Driven IPO feature

Where can someone find tutorials or other documentation that detail how to use the new driven IPO feature that is in Blender 2.4?

Hi Thomas.

Just yesterday, I played around with this concept. I put up a page with some notes and blend file. Hope they shine some light on the concept. I will write a detailed tutorial in a day or two.

Click on the image to read the page.

Thanks Satish, and it’s Tron. Thomas is my last name.

I looked at the link you sent me. It is fine for demonstrating the end result of the driven IPO. What is lacking is an explanantion of how it was accomplished.

For example, I noticed one screen shot shows the transformation properties of a cone and it has a driven channel entry in the interface. I do not get any driven channel entries for the transformation properties of any objects I display for scenes in Blender.

Exactly how am I supposed to map the channel of one object to another?

Don’t know about tutorials but i played about with them and found that ya can’t use them on bones.

What i wanted to do was have a bone drive another bone but without using an action.

Unfortunatley ya cant as all the bones in the hirearchy get the ipo driver.

Also you cant use them with actions to controll constraints.

If that makes any sense ??

In the IPO window click one of the values (like LocZ) so that a grey box comes up next to it. Hit N. This pops up the transform properties box. Hit the Add Driver button, and in the OB: box type in the object whose properties you’d like to drive.

An example would be two cubes, named cube and cube.001. Add a driver to cube.001 for LocZ. Two buttons in the Transform properties box comes up, one that says Object (this is the type of driver) and one that says Loc X. Change Loc X to Loc Z and when you move the “cube” box along the Z axis the “cube.001” box will follow.

If you want to make a different relationship between the two you can add an IP curve to the channel and play with it.

Hi Tron.

I started writing a tutorial on Driven Keys. I will post a link to this thread in a day.

In the meanwhile, if you haven’t already read the official documentation, you can read it here.

I think you can drive other bones, but only if it won’t cause a cyclic dependency relationship. I think the evalution for cyclic dependencies might get changed to allow certain cyclic dependencies, but not sure if/when that will happen.

LetterRip

You can drive bones. I started messing around with it, and I was able to drive a bone in an armature using a external empty object that was parented to the armature.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.