games model texturing problems

hi im just doing my first piece of texturing in maya and ive come across a problem.

i want to apply 2 textures to a single model, in MAX id use material ID’s and in XSI id use clusters, whats mayas equivilent?

ive unwrapped my model but obviously what will be too seperate texture sheets are untop of each other so how do i seperate the UV’s into 2 groups and apply a seperate texture to each UV group? ive looked at Uv sets but the help is rather vague

many thanx!

Does it have to be a single shader? Just make a new lambert material, apply it to the appropriate faces, then load your second texture file.

Originally posted by commy
[B]hi im just doing my first piece of texturing in maya and ive come across a problem.

i want to apply 2 textures to a single model, in MAX id use material ID’s and in XSI id use clusters, whats mayas equivilent?

ive unwrapped my model but obviously what will be too seperate texture sheets are untop of each other so how do i seperate the UV’s into 2 groups and apply a seperate texture to each UV group? ive looked at Uv sets but the help is rather vague

many thanx! [/B]

I haven’t yet had a need to apply two seperate textures t othe same object (usually I just seperate the objects). I know what you mean aboyut max’s material ID’s, and I don’t think there’s a vdirect equiv to the multi/sub texture in maya. Sorry, maybe someone else has more info.

As far as the second problem goes, they shouldn’t be overlapping unless your projection method caused them to be. (ie planar mapping on things that lie one ontop of another). Its hard to tell what you’re talking about based on your description so I’m not clear if I fully understand what you have, and what you want to achieve. If you use maya’s Automatic Mapping, everything should get UV’s in the 0 to 1 space with no overlapping. Also, automapping is really good about maintaining the proper spacing between verts/UV’s so I usually like it better than using a projection.

But if you cant or don’t want to (ie want to use already existing maps), the only thing I can think of would be to select all of the faces of your second object. open the uv texture editor and go to Select/Convert Selection to UV’s and then move that set of UV’s out from under the first object.

actualy there wa sno 2nd problem lol lemme explain :slight_smile:

ok say im texturing the head seperate to the body, ive unwrapped everything but obviously because they will be seperate textures both the head and body occupy the same area in the UV editor so iff i apply 1 texture then its repeated once on the head and once on the body, but because they will infact be different textures its ok.

dunno if thats clearer but if u think of it like layers 1 layer will use 1 colour the 2nd layer another but looking at them together u get a mix

How did you create the UV’s? Is it from different projections (ie one for the head, one for the arm etc etc?) Were they created in Maya, or inherited from anoth app (ie max/xsi)?

Anyways, I think I understand you now :slight_smile: I haven’t dealt with UV sets and it sounds like thats what you want :slight_smile: sorry 'bout that…

i just unwrapped them normaly in maya, make a projecting start cutting and pulling and pushing till its all nice n neat, ive not actualy put them ontop of each other yet there scattered around till im sorted im just saying thats what id do in XSI or max then use clusters or mat ID’s to group them.

somebody must know :frowning: i need to know this for an interview! i think ive worke dout how to use UVsets but how do i apply different materials to different UV sets? the UV linker doesnt let me assign different materials to different sets?

Hey, I just started learning Maya and came across this problem. Perhaps it’s not the official way, but to me it seems that the only way is to just select Faces and apply another material to those faces.

commy…just select the poly faces and assign the appropriate shader to them(RMB over the shader in HyperShade while poly faces are selected and choose Assign Shader to Selection). Dont bother with UVsets unless u want to use Lightmapping or create Labels n stuff. Also, in your case (if i understand the question) proper UVs are irrelevant to the number of Shading Groups(material id in max) u want to have.

that simple…

this will create the seperate Shading groups automatically…which is Maxes Material Id.

If you want a single poly to have 2 textures assigned to it…then you will need to use Layered Texture or Layered Shader.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.