Eldorado, Marek Denko (3D)

Title: Eldorado
Name: Marek Denko
Software: 3ds max, Digital Fusion, Photoshop, VRay

After a while I’ve finally finished my new personal project called “Eldorado”. Soil was originally made for a commercial print but client refused this version asking for less violent soil and so on and so on
We all know how these clients/studio stuff work. I kept the soil scene and decided to use it for my own project since I liked it pretty much. I added lots of extra features like grass strands, roots, leaves and other small bits here and there. At the beginning I wasn’t really sure what will be the hero of the shot. I was thinking about tennis ball, golf ball, pack of cigarettes, bottle etc. but at the and one little toy car won.

Here is why: While I was in Los Angeles in 1Q of 2009 I bought lot of toys for my son Adam. All those action figures like Alien, Predator, Spawn, cars like Audi TT, Ferrari and couple of smaller cars I took because I just liked them. As the months passed by and I started to find these toys on the places all over the house and garden almost destroyed by little 2 and 28 years old boys. I took one of them and decided to put it into this soil environment. It was one of these cars I bought just because I liked it. The 1953 Cadillac Eldorado.

And that’s the story
the rest is just my usual 3dsmax, Vray, Photoshop, a bit of Fusion and couple of hours per day. Routine indeed. I was surprised that it has HUGE amount of polygons. Something around 1,566,320,053 (yes it’s over 1,5 billion ) I never really cared and I checked just now while I was writing this promo text. There are mostly instanced models so it was all rendering using just 8-10gb of RAM. Scene was rendered to 5000×3200px resolution and it took around 7 hours on my 8 core machine with 16Gb of RAM.

Dedicated to my family.

Highres and shaded render here:
http://marekdenko.net/?page_id=72

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow :bowdown:

amazing work :cry: :argh: :cry:

wow great image you’ve done there ! I’m totally impressed by the soil, is this displacement map or did you model it in max ? The car is really nice too, and the dof makes credible the scale of your scene. Really nice work, congratulations.

gr8 as always Denko rulez
:beer:

Master Denko

beautiful work as always.The amount of detail you put in something is amazing.

well, another masterpiece! I love your ideas and the way you’re able to bring them “to life”, really great work… and thanks for sharing the story also:)

best CG soil i have ever seen, by a landslide :bowdown:

Extra details, I love it!!

The DOF is added in post pro? Also the Aberration?

as usual… looking for stars more than five :slight_smile: good job marek

great man :slight_smile:

prfect for me :slight_smile:

fantastic shot Denko , really awesome work
I have some questions I hope you will answer me
first of all why don’t you use Zbrush ?
what is your graphics card ?
and how many time did you spend on this project ?

I hope we can see the making of soon , that will be great

amazing work
5 stars

Wireframe? I kid, I kid! :smiley: With over 1 billion polys it will be just one big dark mass for the soil. :wink:

The soil is just perfect and the sense of scale is spot on. Excellent work as usual Denko! :bowdown:

Absolutely amazing. Looks so realistic.

stunning as aways!

5 stars!

insane ground geometry and very nice rendering!

Another masterpiece as usual. Greatly made.