Game Art Competition #5

GAME ART COMPETITION #5

edit there are some small changes in the rules, you’re allowed to use 4500 triangles and you must start a wip thread. Hope this doesn’t make you angry >_<

edit2 you’re free to use spec maps too :slight_smile:

THEME: Bring back an old-school pixel character to 3d!

Your goal is to take a pixel character and recreate it in 3d but without using existing design of the official 3d characters (i.e you can’t just take the modelsheet from mario and model him, if you see Mario as a greasy plumber with a tomato-stained wife-beater then make him like that).
You can pick any character you want, it doesn’t have to be a character that hasn’t been done before or hasn’t been turned in to 3d yet as long as you don’t copy the design from the official 3d character.
You’re allowed to exaggerate but the design should stay true to the character.

Here’s some inspiration:
http://www.geocities.com/cyberfenrir/
http://www.angelfire.com/ga4/kickpot/
http://www.vgmuseum.com/forums/index.php

Good Examples are:
Greased up mario with tomato stained shirts or a realistic gothic Link.

RULES/GUIDELINES:
You content will be used for 3d realtime engines.

Models can not exceed 4500 faces (triangles NOT quads). Make efficient use of your faces and make them count.

Models can not use anymore than a single 512x512 32-bit TARGA texture sheet (or 4 256x256). Alpha-, bump-, normal- and spec maps are allowed.

I made the polycount fairly high to meet today standards. 4500 is well enough for any character.

SUBMISSIONS:
Okey for the sake of learning, you have to start a wip thread so everybody can watch your progress.

Game Art Comp 5: (Your Name) : (Old-School Character: Character name)

Example

Game Art Comp 5: (CgMonkey) : (Mario: Grease Mario)

Use that thread for all of your updates, and comments about your work. Others should feel free to post in said threads with comments, crits, questions, and advice. Any questions regarding the contest in general should be posted in THIS thread.

As the contest deadline approaches, I will create a thread titled “Game Art Comp 5 Submissions.” It is here that you should submit all of your final work for judging, IN 1 POST. This will give everyone a chance to see all participant’s work side-by-side. No comments or crits should be made in that thread, save that for people’s individual threads.

DEADLINE
The contest begins as soon as you read this post. The deadline is February 13 - 15. I’m giving everyone the weekend to get their entries in so we can avoid late entries.

JUDGING
We need a few volunteers (4-10) to participate as judges. Once the deadline is reached, each judge will award a set # of points to the entries they like the most based on technical execution, and visual/franchise appeal. If you want to judge say so in this thread, the first 10 will be chosen.
Because the contest is so open ended… I guess judging will be mostly based on how clever/good the entries are. But I still want judges to think about the mesh construction, poly density/topology, UVW mapping, and texturing.
It’s easy to pump polies into a character… but it’s difficult to make very good use of the polies. The same goes for texturing.
So, if an entry looks like it could have been done with less polies than what the artist used… then they will be knocked points. The same goes with the texturing. You can often times get away with using less than a 512x512 texture sheet. If you’re going to use a full 512x512 texture, try your best to make use of all that pixel data. The polies and texture size you use should be justified.

Judging will take place between Febrary 16 - Feabruary 21.

Perhaps it’s a bit too much time but this will allow as many as possible to join the competition.

PRIZE
The winner of this competition will get to choose the subject and terms of the next competition!

LETS BEGIN! “EVERYONES A WINNER WITH GOOD CRITS!!”

Thanks SouL and happypants… I borrowed big parts from your texts! :wink:

Good luck and have fun everyone!

P.S Any issues are resolved in this thread, there’s room for change in the rules!

How much liberty can we take when redesigning characters? I’d like to do Kid Icarus for the competition, but I want to do a Tech’ed up version. Is this allowable? Thanks in advance.

Would the deku tree count as a character?

another great site for inspiration :
http://tsgk.captainn.net/index.html

Originally posted by CgMonkey
[B]GAME ART COMPETITION #5

THEME: You content will be used for 3d realtime engines.

Models can not exceed 3000 faces (triangles NOT quads). Make efficient use of your faces and make them count.

[/B]

Isnt 3000 faces alittle to low, since the modern Quake and HL2 engine ,spec for a character are around 5,000-7,000. depending on genre/character, 3000 might not be enough…can we bring it up to a modern standard.

"What is the polygon budget for models?

We target between 3000 polygons (i.e.: headcrabs) and 7500 polygons (i.e. Alyx, the Gman) for characters and monsters, depending on function and how many we hope to have on-screen simultaneously, and we have several stages of LOD (level of detail) models with drastically reduced polygon counts for when things get smaller in screen space (further away). We’re targeting around 2000 polygons for our viewmodels, which of course do not LOD."

more polygons more detail character to be used for ingame cut scene(also better rigging/skinning results). Of course this doesnt excuse someone to misuses the polygon count. i.e. using 500 polygons on a can of soda.

I think you should require it that everyone who join the contest, to start a WIP. This would help generate more inspiration and let people see your work in progress(get help on your model,C&C amd such). I know we dont have any prize to offer now…but when the time comes, a WIP would be needed so no one is cheating(im not saying anyone is going to cheat).

what about real-time shader are they allowed? like HLSL,cg,DX9 shader. I ask because Link for the gamecube uses realtime cell shader.

I’ll probably do a new version of Link(no more white tights! nintendo, time to mature and grow up)

How about effects? if we create a model which has special effects like fire or something like that, how should that be taken into account?

Originally posted by Beroc-LOD
How about effects? if we create a model which has special effects like fire or something like that, how should that be taken into account?

Well this can be done with real-time shaders…given that its allowed. Or you can use the traditional technique.

are you allowed to team up with someone? I thought teams were encouraged in earlier competitions… cause I the crapiest texture artist ever…

Oh my oh my… >_< Okey first off…

Runefall
Hmm… it’s a difficult question but I don’t think you can, I’m sorry. You should stay true to the original design.

Nostradamus
Yes Deku Tree is a character :slight_smile:

Renderman_XSI
Okey lets go up to 4,500 ? that’s ALOT of polygon and you should be able to get fairly detailed mesh with that amount of polygons.

Beroc-LOD
Hmm… Shaders… Hm… I don’t know… >_<
In that case it should be a shader that is accessable to everyone.

Beaneh
Yeah I know… I deleted that part because of two reasons. One being that those who can’t find a partner to team up with have less chance of winning and another one is that you could try and practice your weakness instead of give it to somebody else. :slight_smile:

ack… guess ill pass than, no way to learn good texturing in 15 days ~_~

Originally posted by CgMonkey
[B]Oh my oh my… >_< Okey first off…

Runefall
Hmm… it’s a difficult question but I don’t think you can, I’m sorry. You should stay true to the original design.

Nostradamus
Yes Deku Tree is a character :slight_smile:

Renderman_XSI
Okey lets go up to 4,500 ? that’s ALOT of polygon and you should be able to get fairly detailed mesh with that amount of polygons.

Beroc-LOD
Hmm… Shaders… Hm… I don’t know… >_<
In that case it should be a shader that is accessable to everyone.

Beaneh
Yeah I know… I deleted that part because of two reasons. One being that those who can’t find a partner to team up with have less chance of winning and another one is that you could try and practice your weakness instead of give it to somebody else. :slight_smile: [/B]

Sounds good at 4,500! add it to the officail thread. But i still strongly suggest that you make everyone, start a WIP thread…as i did( as far as i know…there is only 3 people in the contest so far…lol). so we can see how many people are actually in the contest…when judgement day comes…it wont be a surprise as to the number of contestants.

I’m not in, I don’t need a translation of other people’s ideas for my folio.

But I’ll volunteer to Judge the challenge!

You can send all bribes by private message.

what about metal slug? its old enough?

http://g-e-o.narod.ru/mslug007.jpg

So I’m a bit confused right now. Is the poly limit 3000 or 4500 triangles?

edit: nevermind, just read the adjustments to the comp rules. Its a bit confusing because it still reads 3000 tri’s in the post.

Beaneh, dont let the texturing job, stop you from entering the contest…in fact i dont even know how to texture…lol. I think i can learn it in a few days.

Geo_ru,

Its safe to say that, Metal Slug is allowed…sinces is a 2D game…never done in 3D afaik.

Why not using vertex counts instead of polygon count in the rules? This is what really matters, so it’s about time for game artists to recognize this fact. This contest could (or should) be also a ‘guide’.
I don’t wish to explain the whole thing you probably know already, I’d just like to see the evolution. info:

for me…as a artist i can’t relate to vertex count…i mean i dont create base on vertex…i create base on polygon/tri. If someone tells me that my vertex budget is 5,000…its not really tangible to me. But if somoene tells me my polygon budget is 5,000…thats something tangible(something i can picture and keep track of easier).

mind you 5000 vertices could be just 1 polygon or milions… and I really don’t see why vertex count would be more important than a poly count as it doesnt really slow down anything, no matter how many verts you use I always get the same FPS… polys is what really slows stuff down, and it’s also easier to keep track on your budget…

what that thread says is that vertices are used to store data, and Ive never heard of vertices affecting rendering preformance… now im not really someone who knows a lot about this, but as I said earlier 5000 verts could be no polys at all or millions…

Here’s something I tested a long time ago… It’s blender so you might not like it…

now maybe im just saying a lot of stuff that isn’t true or whatever, but I don’t believe the ammount of vertices used is more important than a polygon count… correct me if im wrong… =\

Do you get frowned upon if you make the model exactly the same as the original sprite design?
Some people seem to be making the 3d version drastically different (such as the link one XSI did) - is this what everyones supposed to do?
I intend to create the sprite in 3d, and then compare them. Is that ok?

Also, Im working a lot faster than i thought - if I was up for it, could i do another character from a totally seporate game? would it be classed as the same entry or a seporate one?

thanks.

Originally posted by Andy H
[B]Do you get frowned upon if you make the model exactly the same as the original sprite design?
Some people seem to be making the 3d version drastically different (such as the link one XSI did) - is this what everyones supposed to do?
I intend to create the sprite in 3d, and then compare them. Is that ok?

Also, Im working a lot faster than i thought - if I was up for it, could i do another character from a totally seporate game? would it be classed as the same entry or a seporate one?

thanks. [/B]

As the rules said… You can exaggerate but it should stay true to the character. Meaning you can try to recreate an exact replica or you can make the 3d model how you see that character. Since pixel character often doesn’t show any detail you have alot of room to play with.

Hmm you’re only allowed to enter one model to the contest I’m afraid… Otherwise it should be unfair to the others :confused:

I think a monthly challenge sub-forum would be good. This would make the general gameart forum clean.