FUR Problem: Balding Parts (incl. Pics)

Hey foks,

Please help me, I have a specific problem and I’m running out of time soving it. I have a character completely unwrapped. Colormaps as well as checkermaps show up fine and equaly distanced on my character. When trying to give him fur I get strange balding problems where my uv’s are kind of dense together, for example his fingers, eyes ears, top of the nose, etc.
Any idea how I can fix that? Please help, I’m really running out of time to complete my project…

Thanks a lot for help,
Jonas

Please help, I really need to get this problem fixed. Thanks!

When trying to give him fur I get strange balding problems where my uv’s are kind of dense together, for example his fingers, eyes ears, top of the nose, etc.

Without seeing the files, my guess is that the dense UVs you mentioned are causing the problem. The way I see it, you have three options:

[ul]
[li]Re-layout the UVs (probably not a good option)[/li][li]Paint a density map for the fur growth, adding density to the non-dense areas.[/li][li]Grow the fur from a different set of polys, redoing the UVs for that growth poly. You can then wrap deform it using the other mesh (the rendering skin you already have). Be sure to hide the growth geometry.[/li][/ul]Good luck, and be sure to post your solution!

looks like a very cool character … too bad the fur is bugging you.
hope Floyd´s advices help, although the different solutions he offered sound a bit tedious.
good luck and keep us informed

Guys, guess what: I got fur! Finally, without any bald spots, nice and dense! So happy :wink:
The solution for this was that Maya automatically generates a so called “EqualityMap” which ensures that the fur is equally placed over the whole model. Unfortunately this seems very buggy, so that in dense uv places it causes some problems. Solution: Get rid of this dumb map by just disabeling it in the DefaultFurGlobals.
Thanks a lot for your help though.

Jonas

I’m glad you got it working for you (even though it seems my “solutions” didn’t fit the bill).

You should post this in the Maya FAQ.

happy you solved it

looking forward to see some progress
… perhaps you want to put a link into this thread when you are posting more of your bear story

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.