Eon (3D Scene) Entry: Steven Pendrous

Hi again,

This image shows the main part of the vehicle chassis. I’ve looked at quite a few images of Snowcats and have tried to follow the overall design as closely as possible. They all appear to be based on a similar design which generally seems to be a box section chassis with an engine at the back (surrounded by a walkway and guard rail) and a cab at the front.

When reading the book I had an image of something that was overall quite basic and rugged in appearance, but with hints of technology as if it had been fitted out specifically for use on the ‘Stone’. Hopefully I’ll be able to get this idea over when I start work on the cab section.

Anyway, please let me know if you think I’m on the right track. Thanks.

Steve

Hi,

‘madshooter - thondal - targus - mmoir’

Thanks for your comments guys… I definately think the lighting and camera perspective are going to be two of the most difficault things about this challenge for me. I’ve never attempted anything like this before so I’m hoping to ‘play around’ with the lighting and maybe some of the atmosphere shaders in metal ray before I get to that stage. Don’t know if anything will be any good yet for what I want, but if I don’t try I won’t know!

Thanks again!

Steve

Looks like you and I are thinking along the same lines…perhaps a little too closely. Looks like I’m going to have to rework the design on my vehicle a bit, otherwise we’d have too much of a similarity. I guess this was bound to happen with such a popular scene in the book. :banghead:

Anyway, good work on the modeling.

Hi,

Here’s the latest update of the ‘personnel carrier’. I like the idea of it being quite angular and primative in comparison with the clean lines of the Thistledown architecture.

Please let me know what you think?

Jedi-juice

Just had a look at your thread and both our vehicles are VERY similar!!! Send me a PM when you get a chance and we’ll try and work something out… if we both change our designs a bit I think we should be able to hide any distinct simularities?

Think we’ve both been using the same images of the net… That’ll teach me for using ‘Google’ for reference material!

very quick and detailed work, i like it! Is this cell shading style just for the WIP shots or will be also present in the final entry? Good luck!:thumbsup:

Hi Johnny Master,

Thanks for the nice words about my modelling…I feel like I’m really starting to get into this challenge now!

At the moment I’m just boxing out the main shape of ‘personnel carrier’ so its still quite quick and rough. I like the idea of keeping it a bit ‘boxy’ looking (slight 80’s style) but I’m still planning to add a lot of extra details with riveted panels, ariels, warning signs, mirrors etc. This detailed bit is where I generally seem to spend the most amount of time as I try to bring my models ‘to life’ with different textures.

I’m definately going to change the style of rendering when I start UVW mapping and texturing… I’ve just been planning around with the contour shaders in mental ray and thought I’d use one for some of my WIP.

Should have some more to upload soon so please keep the comments coming… it really does help!

Steve

Sweet style of rendering. I was wondering what you use, but seems it’s already been awnsered. But what 3d app do you use? And are the shaders actual mental ray shader? I’ve never tested those contour shaders before.

The model is comming along nice. Very down to earth and functional.

great work

yes, your model looks nice… keep it up :slight_smile:

Don’t worry about it Steven. Your design looks more like a Snowcat anyway. I didn’t want to make my model look too Snowcat-like. :slight_smile: I’m trying to give mine more of a military-type look to it. Besides, I only need to replace the rear bar for something else.

Hi,

‘Nothingness - MacAndre’

Thanks for the comments… I’m currently using 3ds Max 8 and yes the contour shaders are ‘built in’. The material is a standard blinn with the contour map asigned under the ‘mental ray Connection’ rollout in the ‘material editor’. You also have to enable ‘Contours’ and asign maps to ‘Contrast’ , ‘Store’ and ‘Output’ within the ‘Camera Effects’ rollout of the ‘Render Scene’ dialog.

As I mentioned previously, I’ve only been playing around with this for a few days (and definately haven’t got it working quite how I want it) but have a look… ther’s some really cool things in there!

‘Jedi-Juice’

Thanks for letting me know that… and I’m pleased everythings OK! Spoke to a couple of people at work and they all agreed that they were definately different enough for it not to be an issue (especially with finished maps and textures). Anyway keep up the good work, your models looking great!!!

Steve

Good modelling, model is clean and right, nice start.

But i think there is some “overshoot”, detailed bottom part of this machine will be invisible to us, so i think some part’s of this model can be much simplier. May be you whant to crush it lately to show all modelled parts, i don’t know.

Good luck.

Nice looking vehicle. You’ve got a good rugged look to it, and it’s interesting to see you’ve chosen to give it the “tried and true” leaf spring and live axle suspension set-up. Simple, effective and can’t go wrong. I also agree with the comments regarding your render style. The cel shading is very effective at showing off your modelling skills.

very nice very nice I like your style man, can’t wait to see some updates here :smiley:

Thanks for the comments guys…

‘Targus’

Thanks for the advice…I have modelled probably a bit more of the vehicle than is really necessary. The thing is, I don’t want to restrict myself with any camera angles just because I skipped over part of the model. I’ve done that once before and spent ages going back over it trying to add the extra components i needed to see in the shot. I also quite like the idea of having the vehicle on a polished stone bridge with steel bands running across it which will no doubt reflect quite a lot of the underside.

‘HowieFarkes - tastatura’

Thanks for your comments about the rendering, however, I’m not too sure how much longer I’m going to be using the ‘cell shaded’ style for… might revert back to my good old tried and tested render setup soon.

I’ve been working on the vehicle cab recently, but I’ve been thinking more and more about starting to model Patricia soon and unfortunately cell shaded renders will definately not work for her!!

Should have something else for you all to see very, very soon…

Steve

Well… I know its been a long,long time since I lasted posted anything (don’t seem to have anywhere near as much time as I’d like) but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been busy. As I mentioned previously, I thought I’d get to work on Patricia. I’ve spent a huge amount of time trying to get it to look ‘right’ and I think with a few materials (bump, diffuse etc) she should start to look how I look how I want.

I also just finished the body (minus hands and feet!) so I’ll get that posted in a second as well.

Please let me know what you think?

This is the final body design although as you can see there are no hands or feet yet (should have them finished in a day or so). At the moment this is all just modelled using poly’s and a meshsmooth, but I plan to add a lot of extra details with bump and diffuse maps (might add a displacement map in there too, but not sure yet).

Once again there’s probably more modeling than I need to do, since she’s going to be clothed, but at least this should give me a base when creating her jumpsuit.

Please feel free to ask any questions… or just let me know what you think.

Steve

wow…my respect, you are really a fantastic modeler! I love the face, very, very nice work. I’m looking forward for your next updates, very curious at this moment!

Wow! Impressive modeling on Patricia. :thumbsup: Nothing to crit other than she doesn’t appear to be Latina, but it’s still too early to tell. Texturing and hair can change that.

I just hope that I can do a good job on my Patricia. She will be my very first female model. :argh:

‘johnymaster - Jedi-Juice’

Thanks for the comments guys… I really appreciate it! There’s some absolutely amazing work coming out of this challenge, just hope I can keep up. I think the tough bit for most people (especially me!) is going to be compiling all of the elements into the final scene. Hopefully I’ll get there… just got to keep on working at it!