A bit of an update:
I’ve been busy playing with settings trying to get things to work and look how I want them to. I think I’ve got most of it sorted out.
Here’s an updated preview of the animation: here
originally I was going to have the dust at the base radiate from the center, but it wasn’t cooperating. The first seconds after the blast are gonna be too bright to see any of it anyhow, so it’s allowing me to cheat it and just kick up all the dust at once. I may yet decrease the buoyancy of the base dust so it doesn’t rise up so high, but for the most part I think it’s finished.
Here’s a rendered frame of the animation: here
There aren’t any shadows or lighting on the ground yet, and the old film look isn’t there, but it does give an idea of the general color matching and look of the simulations.
I’m gonna be cutting things pretty close. It’s taking a while to render a frame, just hoping I’ve got enough time to render all 360 frames in the animation without cutting it short.