Future of CG movies, why did FF fail?

i want to know what you guys think about the future of cg movies in the industry. even though traditional animation is dead (imo) and everyone (disney and stuff) is switching to complete if not majority CGed (is that even a word?), …
i know it’s been a while but since Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within flopped at the box office, i was wondering if it gave cg movies a bad rep, and the studios won’t risk making more big budget cg movies…??
i loved it just BECAUSE it was cg, i HATE the games I HATE Turn based combat, and have no idea what the games are about, but i liked the movie. what was it that made it a bad movie according to the critics (even though Ebert and Roeper gave it thumbs up) and ppl

i know Shrek, Finding Nemo and “Cute characters+adult humor with semi cheap lafs” fliks which are entertaining work (almost a safe bet for the studios), did well at the box office(the polar express is comming in 2004 but i think that’s also geared towards a younger audience). but they kinda don’t count, because of the fact that they were gonna get made with or without cg (using traditionl animation). but stuff like FF targeted towrads 18+ or even 16+ audiences isn’t that common (CG).

do you have the answer? will most ppl here be homless by 2008?

Its all about story…

It has nothing to do if you use cameras or CGI…

Good stories do well…crappy ones bomb… FF is the best example of that…

yeah I agree with what both you said… like you windex, i dont give a crap what FF was about or the games or anything, i ONLY saw it because it was CG. And Jackdeth is right, to all the non cg people in the audience, they want a good story, not how it was made.

I guess we all look for both:p

-Tom N.

FF failed because it was a bad film, it would have failed as live action, stop motion, classical animation or as a puppet show. The CG was an innocent bystander.
CG movies will do well as long as they’re stories worth telling told well, failing that, it’s anyone’s guess.

Having the characters shuffle around like they all just suffered a massive stroke prolly didn’t help any either.

Maybe it was just too early to tackle a project the size of FF and get the story and characterperformance right… time will tell.

Getting a story good is soo cheap. It only requires a computer with MS Word on it, a writer, and a brain…

There is no excuse for a story as bad as FF. They got all caught up in the tech that they forgot the basics. Look at Episode 1 and 2… All show off, no substance…

True, but I can’t help but wonder how many adjustments were made to the story along the way to accomodate the eyecandy.
It was just so incredibly bad that I can’t help but wonder if this was the story they started out with.
It’s still no excuse, but it would at least be an explanation :hmm:

Originally posted by countZero
Having the characters shuffle around like they all just suffered a massive stroke prolly didn’t help any either.

That and the lipsyncs were stiffer then cement.

As a movie, FF-TSW is a failure. It seems more like a testing ground for the FMVs in the Final Fantasy games.

Well, it didnt have anything to do with FF…they couldve called it “Space Ghosts” and no one wouldve been the wiser.

I’ll play the other side here and say FF failed because it wasn’t what people expected. It was a beautiful movie with a very deep story and incredible CG. I think people were looking for it to be more like the games. They were dissapointed. I for one thought the movie was quite incredible. I hate the games, but the movie was more ‘reality’ based (if you will). I think a lot of people simply didn’t ‘get’ it.

Could it have been better? Yes. Was it an excellent display of the technology available at the time? Yes. Did anyone else have the balls to do it? No. Like it or not, new ground was broken with that movie.

As far as the future is concerned, I think another undertaking of that particular medium is overdue. Look for it soon though.

SK

why did FF fail?

Because the film industry wished it to be so.

If FF were a live-action movie, it would have been much more successful than it was.

Incontrovertible.

hmmm me likes conspiracy theories…so here’s mine : if you look at the last two posts you’ll see that someone’s appreciation for FF:TSW is closely connected to what their CGTalk-avatar looks like :beer:

Why do ppl. have to ask this question every couple months? :rolleyes:

FF: TSW failed because it wasn’t a movie for everyone – you know, the usual lame, predictable Hollywood type with big stars.

How could anyone be dumb enough to think that the CG somehow made it fail? Just look at all the CG movies that have succeeded in the recent past, then talk.

Geez.

Originally posted by CIM
How could anyone be dumb enough to think that the CG somehow made it fail?

They don’t say CG made it fail. They said the bad CG made it fail. Which is, in a certain way, a reasonable point of view, though I don’t agree.

Originally posted by countZero
hmmm me likes conspiracy theories…so here’s mine : if you look at the last two posts you’ll see that someone’s appreciation for FF:TSW is closely connected to what their CGTalk-avatar looks like :beer:

I’m gonna have to disprove your theory…

I liked it…

Shrek and Toy Story 1/2, to name a few, didn’t fail, so its obviously not the cg that is at fault. Unless it sucked. I never saw FF:TSW so I don’t know.

The failure was due to the simple fact that FF was technology driven. I’m pretty sure (though I obviously can’t know this) that the creators started out with “Let’s see if we can pull this off technically…” while successful movies start out with “Here’s a story I want to tell…”

One of the first movies ever made was called “A train arrives” or something like that, and shows a steam train stopping at a train station - and that’s all. This was obviously technology driven because moving pictures was an entirely new thing. Thus the movie sucked big time. - - - A few decades later, F.W. Murnau made “Nosferatu” without any apparent technological drive, rather just a desire to tell a scary story - and this movie still remains quite good, 80 years after its completion.

In my humble opinion, FFTSW did not do well, (here in the US at least), is because it tried to tell an “Eastern” type story to a “Western” audience. If it had been a “Bruckheimer” big explosion type film it would have done better here I believe.(And I’m not saying that is a good thing).
Ed

yup FF was a very japanese film in terms of story and they never do well and there are also those people who will do whatever they can to slate films with cg in and FF musta have looked like a christmas present all wrapped up and ready for slateing

i dont understand why that is because if u couldnt fault the cg then it would be perfect and the whole idea of special effects would die a death everything would just look perfectly real, but some critics love to pan cg for not being perfect and those films with lots of cg wether its good or bad always get critics whining maybe we should go back to clay motion and still see if they whine