"Eleven," a new short from Anzovin Studio

We just finished an internal short film. It started out as a test of a new rendering pipeline and turned into a much bigger project while we weren’t looking. :slight_smile: Anyway, I hope you like it! But even if you don’t, please let us know what you think!

[http://www.vimeo.com/16100838](http://www.vimeo.com/16100838)
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlPwTMSIg5s](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlPwTMSIg5s)

–Raf

absolutely loved it. great animation and really liked the whole overall quality of it. Awesome work!

Wonderful, especially the acting/timing is quite a few levels above average, which makes it special and enjoyable.

heheheheh wonderful & very funny

i like it look like this work

keep on & good luck

haha-hawsome ! :cool:

That was even better than The Duel. And The Duel is one of my favorite shorts.

that was really awesome i really laugh when i saw it
keep…up

my character animation demo reel
http://www.vimeo.com/10816291

my web site
www.alaaafifah.com

Very nice! Do you have any behind the scenes stuff? Maybe CGTalk will do an article on the piece so we can learn more about your pipeline?

Thanks Floyd! There wasn’t anything that unusual about the pipeline–we were spitting out separate passes from a Mental Ray render and then recombining them in Shake. It was just new to us at the time.

Hi Raf (and Hi Floyd while I’m here!) - that’s an awesome piece of work! Great timing, acting, lighting, great overall package and a very funny premise. More info about your render pipeline would be very interesting.
I was just mentioning you yesterday over on the Hash board about the render style you used a few years back on a folktale from India, creating a flat, cut-paper look with 3D animation. I’ve always loved the look of that piece. I still use the Setup Machine on a regular basis! My favorite rig so far.
“Eleven” is great but playing devil’s advocate for a moment, his bubble-helmet kind of gets in the way of the logic of the environment, and his voice sort of echoes off the canyon walls and sounds “out in the open” instead of being muffled.

Love it. Great animation and lighting. How long did this take?

Great work, that marine was really well animated - nice movement through the space and great facial anims. Really liked the idea as well, nice execution.

Nice short! Congratulations.

I was just mentioning you yesterday over on the Hash board about the render style you used a few years back on a folktale from India, creating a flat, cut-paper look with 3D animation. I’ve always loved the look of that piece. I still use the Setup Machine on a regular basis! My favorite rig so far.

Thanks! I’m still very interested in doing stylized rendering and the next short we do will be more stylized.

Love it. Great animation and lighting. How long did this take?

Eleven took two and a half years to finish. That’s largely because we were working on other stuff at the same time, but it’s also because doing detailed characters and environments is very time consuming, and a more fully-rendered style demands more realistic animation.

“Eleven” is great but playing devil’s advocate for a moment, his bubble-helmet kind of gets in the way of the logic of the environment, and his voice sort of echoes off the canyon walls and sounds “out in the open” instead of being muffled.

Yes, we talked about that when we were boarding the short, and decided that the image of somebody talking into a communicator was so iconic that we wanted to use it even though it didn’t make any sense (you’d think his suit would have a communicator!)

It sort of went along with the idea that Eleven’s technology is all old and rusty, and the robots are shiny new technology. He doesn’t even have a bluetooth headset! :slight_smile:

Awesome work! That was funny and awesome! Great acting too! :smiley:

>>Yes, we talked about that when we were boarding the short, and decided that the image of somebody talking into a communicator was so iconic that we wanted to use it even though it didn’t make any sense (you’d think his suit would have a communicator!)<<

Very funny! I sort of got that but I had to mention it!

Great work, I really enjoyed it.

Hi everybody. I’m glad that you enjoyed the short. I did the lighting, rendering, compositing as well as much of the shading work and would be happy to answer any questions about it.

We used the Nexus plugin/shader/pass system released by Luma Pictures several years ago. Eleven’s body, bubble, the robots and the cave all used the Nexus shader which output the passes that we needed. Since we had limited rendering resources for this project - only 2-3 Mac Pros at a given time - I needed to get the most from each render and limit my re-renders whenever possible. The passes were recorded as 16 bit floating point EXR images for extra flexibility in composite. Since we needed to use the Mental Ray SSS shader for Eleven’s face as well as Shave & A Haircut for the hair, I rendered 4 different render layers for the head. One for each light type, (key, bounce, rim, occlusion.) All of the textures were converted to linear light space / gamma 1.0 by the nexus shader. The frames were composited in Shake and then converted back to gamma 2.2 for viewing and final output.

A cave set was modeled an textured using the animatic to add detail to necessary areas. Still, for many of the shots I took renders of the set to create matte paintings with improved aesthetics and projected them onto the existing geometry. This turned out to be more efficient and give better results than trying to get the set to look perfect from every angle straight out of Maya.

cheers!
-Josh Marvel

hahahah that as so cool man…

wow this is really good and funny!..I love the visuals i hope to be this good someday :slight_smile: