Game Art Competition #8

AndyH laid out the rules so well last time, I just ganked parts of his thread from last comp. So props to him.

RULES/GUIDELINES:
Topic: Supervillains from movies or comic books. It can be an original character, but you have to provide concept art or reference images. Try to go for someone who LOOKS really menacing. If someone can look at this character for the first time, and see right away that it’s evil and menacing, then you’re on the right track.

The models made must be 3000 TRIANGLES or less - including their props and accessories.

Maximum texture size is 1024x1024. You can use 3 maps - Diffuse, Alpha Transparency, and Specular/Normal Map. I don’t really see a reason to have a specular AND normal map, but you can use either. There’s a new thread on normal maps, and nVidia has a tool for photoshop to convert from height maps, if you prefer.

SUBMISSIONS:
Same as before, a thread must be started in the appropriate forum so feedback and progress reports can be posted. As in the previous contest, multiple entries will not be allowed, so post your choice in this thread.

Your WIP thread should be named as follows:

Game Art Comp 8: (Characters name) - (Movie/Comic Title)

Example:

Game Art Comp 8: Boba Fett - Star Wars

If it is an origianl character, you should use:

Game Art Comp 8: (Character Name) - Original Work

Make sure you post in your WIP thread, so you can get feedback as you progress. Half the fun of the contest is seeing the progression!

1. Reference image/s of your selected character. As clear as you can get them, showing as much of the character as possible - especially if it is a little known character. This makes life easier for the judges.

2. 1 perspective view, 1 orthographic front view, and 1 orthographic side view screencaps of the model. They should be viewport captures of the solid wireframe view mode (or equivalent), with no texturing visible. Compile the 3 views into one image.
    Make sure you use default viewport lighting and hide any items that may obscure these screencaps (bones, lights, cameras etc…)

3. Selection of perspective images showing off your character at different angles, or in different poses (if rigged). Images should be compiled into one picture, and it must be no bigger than 1024x768.

4. Show us the texture for the character.
    One image showing the texture used. If you want, you can overlay the UVs on top to show them unwrapped.

5. A single posed image - Pose your model and render it with a background. Render it as you see fit, and use whatever methods you feel will portray it well. There are no limitations other than the model must be posed. If your model is not rigged, then it should be deformed into a pose. Make the image no bigger than 800x600.

DEADLINE
The contest begins as right now, and ends July 4th. That’s 3 solid weeks to do your collective thing.
On July 4th, I will create a thread titled “Game Art Competition #8 Submissions” Your final images (all in the same post) should be posted in there for the judging. No one can make comments in that forum, leave that for the individual participant’s threads.

JUDGING
I need Judges to volunteer - As always, the system is…

3 points for 1st place
2 points for 2nd place
1 point for 3rd place

Judges are asked to make their decision based on mesh construction, flexibility, poly density/topology, UVW mapping, and texture painting, with a strong emphasis on the credibility and likeness of the character.

Current judges are:

Lekku
CgMonkey
Dargon
Neil
Ivars
Bentllama
AndyH
Kman

PRIZE
The winner of this competition will get to choose the subject and terms of the next competition.

Thanks to Kman and AndyH for letting me run this one.

sounds good. i hope i can finish my other thing im doing now to work on this one.

Nice to see it finally starting again.
I might give this one a miss - ive got me new job to keep me busy, and my current project to satisfy my itch for polygon based treachery.
I think that its a pretty broad spectrum - someone making The Penguin (from batman returns) may not really be judged fairly in comparison to an original design. I think you need to come up with a clear yes / no list of what can and cannot be chosen. Like, only being able to choose between comic villains, or villains from MOVIE adaptations (spawn, batman, hellboy etc).

Best of luck to all anyways!

ps - dont forget to pester bentllama for constant plugging!

I was hoping for more scary stuff, like the demon guy, from LEGEND, or a Todd MacFarlane baddie. While I totally respect the Penquin (Burgess Merideth over Danny DeVito, anyday…) I don’t really think he is very menacing in his appearance. Sure, he’s devious, but not really scary LOOKING.

Maybe specify that in the rules then!
“entry must be baaaaad as f**k” heheh

I agree - i thought danny devito was pretty scary in batman returns with all that black stuff running down his mouth and all his robotic penguin pals, but the original penguin was waaaay creepier - because of his extreme campness and dainty cigarrette holder!

Of course, I always amalgamated him with his characters from Rocky and the Twilight Zone…

"You’re a BUM! A lousy BUM!!! Mgwah gwah gwah!

Hmmmm maybe my choice was too quickly chosen then eh?

Dude it’s hot in my freakin’ office… someone needs to turn on the air.

sheeeeiiiit!

Thats made my day!

I never realised that the old penguin was actually mick from rocky!! Curse that clubber lang for killing him off!!

I cant believe i didnt realise earlier!

Nice choice by the way, dubu - She’s hella evil!
Hot?? in chicago?? Watching ER gave me the impression that its always snowing over there… hmmmm…

10 months out of the year it’s hella cold. The other 2, it rains burning sulfer down from heaven, driving out hordes of 777 sized nile-virus bearing mosquitos.

Turns out some idiot turned the AC from cool to heat… it’s not nearly as warm here now.

What did I miss? Who did you pick, Dubu?

Lek, I claimed Gogo Yubari by starting a thread in the forum.

You already concepted her? Wow, that was fast!

nah, Sayuri is an old concept of mine… I was just saying that I’m going to shoot for a Gogo that looks like Sayuri stylisticly speaking.

Ah, very good. Okay, people, let’s start making claims!

Are there any specific lighting techniques or rules when showing the model?

Lekku,

ok i’ll post it here. Can i create character from video games also? there is one villian in ZOE2 that would be a great subject for this contest. There isnt any 3D reference of him online, but many 2D reference.

Also does it have to be a humanoid character… what about a robot bad guy from ZOE2?

So what do you say?

EDIT:btw a mod needs to stickly this post and bump it to the top of the forum.

I will plug this on the front page later tonight when I get home… [I am still at work spooging away on the Masterchief]

Good luck with the challenge!

Originally posted by bentllama
[I am still at work spooging away on the Masterchief]

haha. you do realize how bad that sounds for people on here who don’t know what you mean :wink:

Dammit, mister llama - must you always torment us with tales from your dream job?

I wanna work on halo 2 :cry:

Will there be a PC release?

I’m sure it would be fine… because creativity is good… but can we show our INTERPRITATION of that character… or a “my version” of that character and totally change styles?
Why am I asking this? I’m sure it will be a yes. Good to double check though.