Few questions about basics about Maya from 3ds max exp. user

Hi,

I have many years of experience in 3ds max and thus plenty of habits, but now it’s time to learn Maya.

I couldn’t find answer for couple of questions, maybe you guys will help me out.

First thing is that I used to work in one viewport, without going back and out from it.
I model in orthographic mode, rotating freely my camera. Both in Max and Maya. What I am missing in Maya is to go quickly back to front/top/back/bottom using some hot key ideally.

I can go out and in from viewport using space, but because I unlocked my viewports, I have to create new ortographic view in a panel… and i end up with like 10 front views…uh, its a mess.

Does anyone have similar experience and some clever solution?

I would get satisfied by knowing how to snap toggle camera angle view to 90 degrees, like in max, zbrush and many other apps.

I am trying find a solution. How about locking individual orthographic viewports to prevent rotation, can I do it?
Or setup a camera which will be my front/back/right/top/bottom view, and bring it by hotkey when needed?

Second thing that I am looking script for ring and loop. Which would allow me to make ring/loop from already selected edges. The basics methods which maya offers are great, just not for every scenario, and Id like to still have a tool making loop/ring from what is already selected.

Third thing. Does anyone know if there is Screen View Mode (not just world/object view mode)? I dont see it, how that can be?

What I am missing in Maya is to go quickly back to front/top/back/bottom using some hotkey ideally.

Press and hold space, press and hold on center cube named Maya and you will get access to you viewports.

but now it’s time to learn Maya

Better take a look at Houdini :slight_smile:

MAX default keys of alt+t (topView) can be set in custom hotkeys. Maya is completely customizable in that regard. Other hotkeys may be set so something by default that you have to abandon/override but I recommend setting hotkeys you use a lot to most common things but do this carefully. When this is done each time, go to file>safe preferences. This writes the ascii file to your documents maya>prefs folder where you can backup and restore if needed.

e.g. m in MAX is material editor. I have Maya as alt+m assigned to hypershade. Outliner which is similar to old school selected by name in MAX is alt+o.

What kiryha said is very important however in that Maya conceptualized the hotbox from it’s beginning days and lots of fast and very quick things happen by using the hotbox for navigation and more. You can also make your own custom hotboxes and assign to a hotkey user defined hotkey. Google that process on youtube as it’s a bit beyond simple reply.

Good luck.

Second thing that I am looking script for ring and loop. Which would allow me to make ring/loop from already selected edges. The basics methods which maya offers are great, just not for every scenario, and Id like to still have a tool making loop/ring from what is already selected.

You can just select edges and CTRL+RMB > edge loop/ring utilities > to edge ring/loop

Third thing. Does anyone know if there is Screen View Mode (not just world/object view mode)? I dont see it, how that can be?

What do you mean? Translation and rotation based on screen orientation? This is done using the yellow square (for translation) or circle (for rotation) of the transformation manipulators.