Frequently Asked Questions

Robert please help.Anton Fletcher has disabled some of my forum functions and some of the old timers have accussed me of SPAMMING.As a result nobody is posting any critique in my thread and is hindering my development as a digital artist.In fact the forum administrators left the challenge thread automatic reply function on by default and my mailbox was spammed.The technical problem can be resolved but the damage to reputation is severe.In fact i commited the “sin” by being overzealous in critiquing others work but being only one person decided to post using a template which I quickly apologized for in my EON challenge.I have since stopped.

[ol]
[li]Participate in the Community by critiquing other challenger’s works in the respective forums.[/li][/ol]Is a requirement in all Challenge competitons.Actually looking at other’s work is the most
constructive way of improving.So I published an Art review by categorizing other peoples work.But after the bitter response stopped.Moreover I am new to the digital art scene so it is grossly unfair for experienced cgtalk and cgsociety members to sabotage newbies.I need the people down here ,they know who they are to explain to Anton Fletcher their complaint so that I can receive my fair share of criticism.Don’t kill off new member’s enthusiasm!

I would have rather not dealt with this so publicly, but nonetheless…

You were given a forum ban for your behaviour during the EON challenge, however due to a slip-up at the time, it didn’t apply correctly and you kept your access.

I need the people down here ,they know who they are to explain to Anton Fletcher their complaint so that I can receive my fair share of criticism.

You will need to be more specific about what you mean. Anton has done nothing to you (other than unsubscribe you from the threads to which you were unable to unsubscribe yourself, as you asked him to), so I really don’t know what you expect.

Please also keep in mind that support emails are read by humans*, so try to keep them more civil.

(* and one moose, but let’s not get technical!).

In the mean-time, I’ve removed the restrictions on your account, since you obviously managed to keep your head down and do the right thing for quite a while.

Feel free to respond in private - robert@ballisticmedia.net.

hi i have a proplem with resample the final image to 150 kp the resolution of the final image
is 3636*2657 i tried a lot of times and didn`t reach to 150 kp what i have to do …
thanks …

I’d just like to know if we’d like to upload a video turnaround for the image challenge what the process is. Do we use the Uploader, choose a video file, categorise it as a WIP and click “Upload File”? Also is FLV the only format supported?

Just make a copy of your image at a much smaller resolution and then save that as your JPG - in other words, treat it as just another milestone. Your TIF version of the final image is another thing altogether and that’s the one you submit at full resolution

Can i change from a still to an animation or vice versa? I dont know if ill be able to make a good enough animation in time for the competition.

—also where is the team request/looking for a team section— never mind found it:banghead:

and finally i cant seem to change my email when i use the utility is says my new email does not match the old one… is is a problem with free emails (gmail) or is this just another moment of shear stupid on my part:blush:

hi i have a proplem with resample the final image to 150 kp the resolution of the final image
is 3636*2657 i tried a lot of times and didn`t reach to 150 kp what i have to do …
thanks …

There are two “final” images you need to submit. One screen-resolution, submitted the same way as the other milestones (and within 150kb). The other is the 3636*2657 TIFF, submitted by FTP (which can be a larger file).

I’d just like to know if we’d like to upload a video turnaround for the image challenge what the process is. Do we use the Uploader, choose a video file, categorise it as a WIP and click “Upload File”? Also is FLV the only format supported?

Yes, and yes :slight_smile:

Can i change from a still to an animation or vice versa? I dont know if ill be able to make a good enough animation in time for the competition.

I suppose you can post what you’re doing in your “animation” thread, then re-enter the still image category and re-post your work there.

and finally i cant seem to change my email when i use the utility is says my new email does not match the old one… is is a problem with free emails (gmail) or is this just another moment of shear stupid on my part:blush:

Email me (robert@ballisticmedia.net) from both accounts and I’ll take care of it.

Did not realize there was an entry date. There’s still 20 days left, Is there a chance to still get in?

There’s no cut-off date for when you can enter. So you can still get in provided you can finish your entry in 3 weeks. Get moving! :slight_smile:

good afternoon Robert! … i wanted to know, can i save the final tiff image as 16 bit? or does it have to be 8 bit? coz, i noticed some ‘banding’ in certain areas, but when i switch to 16 bit, they’re all gone …

Can i switch my entry from single to team???

Another big question… will there be honourable mentions this year? I ask because last year there were some really great entries and it was a shame they haven’t been mentioned in any way.

Sorry! I’m almost sure it’s answered here but I can’t found it & really havn’t enough time to search whole 12 pages!

I wonna know if I can find any instruction about uploading video WIPs! I can’t found it in any part of challenge pages! any link to it or even to that “CG Uploader”?!

Tnx in advance, mim

i wanted to know, can i save the final tiff image as 16 bit?

That’s a really good question :). You’re welcome to try it and let us know if it works!

Can i switch my entry from single to team???

If you’re in the Video category, the promotion to a team category is automatic when you invite someone else and they accept.

Another big question… will there be honourable mentions this year?

I certainly intend to have them, yes.

I wonna know if I can find any instruction about uploading video WIPs! I can’t found it in any part of challenge pages! any link to it or even to that “CG Uploader”?!

There are links on the Submit Entry page for the Challenge-specific download and the instructions for encoding.

in the DELIVERABLES section there is a wrong link to a challenge uploader
there is
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behaviour/challengeuploader.jar

instead of

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/challengeuploader.jar

SC
-BB

Hey Mibus,

fast questions for video category deliverables:

1. can I extend 30 seconds version for judging with maybe Fade In + Fade Out and some copyright text so alltogether its going to be around 34 secs?

2. can we left making of material as just our ordinary WIPs images? Or is some fancy reel about it a must for judging?

Thanks in advance,

in the DELIVERABLES section there is a wrong link to a challenge uploader

Good catch - thanks!!

1. can I extend 30 seconds version for judging with maybe Fade In + Fade Out and some copyright text so alltogether its going to be around 34 secs?

Yes

1. can we left making of material as just our ordinary WIPs images? Or is some fancy reel about it a must for judging?

That’s up to you; slipping some stuff into the video just makes it easier for the judges to see how cool you are :slight_smile:

Guys,

I just join the contest, is there a ready thread under my name in the wip forum or I need to create one for me?

I could find my thread name,sorry guys I need help!

I was trying to send a reply post on thread but its not working, any post I sent doesn’t show on my thread,please I need help!

If you joined the contest there’ll be a thread created for you. You should check your e-mail - you’ll get an e-mail with all the links to your thread, to the page where you upload your images etc.

I hope I could help.

Cheers,

Dimitrij.