Eon (3D Scene) Entry: chandro c. uttamchandani

Hmmm
Joe Alters [color=lemonchiffon]Shave and HairCut is one of the programs that I haven’t yet put my hands onto
I have heard a lot about it, and it had aided a lot of projects I took part of, but when it came to my personal workflow, MaYA was always contently efficient.[/color]

[color=lemonchiffon]So

I don’t know HOW the software works… but I DO know that it receives dynamics.
Dynamics being a little too complicating for you at this point, what you CAN go for is setting a collision object to match the movement. I am sure Shave and Haircut should have a means to prevent interpenetration of hairs to other objects.[/color]

Since hair dynamics are involved, and you seem to have already prepared your hair and pose; what you CAN do is animate the collision object.
I would advise you to animate it via deformers (like a lattice) but in case that may be too much for the first run, you can animate the scaling of the object… having it firstly buried in her neck… and then expanding.

[color=lemonchiffon]Actually it isn’t too difficult for animating a collision object without animating a deformer

One of the biggest advantages of MaYA to other software is that you can literally animate anything… even the locations of the vertices. Because it would be too much work to select and locate vertices each time, or assign locators, the general workflow would usually be to animate a wrap deformer, or use some sort of joint or blend shape for this.[/color]

Unfortunately you can not blend shape the collision object optimised for hair that comes with MaYA…
But what you ARE able to do is: you are able to make a collision object out of ANYthing… so maybe the best workflow for you MIGHT be for you to :
[ol]
[li]Duplicate Patricia[/li][li]Give her a transparent shader[/li][li]Duplicate her again[/li][li]Stretch this duplicate in parts, around the neck… like as if you were trying to model out the shape of the wind that is blowing her hair.[/li][/ol]Now what is happening here is that you are creating a transparent collision object for the hair… and a blend shape for it to morph to.
Select the modified transparent one and then the unmodified transparent one… then hit “Create blendShape” from the deformers menu (You can delete the second one once done).
Now in the blend shape dials set key to 0 at a starting point for the morphing (the wind blowing) and then set a key to 1 at a time you want the wind to be at it’s full.
And don’t forget to make this guy a collision for the hair system.

[color=lemonchiffon]The reason that you need to have your collision object animate is that you HAVE to start the simulation from your rest position NOT interacting with your new collision object. Otherwise the hair will penetrate and then be locked UNDER the object, and we really do not want that.[/color]

I am giving the above method mostly because you would have perfect control on how you would want things to move around
hence manually sculpting the shape.
But

[color=lemonchiffon]IF you want to use dynamic forces instead
we would have to first decide on WHAT sort of dynamic you will prefer using, and then I can again try to put together a follow through for you to test on your character (I say test… cause that’s mostly what dynamics end up to be… they are FUN, but not always too predictable)[/color]

I hope this can give you SOME amount of ideas for your composition to come.

Black

Ps: [color=white]Silo is a fantastic program… and very affordable too. We have it on our “Next to buy” list… the demo was veery pleasing.[/color]
But not sure if we should wait for the new release or not… I hear from the beta testers that the interface was better in the current version.

Thsnks Black,

i use shave coz i think its easier to learn specially we have time constraint, but i will learn the maya hair after this contest. right now im squezzing time to finish the project, i dont know if i can make that kind of animation..i still need to learn those stuff from blendshape and lattice or deformers, collision .. i tried exploring it but it taking too much of my time. (too heavy to learn)

i believe your suggestion is a good workflow but my knowledge and time is limited right now.
i may settle for a simple camera movement just to finish this one.

i havent tried the latest Silo yet… i use silo for organic modeling, but right now maya has a lot of modeling tool that makes my life easier :). (though i still use both)

Thanks for the advice! it will be a privelege to be a part of your group… your a good teacher:thumbsup:

experimenting with lights…rendering taking too much time adding the fog… theres still lot to tweak.arrgh Pls click the image…!

seem the my update got some weird result… heres a little bigger image

i have to update same material, i just found out that i saved it in cmyk.

The scene is improving veeery well.

You have come a very long way on this challange thread alone. And the results are proving to be something to be proud of.

You may want to condier two things on the remaining time you have left…
(Actually three… if you are not already planning on a sort of motion blur on the pieces)

The first would be to have a nebula burst/galaxy belt… a star cloud or some variaty you would see in space from outside the atmopheres bumper.
It would help draw a profile around your [color=white]Patricia’s head in this way.[/color]
(Or if you would preffer to have the scene seem as if it is of Patricia from earth… you may want to add a haze of blue to the bottom… like you would see in the sky at night)

The second thing is related to her eyes… especially with this lighting it is far too obvious that she has dry, solid round eyes…
Unfortunately shaders fail to give the wetness in all lightings… what I personally do to counter the effect is I create two curves on surface (One on the eye, and the other on the bottom eye lid’s rim), then I loft a surface between them and keep history on.
what happens is that this surface goes around WITH the eye as the eye moves around. Just like water would… so I just give it a transparent specular shader.

In YOUR case how ever… It may be overkill (unless you would like to practice) to go on in and do that… you may be able to add the necessary wetness with post effects as well in a photo editing program… (Same goes for the nebula… both can be post processed… your call)

Looking forward to see the final (Which seems to be not too far :slight_smile: )

Black

Black,
thanks a lot for the suggestion! right now im having problem rendering the complete scene
ive got “out of memory” problem with mentalray.:sad: i still need to learn render layers… im really frustrated coz this taking too much of my time and lot of work schedule ahead.

Your ideea to line out Patricia is verry suggestive.

ive encountering a lot of problem mostly rendering issues. i really dont know if i can make it but ill try. theres a lot to tweak but…

Hi Spire, “Your ideea to line out Patricia is verry suggestive” what do you mean by this?

im really deppress for not making it… till the last hour still ni rendering stage for the hair…
frustration sometimes hard to handle. ill finish the hair after a big break (time to my family).
but the good side, ive learn a lot, lot.
i would like to thank all who visit my thread and giving feedback and creative critism and comments…specially Black (Berter Akyol) taking time answerings my private messages.

whoever wins. to God be the glory.

heres a higher res of my unfinish work.
Link:
http://img480.imageshack.us/my.php?image=unfinishartml9.jpg

Was just examining your post with my wife, and she agrees that it is an image not to be expected from someone of your amount of experience.
I personally liked the bursting touch of the buildings… hos tey are puching out of [color=white]Patricia… nice attention to details anc composition…[/color]

You have done a LOT in this thread, and I hope you have now a lot more titles noted down to dig into. MaYA is a bottomless pit, and has TOO many features to be able to learn and expert in a lfe time… I personally never got fed up with it.

Hope you will enjoy it as much as I have had…

Black

Hey chandro. So sorry to hear that you didn’t reach the deadline. Same happened to me. In my case, I was finished with everything and still had 43 minutes remaining. Unfortunately, I ran into SO MUCH trouble trying to convert my .avi into .flv. I finally figured out how to output a satisfactory video, but by then it was too late. :cry: So, I feel your pain.

I agree with Black. You have come a LONG way since your first start in this challenge. You learned a lot and fairly quickly. IMO, you have what it takes to become a great 3d artist. I hope that not reaching the deadline does not discourage you from continuing with this 3d business. Keep up the hard work and practice, practice, practice! I’m sure I’ll be seeing good things from you in the future. Rock on buddy! :buttrock:

Until the next challenge…:beer:

hey buddy! im very sorry about the deadline :cry:

im ever greatful that u visited my thread! meant a lot to me!

wishing u the very best in life! do take care bro! god bless ya!

@Black,
Thanks you to both of you, youre right Maya is a bottomless pit to learn.
im still excited to explore each feature and apply it. hopefully find a career related to 3d someday:).

@Jedi-Juice
Thanks! ill be practicing again after a week (a little break)
im discourage for a while, but now im back:scream:

@nwiz25

sure man, i wish im good at photoshop and somehow can also join illustration challenge:)
youre good! Thanks

ill be studying rigging this coming week and the same time finish my other unfinish models
hope to see again in the next challenge:)
i hope the theme will still be exciting like eon. when do you think will be the next challenge?

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.