the great ones, and anything after the 80s besides a few (Ren and Stimpy, Simpsons…etc) are just ‘6 frames per second’ crap!
I dunno, being older, I hate anything like DragonballZ, Pokemon, etc…and anything that uses simple mouth movements!
:slight_smile:
of course, things like Heavy Metal rocked! Too bad HM2 sucked ass!
:frowning:
Who remembers Star Blazers and the Wave Motion gun?! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by HowardM
I dunno, being older, I hate anything like DragonballZ, Pokemon, etc…and anything that uses simple mouth movements!
:slight_smile:

I agree with you completely HowardM. All this Anime creeping into America sucks. I’m sure there is plenty of good anime out there (Akira, Princess Mononoke, etc…) but the crap we get for series just suck. I do like Digimon for some reason though (clean animation, cool looking characters). I just find most Anime pointless and confusing. The stories aren’t interesting or believable and it seems there is violence for violence sake, not to further the story in ANY way. Just my opinion though…I’m sure I’ll get flamed for that comment. Anime fans seem to be a bit zealous about there hobby. My favs right now are simple things like Powerpuff Girls and Dexters Lab…I also like the new HeMan (new Transformers sucks ass though…which is disappointing). Samurai Jack is OK at times, but gets rather monotinous after a while. Not much of a story in those episodes IMO.

Originally posted by HowardM
Too bad HM2 sucked ass!

I TOTALLY AGREE!

The first one rocked my casbah, then the second one was the biggest disappointment since bread…

Guilty, I love them. In fact I have them on every afternoon. Yet I have never rendered out a celshaded scene myself. But thats about to change!
Anybody seen the new AstroBoy? Anygood?

I personally enjoy some cartoonish stuff, especially Pixar and Dreamworks style - the type of stuff that has cartoon modelling and proportions, but realistic (or hyper realistic) shading and lighting. I think that the look of Shrek epitomises the type of cartoon work that I love.

However, I’ve just never been into making anything like that. I love watching those films, but I probably wouldn’t be too attracted to a job at Pixar, simply because my heart isn’t really in it.

As for TV cartoons, they were just never my bag, baby.

Originally posted by Leigh
However, I’ve just never been into making anything like that. I love watching those films, but I probably wouldn’t be too attracted to a job at Pixar, simply because my heart isn’t really in it.

All the stuff I have seen you do is a lot more on the realistic side of the spectrum…especially your amazing textures. What type of jobs are you most attracted to? ILM/Digital Domain realistic sci-fi/fantasy type stuff? And personally, I think Pixars films are all starting to look a bit generic and stale. Not that they aren’t good, just that they all look alike. Where is the creativity in that? Shrek I love though…although it follows the same sort of cartoon/realistic style of Pixar.

HELL YESS…The first channel that must be working on cable when ever I move is Cartoon Network. Cartoon Disney and Nickelodeon come close seconds. Have always loved them and will always love and watch them.

The whole quality of animation is relative. Sure there ia an abundance of anime out now and that seems to be the big thing but the quality of it really cannot be chalked up to it being anime. I remember Voltron was the best when I was young but watching it now I realize just how bad it was. Same thing for The Littles, Pound Puppies, Speed Racer, etc…

~L~

Even though I go to bed late in the weekends, I can’t help getting up early to record the cartoons on saturday and sunday mornings and watch them once I’ve got enough sleep. For those that are wondering why I don’t set an automatic recording, well, it’s just never on when they say it will. :slight_smile:

So I guess my answer is: Yes!

[ul]
Hehehe… I live in cartoon heaven! Japan.

You all should see what the TV guide looks like here. :smiley:

Cartoons in the morning till noon when the soaps take
over till anout 3:30 and then on the top three or four
networks it’s cartoons till ~7:00. Then at around midnight
guess what? No not old movies… Yup, old Cartoons! :smiley:

My favorite right now Atomu - A remake from the early 60s
( http://en.tezuka.co.jp/ )! Woe, this is even better than
Toriyama Akira’s DragonBall series! da’kine!!!

:bounce:

[li] http://www.35degrees.com/PhotoPages/atomu.html
[/li][li] http://www.angelfire.com/mt/astroboy/
[/li][li] http://www.stonebridge.com/ANIMECYCLO/animecyclo.html
[/li][li] http://www.rightstuf.com/resource/gh_beginning.shtml
[/li][li] http://www.tapanime.com/info/history.html (The Creator)
[/li][li] http://www.cyberlancers.com.au/grumpy/injapan2/tetsuwan_atomu.html
[/li][li] http://en.tezuka.co.jp/anime/alphabet/a.html
[/li][/ul]

Anothe big YES… :slight_smile:

(havent read the others, sorry, no time, so bare with me if i´m not adding, but this is my opinion…)

One interesting Question will be, if Toons are a symplistic way of looking at reality, OR, a better(deeper) way to look at it (enhancing the essence of a char-thing-whatever)… i dont have a proper answer fot this myself…

But i believe there´s something for sure…

One of the strongest values on an art-thingy is the amount of identification(i´ve also been there, that is my feeling too…) of the viewer…

And i think that if something is very concrete, there´s less amount of viewers who will identificate with that…

now follow that path thinking about toons as archetypes of things in reality…so theres broader range of ppl to like(feel the same) them…

just some thoughts…

sorry about my crappy english, its always the same, for chit-chat is perfect but anytime I try something more serious i dont find vocabulary…

In short i think toons are great, and actually quite much more difficult than realism…

later…

your classsics and good anime i love but msot of the cartoons produced today ( not including real japanesse anime ) are rubbish - you get ones that are jsut plain stupid beyond words and the other are all about moral storys

what ahppened ot good old tom and jerry and silvester and hmmmm tweaty somethign or other

the moral was still tehre but it was hiden under some good old fashioned humour and fun

Cartoons aren’t my thing, but cartoon characters are.

You know it’s decieving, often people are under a misconception that just because the character looks simple, it is simple and easy to make.

I find it the opposite. I can do realistic or detailed models, yet I still find the cartoon characters the hardest.

Originally posted by VWTornado
All the stuff I have seen you do is a lot more on the realistic side of the spectrum…especially your amazing textures. What type of jobs are you most attracted to? ILM/Digital Domain realistic sci-fi/fantasy type stuff?

Well, I’m into visual effects. I’ve been working in visual effects for quite a few years now, and that’s what my big passion is. At the moment I am working on a dinosaur documentary! :slight_smile:

I love feature films and that is why I work in VFX.

for my part i really like cartoon and enjoy to do sme cartoony stuff in 3d … working most of the time under strong NDA and doing realstic stuff that i am not alowed to show …( aeronautic stuff…and some prototype visualisation )
i does the cartoon stuff to have a balance in my work …a sort of relaxation thing …:wavey:

here ist one of my favorit guys :slight_smile:

www.satzhard.com

mike

I love cartoons - my cartoon DVD collection outnumbered my actual movie DVD collection until my wife got me the Alien 9 disc set for Christmas. (I have a cool wife…) Oldies but goodies (Looney Tunes, Ren & Stimpy, Thundercats, Transformers, the original He-Man, Scooby Doo, Animaniacs, Tiny Tunes, etc.) are almost always the best, but I really like some of the newer cartoons as well - Dexter’s Labratory, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ed, Edd and Eddy, Justice League, the early Batman, etc.

And some of the animated movies coming out today are really amazing me on a fairly regular basis, just with story line alone. I mean, seriously, Monsters Inc, Lilo and Stitch, Jimmy Neutron, what have you…

To make a long story short (too late) - Love the cartoons! Here’s hoping the form continues to evolve and mature and never loses its’ inner child! :bounce:

Tom and Jerry !!! The best.