Eon (3D Scene) Entry: James Kaufeldt

nice updates James…

ill try working on the head model of Patricia but was a pain i loss so many days and is a complete mess… Your almost done !!! try to work more on Patricia right now shee looks to much like Lanier after a bad day on the library…
I forgot theyre Stone… oh my bad just kidding :applause:

later

Don’t worry - I’m not dropping out, just saying that it will be a very close shave… Hopefully in a couple of days I’ll find some time to finish everything up… stay tuned… :scream:

nice work so far…umm i dont know why but your model of patricia doesnt look very feminine and rather boney in the face…maybe pack some meat in those cheeks? good luck with the final!! :slight_smile:

-Eon Link-
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?postid=4109615

HFix - Good observation. I’ve puffed up her cheeks a bit, and also gave her a slight nose job while I was at it.

That aside, I’ve made the last few additional models I needed for the still - update below

These are presumably the last bits of geometry I have to build this time around.

As far as the databank design goes - just picture a male Cray XMP marrying a female R2D2… this is what their kids would look like.

Current status at T-minus 7 days 12 hours:

• the animation is completed except for the very last 2 second shot, but I hope to finish that within the next few days so that I can finally post the full animation.

• the print-res still has been rendered to no less than 29 different layers, but I have not yet had time to sit down and do the actual compositing, so that’ll be a couple of days from now as well.

Looks like I will indeed be able to meet the deadline at any rate, but quite a lot of things will be sort of “first draft” rather than “final revision”…

Laters!

dis second one is so cool, u should stick to dat

Current status at T-minus 7 days 12 hours:

• the animation is completed except for the very last 2 second shot, but I hope to finish that within the next few days so that I can finally post the full animation.

• the print-res still has been rendered to no less than 29 different layers, but I have not yet had time to sit down and do the actual compositing, so that’ll be a couple of days from now as well.

• can’t wait the animation upload ! :bounce:

• 29 layers… ! could it be (eventually) possible one day to see a part of your composition workflow ? it could be interesting to see how you manage your render :bowdown:

Your last models are promising for a high detailled piece. :thumbsup:

just dropping by to say i cant wait for the final animation… great work on every stage man… i wish you the best of luck on wrapping up the piece for the challenge…

Squibbers: Yeah, I just knew you had a thing for really thin-haired chicks

SweD: I’ll try to document the compositing as much as possible… there’s a first set of clues coming up below here in a couple of minutes

icedeyes: Thanks dude

These are the layers/passes I’m going to use for the print resolution still image. The original render size is 4000 x 2250 pixels.

Brief descriptions:

1. Exterior backdrop RGB. Rendered with stochastic radiosity in C4D AR.

2. The depth pass for (01).

3. Library interior RGBA. Rendered with 3Delight in order to gracefully handle the sick amount of displacement going on in the bookshelves.

4. Flat color matching (03)

5. HDRI-based ambient light for (03). This pass rendered with C4D AR using Mathias Bober’s “Enlighter” shader to produce imagebased ambience with bent normals.

6. Original depth pass from (05).

7. Original depth pass from (03).

8. Alternative depth pass with glass treated as opaque surfaces.

9. Alternative depth pass from (03).

10. Library interior ambient occlusion to be multiplied with (05).

11. Lanier and databanks straight RGBA.

12. Lanier flat skin colour.

13. Lanier skin SSS.

14. Lanier and databanks depth pass.

15. Ambient occlusion for Lanier et al.

…contd. in next post

… contd. from previous post…

1. Object buffer for meshed panels on databanks.

2. Object buffer for Lanier and databanks excluding (16)

3. Patricia and desk straight RGBA

4. Flat skin colour for (18)

5. Patricia skin SSS

6. Patricia depth pass

7. Reflection pass for horizontal bookshelf shuttles

8. White lights geometry for shuttles

9. Combined glow and lens effects for shuttles

10. Object buffer for shuttles

11. Glow only for shuttle lights

12. Lens only for shuttle lights

Amazing works!!:thumbsup:

ENO

woooot… go wabbit go :smiley:

:surprised :surprised:surprised:surprised :surprised omg…

a big thanks to you James, it’s more than i’ve expected ! it’s really impressive to see all your plan cut, i know now why the 29.
So maybe a noob question (surely…but…but…), but why make a special render for the sss and not a lonely render with flat+sss ? what is the benefit ?

Anyway, great thanks for the opening of your workspace :bowdown:

alvin-cgi: Well, glad you like it

flyingP: LOL

SweD: No reason in particular except for flexibility when comping it really… If you make a combined layer in which SSS is already multiplied with the flat colour, you can’t change the ratio or tweak the individual components afterwards if you for some reason would want that. Not that it’s likely it needs to be changed, but having that option without having to rerender anything is a good thing I think.

Well, here’s what I’m looking at right now… As of this very moment, I’m not sure about what to tweak further, so I’m giving it a rest for a couple of days now that the deadline has been extended and all.

I plan to use this extra time to show the compositing process in some sort of step-by-step fashion, but it’s a lot of work to organize that stuff in a reasonably readable format, so it will probably be a few days until I can start posting those summaries. Not that I’m even remotely any kind of compositing guru, it will just be basic stuff that I found somewhat mysterious myself not too long ago, so hopefully someone might find it interesting.

Laters!

I like the look of the library – particularly the way the books on the shelves hint at stone tablets. Nice work, and good luck to you in this contest.

nice interpretation of the library! are the camera set up are final? btw what do you mean by
“now that the deadline has been extended and all.”?

good job, I think maybe the volume of the library would read better if the backgroud were less saturated…or mayby just the cylinder part, since the hallway is in glaring sun light…

Hi
Nice work on the comp…I think it will be fun to learn a bit about composition … i did my tests already and all but i dunno wich layer use on top … the order of things :wise:

about lanier he looks abit unease kinda out of place… much need therapy he needs after a couple of years up there ull never know :applause: 20 days left :eek:

later