Fokker DVII - WW1 fighter

Hi
I was contracted by the model company Eduard to create some box illustrations for their 1/48 scale Fokker DVII model.
This is a particularly attractive arrangement for me becuase they have already created a 3D model of the aircraft.
So, my primary task is to re-work the model so that it will provide me what i need for the purposes of Illustration.

This 3D model was generated by a team of designers at Eduard using Unigrafics CAD software.
They saved the model in IGES format and mailed it to me on CD.
and much to my surprise - it imported almost perfectly!
There are some surfaces missing and some small corruptions - but I’d say this is the cleanest transfer from one application to another I’ve ever seen.

As you can see this is a 3D model of a 1.48th scale model kit.
and Eduard will use this model to generate the tooling for the kit
I now want to use this model as a basis to generate my own 3D model similiar to the others I have done.
This will entail deleting all of the kit specific geometry which will decrease the file size tremendously becuase they have modeled the inside and outside of every plastic part.
They have also modeled all the surface detail, this was obviously neccessary for the purpose of creating tooling, but it is not optimal for making illustrations.
This means I will have to remodel most of the major external surfaces so that the small surface detail is handled by a bump map - and most impotantly so that I can apply a map to the entire surface.
But, this should be a relatively easy task considering they have already figured out where everything goes.

The fact that i’m using an engineering tool FINALY pays off :smiley:
Should be fun :slight_smile:
mark

The key to this project is to quickly extract the data i need from the Eduard model so that i can use it to generate surfaces that are suitable to my needs.
And I need to texture map this thing.
That is what drives this whole process.

Engineering 3D models almost never get mapped.
That’s not what they are for.
And if you are using Microstation, you need to generate the geometry in a particular way so that the pieces have an even grain amd are not broken up into many smaller pieces.

This series of images shows how i modeled the wing.
I used the splines that defines the bottom of the rib tapes to get my x-sections.

Here’s the original wire from Eduard:

and it renders out like this - notice that each bay is a seperate object.
Just imagine trying to texture map that

Here are the elements I created to generate the wing.
If it wasn’t foer that subtle dip in the ceneter section i would have been able to get away with just 4 sections - oh well

surfaces out like this - notice the regular grain - and it is all in 3 pieces

renders out like this.

The only correct section is the starboard wing - i just applied that map to the other two surfaces - which is why the center is squished.

And here’s where i’m at now
almost all the major surfaces on the fuse have been modeled.
and i’ve taken a first pass at most of the texture maps.
Still have lots of work to do - but it’s getting there :slight_smile:

the model is great but I think the textures doesn’t help too much…I think you can try better other textures to put in value your model

my work:

http://www.cgtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56228
http://www.cgtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56230

Hi Techart
Thanks for the reply
Could you do me a favour and be a little more specific about what you don’t like about the textures?
Or how you think I might be able to improve them?
The current map set is on the ground image.
The in flight image has yesterday’s version :slight_smile:

Mark

the colors from the plain…I could make them other way if I ware you…first that idea with the hexagones …and the hexagones colors…maybe the real model looks this way…I don’t know…you tell me…if is treu than thi is ok cause you wannted to make something real

but if it doesn’t I’ll say you put sopmething like a camo…I work as a game grafician…and I make textures since 5-6 years ago …believe me… the textures doesn’t help

the backgound is cool…no problem there…just the hexagons eat my brain :)))

cheers

my work:

http://www.cgtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56228
http://www.cgtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56230

nice to see another project from u mmiller, its looking very nice so far, altough is still in the beginning, about the camouflage, well, i´v already seen many weird pattern on oldie war planes, so i don´t doubt this is a real camouflage this used to have, if its the case i dont see any problem with it, altough i admit it may appear weird for other people when seeing, in the other hand, the persons who are interested in this kind of material, surelly recognizes it, and such an original camouflage is always nice to see :), so keep the good work

Yup, the camo definitelt fits, and i must say i don’t see any flaw in the design of the texture map. If you look at reference, they looked somewhat like this and only started out camoing the planes sometime during WW I. They weren’t very sophisticated when they first started. The Red Baron and his “flying circus” were called like that because when they were ordered to “paint their planes” they painted them bright to attract the enemy…

Nice shot!

Oh my god, where’s the pilot!!! They didn’t wear parachutes back then!

Ah yes, the lozenge pattern
well… I have invested quite a bit of time trying to assure that I’m getting this right.
Historical accuracy is something that is important to me.

Here’s a photo of a DVII from the Deutsches Museum in Munich

I’ve actualy done quite a bit of research on this lozenge camo scheme.
Came in 5 and 4 color versions

5 color info
//www.wwi-models.org/misc/Colors/German/loz2/index.html

4 color info
//www.wwi-models.org/misc/Colors/German/4color_loz/4color_loz.htm

Thanks for the input:)
mark

told ya…if you’ve make him after a real model its cool/…didn’t know that is your intention…cheers

MM is always going for realism as far as I know. I mean, why model an accurate WW plane and then put a Mickey Mouse paint scheme on it :slight_smile:

This baby is looking great and I know the final result will be jaw dropping.

whell…didn’t say MICKEY MOUSE buit you have to admit that the hexagonal design is not that beautiful…any graphic artist can tell that…didn’t know he’s making a real plain after a picture …that is something else…if that design from ww2 was cool than…now I’m not that sure mate…

I agree with you about the hexagons. They aren’t easy on the eyes, but that is how it was :slight_smile:

Techart
No problem – I’d question that camo scheme myself – it is rather odd.
But, do you really think it is unattractive?
Not that “beauty” is terribly important to me – ugly can be interesting as well.
But I think it looks VERY cool.
Maybe I’ve just been looking at it too long.

And it’s a pretty darn clever solution when you think about it.
I love this “truth is stranger than fiction” stuff.:smiley:

thanks for all the comments guys
Mark

ohhh no…it’s not that is ugly or something but in your place I would done it other way…don’t understand me wrong…the texture is worked allright…only the target you wannted should be diferent…even you’ve worked after a picture and you wannted to do the original one…you can rich a higher level of succes with a normal texture for example with a simple metal with a simple color and a bit rust maybe on the edges if you wanna look something a bit old…it’s not about you texture making skills at all…but about the target you’ve choosen…I don’t think this model(original one)…have just one model of paint… the best from techart…good luck

Tech art
Your are right - this airplane was widely used toward the end of the war - and there were MANY interesting and varied paint schemes that were applied.
And I intend to illustrate as many of them as I can.
I have everything set up so that I can quickly and easily change color schemes.
All major maps are saved in .pdf format with the base color scheme residing on it’s own level.
all weathering/grime/dirt effects are isolated on their own levels.
That way you just have to generate the base flat color scheme - then slip it into the .psd file.
exort out the final map and your done …it’s pretty easy
Only problem is you end up with lots of files - and they can get pretty big after a while.
well… disk space is cheap these days

in any case
the only reason i picked the loz scheme to start out with is because I figured it would be the most difficult.

Not much of an update
But I have worked the maps on the front section
I think I might have been a little heavy handed with the weathering.
But, I’ll leave it for now and move on to other issues.

also
I’m still trying to zero in on the correct colors for the lozenge scheme.
//http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16203

Hi there!

This airplane is coming along great!! :thumbsup:
Those colourful hexagonal camouflages where really like this on those times… and they worked really well BTW,
i like this camos alot :slight_smile: (BTW some WWII planes had a Mickey Mouse painted on the fuselage!!!)
The colors are well picked IMO, at least from what i saw on the photo refs you linked. But i´m no expert on this subject :shrug:
As for the weathering on the textures, i like it a lot, and i think it’s working well on the wide shot. On close view the effect appears to be too strong but, in general, it´s making wonders on the look of this plane!!!
You could try some specular maps (or some bumpiness), to break those highlights…

Keep the good work!!

greets

nice dude …lots of details in the front area…keep going

Hi :Zepedro:
Thanks
I’m still debating with myself over that weathering.
I figure i’ll just wait untill I am ready to set up the environment for the final renders and see what it looks like.
I think the density and saturation is a little to high - but I might be able to use that to advantage when it comes time to lighting it.
we will see :slight_smile:

tech art
yeah, i’ll definitly keep going
I need to produce two final illustrations by Sept 1.
so I don’t have a lot of time to screw around.:eek: