Frequently Asked Questions

me too buddies … i totally freaked out on that one!! for a minute … i felt my heart down my throat!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

When I submit image it appear twice:hmm: and I send it only once, what I do wrong?

When I submit image it appear twice and I send it only once, what I do wrong?:hmm:

Hey nagalakov looks like the problem is happening here too?

When you submit you click on a button right?
Well the catch is you can only click ONCE then wait. And wait. And wait… if you have to.
If it hangs you can still leave it. Just don’t click more than once.

If it does hang go check on your entry page first to see if it still got through.
It probably did you’ll see.
Another thing don’t touch the REFRESH or BACK buttons.
If you do that you’ll see it’ll post all over again.

So best is

• click submit once
  • wait see if anything happens if not wait anyway
  • CLOSE BROWSER

Then you can open the browser again and come back and see the results.
It’s a bit drastic but you won’t go wrong like that :wink:

Hi firnends of CG,
my question is How can I be sure that my image is in the FTP? I click in the refresh buton but cannot see anything.

regards

If you don’t see the thumbnail on the page, Mauricio, then probably the upload didn’t go though.
I’d try upload it again, possibly with a different FTP client?

just because i’m an idiot and want to get it right…

it was my understanding for the final i would ul a zipped tiff along with notes. on the ul page it says just the zip. so, do i just ftp the zip and name it as the filename given, and post my notes along with the final jpeg in the forum? or, do i put the zip with the notes in a folder(name of my choice) and ul that, then post the jpeg with notes? please refer back to the first line in my post. :slight_smile:

thanks, kirk

Q: i can’t seem to upload my final image.i saved my one file as an RGB TIFF file and put it in a zip folder, but when i click submit it says: error on of the required fields is missing. what am i doing wrong? can someone please walk me thorugh it?

Kirk - The write-up goes with the JPG submission, just like with every other milestone you submit along the way. You’re only going to FTP the zipped version of the final TIF. The unpacking is automatic, so I doubt it’s even prepared to read anything other than your TIF.

Phil (and anyone else) - To submit the final JPG, do it as with any other milestone.

For the final TIF, go to the Submit page like usual. At the bottom, below the text filed, is a special link labeled “Please ensure you have submitted your TIFF image via FTP." Click on that and it will walk you through the steps:
Enter your name, password, and which challenge you’re entering (image or video),
submit your correct address,
and then it will spit out the FTP information along with a name that you are supposed to rename your zipped file.
So then you rename your Zip file that name, go into the FTP program of your choice, enter the FTP site name and password, etcetera, and upload your Zip file.
Wait 10 minutes or so and then click on the “Refresh Image” button on the submit page.
It will show you your image, and that’s how you know the upload was successful.
You should also receive an e-mail within the next 20 minutes of so entitled " Challenge upload successful” which of course confirms the same thing.

much thanks for clearing that up for me!

Why is the recommended minimum Resolution 2657x3636? Isnt an A4 Sheet of Paper at 300 DPI at 2480x3508 resolution?

Hi, just one question. i have an old spaceship model that i did long time ago, and used it only for this render link
it would fit nicely in my entry environment, can i use it? i dont know specifically how or where will it be visible, or its role…i guess mostly as something that will fly around in the background, or the camera will follow it around the buildings, in the opening sequence…
tnx!

I am trying to upload my final TIFF. Everything works fine with the FTP, and when I press the “refresh image” button, I get a nice little picture of my painting, but it’s really small, and underneath it says something about “if this image is not correct…”. I hope this is the way it’s supposed to be, but this is my first time, so I’m not sure. I’ve uploaded a few times with the same result, so I guess it’s OK?

so when saving the tif…image and layer compression is zip?or doesnt matter? or non and after we zip the tif?:)) just wanna be sure:)

and does it matter what resolution is the final jpeg? or just ahs to be under 150

From what I see, there is one nice thing about CG Challenges - everybody have let’s say the same start conditions, so everybody is creating from sketch or scratch. How good is to allow such a thing for beginers, what do you think? I can understand to reuse your old models with some strong touchups, so they stay unique. Hope you can see the point in what I just wrote.

Is it listed anywhere what the final deadline is for image submissions? Is it tomorrow at midnight? Thanks.

just to clarify and have this on the record, in my time zone is going to be the 12th in about 6 hours but the timer in the upload image page says "Image time left: 1 days, 12 hours, 6 minutes, 50 seconds." i hope its acurate and i don’t miss the deadline because of this timer.

Hi everyone…

I am trying to upload my final video for the video challenge using the cguploader but it gives me an error message saying that “This feature is only available to CGS members”…I used my username and pass, selected video as a category, browsed to an image and flv video and then i clicked upload…

Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,
George

if you are close to finishing, follow your local time just in case.

We allow some wiggle room so that the deadline has passed for everyone. The “official” deadline is UTC, but the count-down timer being a few hours later saves us a huge support headache :slight_smile:

it would fit nicely in my entry environment, can i use it?

Yup.

I am trying to upload my final TIFF. Everything works fine with the FTP, and when I press the “refresh image” button, I get a nice little picture of my painting, but it’s really small, and underneath it says something about “if this image is not correct…”. I hope this is the way it’s supposed to be, but this is my first time, so I’m not sure. I’ve uploaded a few times with the same result, so I guess it’s OK?

It’s a thumbnailed preview. We’re not going to shove a 3k x 3k image back at your browser, that would be mean :slight_smile:

so when saving the tif…image and layer compression is zip?or doesnt matter? or non and after we zip the tif?:)) just wanna be sure:)

None, then after that you ZIP it.

From what I see, there is one nice thing about CG Challenges - everybody have let’s say the same start conditions, so everybody is creating from sketch or scratch. How good is to allow such a thing for beginers, what do you think? I can understand to reuse your old models with some strong touchups, so they stay unique. Hope you can see the point in what I just wrote.

We’ve been slowly allowing more existing material to be re-used, with the warning that recognisable re-use may harm your entry in the judge’s eyes.

[i]

i hope its acurate and i don’t miss the deadline because of this timer.
[/i]

The timer is linked directly to the automatic shutdown mechanism :). Not wrong :).

I am trying to upload my final video for the video challenge using the cguploader but it gives me an error message saying that “This feature is only available to CGS members”…I used my username and pass, selected video as a category, browsed to an image and flv video and then i clicked upload…

You’ve used the CGPortfolio uploader not the CGChallenge uploader. Download the CGChallenge uploader from the link on the Submit Entries page.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!