Eon (3D Scene) Entry: Leonidas J. del Rio de Leon

Thanks for coming Black…

I think ill find some time to work on the head now that the deadline is extended and all but im kinda worried about the rest of the body and the riggin it will be to much for me but if i can, ill do the head only k… ill be fun :wise:

I just started with 3d last year in June doing lightining and texturing then this challenge was an excuse to learn modeling but it has become more than that i learn a lot already and still learning… i been working this last days but nothing impressive ,uptades coming today and tommorrow i promise :rolleyes: i spend some time working on the city chamber buildings … i call this buildings the fill buildings theyr on tge ground of the chamber and the repeat a lot … it was kinda unsuccesfull so i get back to library interior and update the chair now i got some ideas about the cap and ill do that next … i need to develop a rock shader for that…

hey man that joke about architect was funny lol… it reminds me that i have to fill the roll of an architec for this challenge kinda of uknow is kinda hard to come up with buildings for the year 2220 aprox… if u know what i mean i think u know… but i guess i can come up with that stuff since i did a class on solid edge in college duhh… i got a friend whos is an architect maybe he can hook me up with lightining jobs for building and such does taht pay well ?

thanks for the head and jpg info ill look into it :scream: that’s it for now im gonna get some lunch…

bye

More Concepts for the interior of the library …

Progress on the seat… its starting to look like the sketch … still not happy with it… :frowning:

I started with the shader last night this is what i got so far… im using a layered shader node with to high res textures for color connected to a blinn … using bump map and displacement mapping

This is my progress with the shader it need to look kinda shinny … nickel iron base type… like an asteroid duh…

Ok i need to move on to more modeling …I do like criticism so feel free :slight_smile:

Hey Leonidas,

The Chair model is looking cool as is the library area, maybe a few more details there would be good. Keep plugging away with the head modeling , it is a hard thing to do but very satisfying when you make progress.
Keep up the good work and hope you finish.

Hey Mike… I spent some time with the head today and things are looking better but not great :wise: … i think i upload some of the progress tonight or early in the morning … your scene is looking pretty good il give some comments later k…

this the shader im developing in maya using layered textures i use a 2d fractal for displacement … i import the shader to the scene and for some reason the shader does not displace in the Eon scene… i make this on a new scene the import into Eon scene…
i need to apllied that to a big surface like cylinder with 25 km radius and 30 lenght … i did try with other surfaces that big and i didn work does not displace …i see only textures with no reflections even the bump does not work … everithing works well in the scene i develop the shader but no when i import it… im using RfM…(renderman for maya)

i did some test in the final scene making another simple shader with lambert i think and 2d fractal also for displacement it does work on some of the objects but not on the cap wich is 25 km radius … i just get only color of the shader no displacement no bump no reflections.// but in the interior part of the scene works well on the objects… if i try to resize and object that th shader actualy work it happen again no displacement when i resize it big enought… hoping to get some help with this :sad: … modeling update coming up im gonna give this shader a rest a move on to other thing otherwise i aint goint to finish.

Thanks

Thats a nice network…

But there is something I don’t get.
Since all five of the textures are file textures (that you set as an input value for the Layered texture)… why don’t you just create ONE texture file and use THAT alone? Instead of having MaYA have to calculate each and every node (not to mention a 2D placement for each and an aditional layeredTexture Node)?

UNLESS you have made a very special arrangement with the place2DTexture node for each file texture (since none of them are 3D projections), I believe you can do your computer a great favour by merging the textures before you import them.
Or, at least convert them to a texture file within MaYA if you don’t have an efficient graphic editing program.

That said, the render of your shader looks fantastic… thank you for sharing the network with us.
I am not sure if I would call it “Asteroid” as of yet…
But I can see where it can take you… I would like to see how you use it in your scene.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Black

@Black… yes ur right about the shader the 2d placemen is the same on each it need lotsa optimisation …but i have a litle problem its not working fine on the Eon scene … the renders its from the scene i develop wich wasnt the Eon scene unfotunatly … i gotta do more testing with that ill keep u inform k … hope u hava an idea about fixing the problem im getting

Thx

I read all through your thread over again… sort of searching for the problem you said I must have skipped on, but I don’t understand what you meant… as I HAD read your latest post… if the problem you are referring to is the rendering bit;
Unfortunately I don’t use Renderman myself… it has been used in many projects I had been introduced to… But not by my person (not to mention that I don’t have one :sad: )
That was why I couldn’t/didn’t post any pointers…

But through personal experience, I do not understand why it wouldnet displace a surface just because of it being too big.

I use Mental Ray;
If you were using Mental Ray, I would presume you have made a mistake in the proximation editor… Or that you have to play with your colour gain values to increase it. But the bit about your trying it elsewhere and getting results… but not getting results in Eon is sort of puzzling.
I am sure you must have checked your surface for errors, and it most possibly is fine.

And Normal maps;
I personally use Normal maps as displacements can get too messy or unpredictable some times.
Since MaYA on it’s own doesn’t have a normal map node to read the colour data into the normal camera (at least that I know of) after converting the normal map through RGB-to_XYZ node I have the output run throgh a variaty of vectorProduct nodes (vectorised samplerInfo as its inputY)

Because the normal ap tends to alter the light bouncing off, and doesn’t force the geometry to be tesselated at a higher triangulation; it even renders faster…

Sorry… cant help you there;
So be it because of my tendency for normal maps, or be it my never using RenderMan for MaYA, I am this time of the last people that can help you :sad: … Sorry

Black

@Black … Its ok friend i need to do more tests tonight and ill try to explain the problem more clearly :wise:

Lets keep Eoning

im gonna include this table into the scene with some objects in it that ill add later ok … also i like to keep hard edges when im modeling this stuff then i bevel them in the end k so dont worry :frowning:

This are the lightining tests ive been doing tring to get a mood for the foreground part of my scene please mind the hdri image for now and some dark areas cuz the light is not setup correctly im trying diferents setups for light and shadows …

I use raytracing and GI wich is bake previosly also using a combination of directional, volume, an area lights… i think ill change those lights on the upper part of the the columm thingy and create some other objects for the lighs probably in the ceiling …right now those lights are not creating light…i need to develop some shaders for the floor specially and the rest of the objects cuz now im using some old stuff i got and it doesnt fit well for the scene.

i kinda like the latest shot for a final composition i get thos reflections wich can be blurred and i will look better… i need to continue modeling and doing more test renders… i want to add particles like rain also in the final scene ill be using render layers cause is the only way to render the scene properly also ill do a Fog pass wich is gonna be render in mental ray or maya render and will composite that later

I tweak some shadows settings… i was using raytrace and depth map shadows before now im using only renderman shadows rendertime decrease from 3 hours to 45 min aprox… also i got some crashing problems and i notice it was a system cache issue so i increase that.

…in the las couple of days i have little time with this cause of personal stuff ill do some modeling today and shading next.

added fresnel to some of the surfaces … i did some research yesterday need to make marble shader for the floor .

Ive been doing some modeling lately, adding details of the golf tee and more objectos for the foreground updates coming soon… for now more renders.

In the las couple of days i got some problems with rendertime it was cause by a deph map shadow in one of the spot lights firstly i thougt it was cause by some reflection blur added to the floor and other surfaces but that wasn the cause it was the deph map shadow i fix it using ray trace shadows instead on that light …

also i got some issues with image format i was using maya iff and fcheck for exportint to other formats but when i try using higuer resolutions i end up with a lower resolution when i exported from fcheck… i fix the problem using other formats like tiff or targa and not using fcheck at all…

I learn a lot about compositing thelast couple days and also light linking trying to find a solution for rendertime problem … back to normal now but the scene its not finish :frowning: heres the deal i will try to finish the scene but for the animation part i will not have time render it cuz the rendertimes are about and hour or so… that doesn leave enoug time render the animation so ill do my best finish the scene with as more detail i can put in ther but no promises for the animation… :sad:

Hey, Leotril. You use Mental Ray, right? It’s weird, but it’s the only renderer I’ve ever used that seems to be able to do ray traced shadows faster than depth mapped shadows. I have found, though, that playing around with the default settings for Mental Ray for Maya can speed up shadow map rendering. Setting the depth shadows to “simple” often gives me faster results. Still, if you’ve got things working now, there’s no point in twiddling around too much.

Your images are looking very nice. Best of luck – I hope you finish in time!

@vikram sup man… im using the renderman for maya plugin … yea it weird that those raytrace shadows work faster than deep map shadow (actually im using deep shadows it most of the lights and those are renderman ) but i think it was related to other probably geometry cause the rendertimes increase a lot im talking from an hour to 6 then 24 hours render but it changes when i use raytrace shadws for the light. wierd :slight_smile: im gonna have to make time to finish probably dont sleep much :sad:

best luck to u also :thumbsup: