Extruding Edges C4D

Hey there!

Does anybody know how to do this in C4D?

Around 01.13.49

With the extrude tool, once selected edge and set 90° degree, extruded edge overlaps to the existing one (basically it adds a extra edge)

Am i missing something?

I don’t see any extrusion.

Screenshot_22

He cuts two new loop-edges around a central one and scales down the central.

I don’t use 3DMax but I think by “Extrude Edge” it means to design an outline as an extrusion, not physically extrude the edge.

Thank you, i also believe ‘Extrude Edge’ is misleading

Any chance to do that in C4D ‘natively’? Adding loops and scaling down the central one i think it is not the smartest solution as the scaled loop would’t be even on curved surface for istance.

Extrude faces and then stitching and sewing the resulting extrusion won’t be even as well

If the surface is curved you could try an extrusion - delete the original - and bridge the new points , but i don’t know if the the extrusion will always happen to a desirable direction.

Maybe someone else can shed some light to this.

Maybe I am missing something, but isn’t this just an extrusion along the edge normal?

If so, this can be done in Cinema 4d as follows:

The edge should be converted to a pair of edges along side and “parallel” to it, with a nominal equal distance away from it, using bevel in edge mode (i.e., logically conver the edge to a thin polygonal strip). The resulting strip with minimal width (which should not include the original edge, btw, along its middle - i.e., change bevel settings in previous step or get rid of original edge after bevel using dissolve) extruded along its polygons’ normals. Then all neighboring points along the width of the strip should be welded together (e.g., optimize with a width >=the strip width) to make the polygonal strip back into just an edge again. This will work even if the original edge is uneven, twisted, and/or lies over a 3d contour, as long as the angles between segments are not too wild (i.e., are “curvy” in nature, but some hard angles that aren’t too great might work also).

Hey there, thank you for your help!

This is indeed a clever solution, though the resulting welded edge does not seem to be centered and even.
Am i doing something wrong?

Hey Trym1, your result looks incorrect. If you are going to weld instead of using Optimize, you need to weld each point pair at the midpoint between them, otherwise the points of your resulting edge will be along one of the helper strip’s sides (and you want them all to be welded in the middle of the strip, corresponding to your original edge). If you look at your last image, you will see a sawtooth like step instead of a nice isosceles (non-right) triangle, where you lowered edge is the same distance horizontally from the two edges above it.

When using the weld tool, If you select the two points you want to weld, before selecting the tool, you get a little helper set of dots that allow you to select to weld position to be at sel. point #1, sel. point #2, or mid-way between points #1 and #2. You want to weld at the mid-point.

Optimize chooses the midpoint automatically, which is why I mentioned it as the tool for the job. Just make sure that you set the Optimize threshold large enough and select only the points you want welded by Optimize, so some innocent bystander points that are not part of your edge don’t get “Optimized!” (i.e., welded inadvertantly, due to the large threshold you set for Optimize).

Also, remember to reset the Optimize threshold back to something small, like it’s starting value, when you are done with this operation, so you don’t wind up destroying a mesh later on when trying to optimize it.

The process is a pain in the rear in C4D, but that’s the way it goes… It’s possible to do this in other ways as well, but this is probably the fastest most accurate way I know of. If someone knows of a better way, please feel free to chime in.