Game worlds that are Different every time

I’ve never actually played a game where the world is different every time you play it, but I’ve heard of them. What I wanted to know is - how would you author such a world? Standard 3d packages like Max/Maya/whatever, I don’t think are…apt, for such a task?? The broader question is - how could such a software be made? How would it function? Hoping to spark some stimulating discussion with this…

There are many procedural games, actually. It depends on how “different” you expect the worlds to be. “Dead Cells” is fully procedural, so the levels are different each time you play, but the THEME on a given level remains the same for that level. It’s just a different maze, basically. But it adds soooo much playability to the game, which is an excellent one. It’s a 2D side-scroller “Metro-Vania” game, not 3D, but a great example of procedural design.

Then you have games like No Mans Sky, a space/FPS game where you can travel to an endless amount of worlds. Unfortunately, they’re all crap. But it’s a cool concept. The worlds are generated procedurally, meaning each one has a different algorithm processed upon creation. But you get bored after the first two.

Then you have games like Everspace, a space dogfighting game. The levels are all procedural and completely different each time. The layouts, the stars, the planets, everything. The asteroids. The space wreckage. It’s beautiful and among the best modern games. Try that one sometime if you like space fights at all, it’s a great game! Just, it’s still a space dogfighting game. But it’s the best one ever made.

Yeah, so how do you AUTHOR such things? (Are there even any softwares for this, or are they just coded by hand??) Is there any good literature on this subject??

Hi… no one knows?? :frowning:

Use Unreal.

Try Everspace and you’ll see. It’s beautiful; easily the best-looking space game ever made.

Have a look through the posts on here: https://www.reddit.com/r/proceduralgeneration

There are quite a few users who are working on their own procedural generated games.

Thanks for that link.