Fabric Software no longer developing their software platform and tools.

[quote=]Thank you for your interest in Fabric Engine. Please note that we are no longer developing our software platform and tools.[/quote]http://fabricengine.com/sad news :frowning:

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Sold to someone hopefully?

why do I have the feeling Autodesk is involved in this?

Never would’ve thought I’d say something like this, but I sure hope you’re right on this - would be a shame to see this one go. Really nice and powerful tool and most importantly something Autodesk apparently cannot get together themselves.

Shocked and sad.

Nobody has any info about this ? No acquisition annoucement ? no message from CEO ? this is weird. Hope they have suceed to sell their tech !

I meant it in the sense they found a way to shut them down. But this would be my favored outcome too of course.

Probably not, Autodesk is on spending freeze.

Every time someone develops a cool node/dataflow based programming environment, it dies a horrible death within a few years.

I don’t want to get conspiratorial, but its almost like purely visual programming is being deliberately held back.

The fabric guys do have options though. For example, nothing is stopping them from integrating Fabric programming into something like Unity, UE, CryEngine.

That sucks, was interested to hear more from them in the future… damn.

Acquisitions take time and it’s possible that these wheels were in motion long before any spending freeze came into play. pure speculation, of course.

heard rumors it’s a pretty fruity company behind the purchase.

You mean they where bought by Chiquita Brands International? :slight_smile:

According to a post on cgchannel its a bankruptcy rather than a takeover. Sad if true.

Hello guys, as an avid Fabric user I thought I’d share my views on what the platform really was and the voids left by its end of development.
http://gustavoeb.com.br/whatwasfabric/

Cheers,
Gustavo

https://www.awn.com/news/mpc-adds-paul-doyle-global-head-rd

[quote=]MPC Film has announced that Paul Doyle, former co-founder and CEO of Fabric Software, has joined its award-winning team as global head of research and development.
Doyle has more than 20 years of experience in the media and entertainment software industry, encompassing roles in technical sales, business development and product management at companies such as Avid, Softimage and Autodesk.

“MPC Film has a long history of developing in-house software that redefines and innovates the VFX workflow, so I am really excited to have Paul joining us to further establish MPC Film as a key VFX innovator, delivering new breakthrough frameworks and tools to our artists and film makers," says Damien Fagnou, MPC chief technology officer.

“I’m delighted to be joining the fantastic team at MPC Film,” says Doyle. “Very few VFX companies operate at this scale and complexity and have such great shows in production, so I’m very excited to tackle the challenges ahead“ said Doyle.

MPC has had an exciting year having won the VFX Oscar for The Jungle Book, led the VFX on movies including Ghost in the Shell, Alien Covenant and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales and crossed the uncanny valley with their Rachael digital character for Blade Runner 2049.

MPC is in production on The Lion King, Aquaman, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Dumbo, The Predator, Skyscraper, Ad Astra, Godzilla King of the Monsters, The Darkest Minds, Underwater and The New Mutants[/quote]

Unfortunately this means that the future of Fabric is as an MPC in-house tool. It also means that they won’t release shit to the public.

Oh well. I know how to program in C. I don’t really need Fabric engine to build cool stuff.