First post-book character facial w.i.p.

Hey all. Not really too crit-hungry right now as I’ve got a lot I want to do still, but I thought I’d share what’s new in my world. Later! -J.

Edit:
'Just realized the vagueness in my post. The animation is “nothing” it’s about 5 mins work -I’m testing the rig. Whoops! -J.

SquooshTest2

Brows working

Eyes and lids behaving

One of my “throw away” weighting tests from the weekend

5pm Sun (working on brows right now):

Body, w.i.p. -bendiness in the limbs working:

v02 now has a control you can tug at to distort him (makes for easy line-of-action interactions)

http://www.jasonosipa.com/Squoosh/v02/nuSkelTest.mov

http://www.jasonosipa.com/Squoosh/v02/nuSkelTest2.mov

Really nice Jason…
the facial is really great:)
look like dysney cartoon in 3d…
is int only blendShapes ?
keep it up:)

The controls are crazy looking…the results are excellent can you explain a little bit about the rig or how those controls are used to controlthe facial rig.

Yes, please tell me how those facial controls work. By the looks of those controls it seems like your face is driven entirely by expressions.

Looks awesome for only 5 minutes of animating.

nice start !! Im looking forward to see more

Hey all, thanx for the kind words!

The controls all work based the same as the stuff in my book, I just happened to have learned a few more tricks since then (also, in a side note: This is the first time in my CG life I dug into this kind of stuff and didn’t give myself the proviso of : you have to explain this to people so it can be implemented in pipeline. I just ran with it throwing “teaching” to the wind. That left me more open to play)

The biggest differences about this setup from what’s in the book is these three things:

1. Latticed teeth
  2. Piping a skinned mesh into ANOTHER skinned mesh as a blendshape and animating the bones on that first mesh
  3. The seperation of ins/outs from up/downs for the lips.

Other than that, this is all covered in the book. The controls are as follows; Sat, Dec7/03)

Top left, across to bottom right:

1. Mouth left/right/up/down BEHAVIOUR TYPE (too complicated to explain right now; modifies behaviour resultant from position of slider 2)

2. Mouth left/right/up/down moves the MOUTH/LIPS around up=up, left=left etc. This is not moving the whole face, just the mouth

3. Face left/right/up/down is what’s responsible for the overall swinging and squash/stretching (left=left down=down, etc)

4. Smile/Frown. Up=Smile Down=Frown

5. <row two> Basic Sync. Up/Down corresponds to Jaw motion up=up down=down. Left=Narrow (left to right width) and Right=Wide (width, again)

6. Lips Up/Down. Up/Down=Upper lip Up/Down, Left/Right = Lower Lip Up/Down (Easier to use than it sounds. You can make an F by yanking it up/right, a SH by yanking it up/left, etc

7. Lips In/Out. Up/Down=Upper Lip In/Out, Left/Right=Lower Lip In/Out

8. <row three> Jaw “Other”. Left=Jaw Left, Right = Jaw Right, Up=Jaw IN/BACK, Down=Jaw Out

P.S.-All the left/rights are assymmetrical and get skewed according to Slider 2 (and 1). When I say Upper Lip Up, for Eg, there’s actually two shapes; one that pulls the right side up, one that pulls the left side up. Depending on the positions of sliders 1 and 2 when I pull the upper lip control upwards decides how that will actually occur.

More later! Now, to sleep! -J.

thats crazy, and awesome at the same time!

Brows working

wow thats supa cool… The facial rigs we have here at work have similar kind of controls, and I find them very easy to animate with… I wish I could rig that kind of stuff up

Eyes and lids behaving

Eyes and lids behaving

WoW dude nice test animation, i have never done a facial animation or rig so that help section you added went way over my head, though I may invest in you book, as an early xmas persent.

You used maya right!
So would that book help a guy using max, and how?

buzz:

The book is -by design- really heavy into concepts. When we started it, the goal was to be program-agnostic, meaning ONLY concepts. As time went on, we found a need to tie it down to a software package, if just to avoid sentences like “in max, push blah, in soft push blah, and in maya push blah blah or blah)”. Maya came out on top for a number of reasons, BUT, the core writing stayed the same. I know of folks having completed their own rigs in 3DS Max, Cinema 4D, and I myself have put stuff together of the exact same type in Softimage and Hash: Animation Master.

All that said, Maya users get the most bang for the buck, but it definitely works in any software with a little bit of “translating”. Thanx for the interest, take care! -J.

JasonOsipa thanks for the info, think i will learn basic face riging before moving on to your book… but thanx

amazing stuff Jason

First of all I’d like to thank you for your book. Great stuff and my wife likes it to. She’s also into 3d. The amount of expression you get out of your rig is insane! Nice!

Damn I LIKE A LOT, i am a fan of cartoon animation and yours is really interesting, my english is not really good but i will try to understand all that you explain_lol
Want more more and more :slight_smile:

it’s really impressive cartoon animation Jason !!!

Just cartoon shader and I believe that is made in 2d…

did you model it in polygon or nurbs ??

the elastics and stretch expression are fantastics

Body, w.i.p. -bendiness in the limbs working:

like the style…kool