Ephemeral World, Renee Bailey (2D)

Title: Ephemeral World
Name: Renee Bailey
Software: Photoshop

This is what I’ve been working on for the past couple of weeks off and on. I learned a lot in this process. Mostly though about how I’d like things to look. Generally it is really difficult for me to get things how I imagine them – and in this process of this piece I learned a little more about HOW I’d like things to end up.

Photoshop, lots of hours watching movies and painting =D

This is a very fine drawing. Your rendering of the fairy is very good, and the bee looks fantastic. Given a difficult perspective angle this is a very impressive piece. The main problem I have is the scale. Given the size of the bee, the fairy looks too big to sit on a leaf. I’d say a fairy of that size would need a branch to sit on. I’d just scale up the bee, especially because it is so beautifully drawn and disserves more attention. A fantastic drawing none the less.

Hi Renee
Great job. I’ve seen this work on early stages of developing and you did an amazing progress since then. Congrats. If you have added some textures on leaves it would be even better. But is ok, we learn a bit with each piece.
By the way, are you fan of Kiki’s delivery service? I’ve watched this movie 9 times, and I really love Kiki and Jiji, the cat on your avatar :slight_smile:

Great looking work, I’m not sure if this is correct since I’m not an expert on anatomy but something isn’t right with the legs of the fairy. The leg farther out in particular looks like it rises too far up… the actual problem may be elsewhere (like the rounding of the other leg or the angle of the shoulders and arm?) but at a first glance this sticks out to me.

It is a very difficult pose/angle. Great job on the overall quality of the piece.

Hey guys! Thanks =D

I should show the ref pic of my daughter that I used:

I didn’t notice the knee until today! Can you believe it! haha =D I’m not sure if I’m going to go back to it or not… I’ll have to ponder it, but I’ve flattened it and that makes my head want to bust just thinking about it! :smiley:

Well, to be perfectly honest, that leaf isn’t supposed to even be a real leaf. I had a sort of crises in the midst of doing this piece - I realized that I want to go more stylized and cartoony with my paintings – I had imagined this with this piece, and failed utterly in rendering it out. I just basically am the type of painter at this point who tries blindly :smiley: But hey, I can’t complain, I’m still very much a novice and amateur so everything is a learning experience.

I still can’t believe I didn’t notice the knee til today though, after I went through all the posting of it… bah! :smiley:

Admittedly, I just had to finish this one at this point to get it off my plate. Maybe when I’m more experienced I’ll be able to shelve things and go back to them - right now it needs to be completely off my mental whiteboard of ‘things to do’ :smiley:

I think the reason I didn’t texture the leaves was precisely because I was trying to add the more stylized look. Bah, sometimes I feel so wonky I dunno what I’m doing! :smiley:

Oh and I LOVE Miyazaki!! I’m a huge huge fan :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: naise work-:thumbsup: madjik aymosfera

beautiful, beautiful palette. i like the idea, composition, as well as those plants.

:).

I saw all the wip’s thread and you did an incredible work with this piece!
Beautiful use of colors, beautiful idea and I think you are “on the way” to obtain the cartoonish style you want (as example, leaves are perfect :thumbsup:)

Bravissima :slight_smile:

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

I’m pretty ambivalent about this one, but I suppose everyone sort of feels that way about their work. All I can hope for is that one day I am mostly satisfied!

Thats just a lovely image, great use of your talent. well done.

best regards
Liam

Thanks Lman :slight_smile:

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.