Frequently Asked Questions

no the result doesn’t come in in 7 days. it usually take a month or more. this is my fifth challenge.

here are an examples:

strange behavior ended 15th Nov 2007, result announced 21 Dec 2007

hope i answered your question.

About my previous reply;
My mistake, I didn’t mean that you asked any judges or administrator. I did not ask, too. On the other hand anyone may, there is nothing wrong with it.
I saw nobody answered you, so I thought if I support you, we both may have an answer. I’m new around here, too.

And look, someone heard:)
Thank you Jack, you must be so busy and you replied. Your interest means much to me. Even I’m an entrant too, your image is one of my favourites. Best.

Sometimes, some questions may be forgotten because of instant different posts. But answer will come sooner or later.
Have a nice day.

Edit:
tuminsky: No problem. We are all entertaining here. :beer:

to JackZhang:
thank you!!
about this 7 days - :hmm:
maybe i looked wrong on the dates…
or maybe i saw some not good replies when people talking about (deadline) and when they talking about (congratulation for all winners) trying to compare the dates.(some people are “lost in time” when writing reply) (i am propobly the same by the way).
my mistake…sorry to everybody who saw my reply and had hope to see awards so soon.

to ertacaltinoz:

ertacaltinoz: “I saw nobody answered you, so I thought if I support you, we both may have an answer. I’m new around here, too.”

jacek: thank you :wink:

And look, someone heard. Thank you Jack, you must be so busy and you replied. Your interest means much to me. Even I’m an entrant too, your image is one of my favourites. Best."

jacek: no problem i have PLENTY of time last time :frowning:

ertacaltinoz:“Sometimes, some questions may be forgotten because of instant different posts. But answer will come sooner or later”

jacek: yeap…thanks to some nice people :wink:

no problem you two, glad to help.

yah. 7 days is kinda unrealistic. don’t try to kill warlus here. hehe

Start: 10 November 2008 End: 04 February 2009 Accepting Entries: Yes Challengers: 1959 Entries: 9268

i don’t fully understand why there’s 9k entries. perhaps the group teams has one entry per team member. but that’s not important.

let’s say there are 2k challengers and each one of them makes 1 work. that’s 2k works. usually half of the participant can finish on time, so that means 1k work for the judges.
we got 12 judges this time so that makes about 100 entries for each of them to deal with. as you know they all have job in the day so i guess if they go over 4 pieces per day that’s pretty thankful already. 100 piece for 1 judge who finish 4 entries per day that makes a 25 days, that’s close to a month. i’m sure there will be discussion of which one is better than the other for the final top 10 entries so there’s time for discussion to. that’s pretty much a month. then the sponsors and publish probably have to prepare for shipping the price and write article about the result announcing. So I assume that average of a month and half is pretty rereasonable.

obviously the judging doesn’t run like what i mentioned. i was just doing a quick math to get some logics out of it.

Well, judging by the number of people who actually finished, I’m assuming there’s probably around 100 image entries. MAYBE 200…but that’s pushing it. I watched a good number of the threads, and only saw around 30 that were regularly updated. So unless there is an underground army of artists somewhere who didn’t regularly update their WIP threads, there’s no way there’s >9000 finished entries :slight_smile:

Anyways, is there any admins out there who can answer my previous question?

i have 2 questions about the final entry for the video.

the cg-uploader help say : “Keep in mind you are allowed only 50 megs of video files when you are encoding video”.

My entry will be about 4mn for the final video + 40 secondes for the teaser + 1.30mn for the making of, that make 6.10mn for the video .

The result is very crappy if the final size of the video is limited to 50meg.

• is it possible to separate the files ? :
    video 1 (teaser+making of)
    video 2 (final video).

• is it allowed to post a link of the final video in a better quality format ( pal or hd ) on vimeo, blip or on one of my server ?

people who are working on a “long” video will be penalised by the quality of the compression, due to the file limitation.

thank you
(sorry for my limited english)
Marc

Hey.
I’ve tried many times today and yesterday to upload my final film, but it just stops after 100% and gives me no “Upload OK” message.
I use the same ChallengeUploader as I’ve used throughout this project, that what I should use, right?
The FLV is 14mb and the image I upload with it is 120kb
I tried to upload it both as “Final video” and “Wip” but both with negative results.
Like I said, it just stops at 100%.

I feel like a idiot, cause it has worked the entire time during this challenge.

Could use a little assistance before deadline runs out :slight_smile:

I can’t say for sure, but I imagine the “entries” is the value for all images submitted during the course of the challenge, from WIP to final.

usually half of the participant can finish on time, so that means 1k work for the judges.

That’s an optimistic guess. I think far fewer than half the challengers end up submitting a final piece.

:wink:

You can post your images anywhere you want. They are, after all, your images.

As someone said earlier, the judging usually takes a couple of weeks. In case you’re wondering, the judging has already started.

Hey I propably already know the answer to this. But i gotta jsut try…

Our main film is 34 seconds long.

So our deliverable will look like this:

30 seconds trailer (which does not do the main film any justice) (excluding credits that is)
90 seconds making of
34 seconds main film

:banghead:

I sincerely think there should be a “but” in the deliverable rule. So “IF” your main film is ca. 30 seconds long, you can skip the “cutdown”.

best regards Andreas NG

I think you could work around that without too much of a problem, andreas, for example…many trailers have extensive “titles” with text and such, combined with a mock “this preview has been approved for all audiences” screen, you could probably get away with having only about 15-20 seconds of animation in the trailer, with 10-15 seconds of titles. :slight_smile:

Okay, I turned off all my firewall stuff, and it seemed to do the trick. Just strange I havn’t had that error before though… but hey if it works it works.
Btw. it would be nice with some kind of confirmation that my entry is ready to be jugded:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=277&t=694321

Cheers

yeah ivan i guess you are right. :beer:

Looks fine.

I dont think the 50mb limit applies to the ChallengeUploader, as its a different tool to the CGUploader. But I’ll confirm that for you.

Thank you khendar !

The 50 meg limit only applies to portfolio - video entries are not subject to this.

You may link to higher quality versions, although you will be judged from the flash version.

We’ve got to have the same deliverables for everyone, otherwise it gets messy.

Let me clarify with some copy-pasta from the rules:

The winners grant Ballistic Media first right to publish their submitted work in any media.

Entrants should notify Ballistic Media in writing at least one week prior to the publication of their work in any media.

Other than the rights assigned in the preceding clauses entrants retain copyright of all entered materials and are free to use said materials for personal promotions.

Essentially, what we mean by this, is you can post your work anywhere on the Internet (in fact, we encourage you to, especially if you link back here). However, we request that before you have your work published (physical media, such as paper, or CD) we ask that you let us know before hand - so that we may have first dibs on it.