DP_PFNE 9.6 new version

Hello,

Just to let you know that the prolific developer and excellent CG artist Denis Pontonnier has updated his experimental Pixel Filter Node Editor:

DP_Pixel Filter Node Editor (PF NE)

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/DP_Filter.html

This version brings a new function with stunning benefits. By enabling the option “Raytracing/Global 3D Shad.” it applies nodal shading setups globally! so don’t need to apply Extra Buffers node surface by surface! But if you need a more detailed setup, you still can use it in the old way.

Let’s take a look at the setup with this simple scene:

The setup for, let’s say, an occlusion pass would be like this:

Result:

or an AO pass

or a SSS pass (Chanlum)

or an ID_Object pass

or a Reflection Occlusion pass!

or maybe a focus pass?

or passes per light groups! (with the so useful Single Light Lambert node from Michael Wolf)

This PFNE plays nicely with Classic Camera, but by activating the “MultiThread/Persp. AA” option, it works also with Perspective Camera, Advanced Camera and Surface Baking Camera:

There are a lot of more things you’ll can figure out about what we can do with a Pixel Filter NE.

But there’s more, we can export these custom-made buffers/passes to our favorite buffer saver. We can’t preview this kind of buffers but all other conventional buffers (from Render Buffer Node) are preview-able in Viper. Plus, we can save presets!

Remember, they are experimental tools and some things might not work as expected with some third-party nodes. So consider this before to report any odd behavior.

Btw, do notice the final result has not been processed in any compositing package. All optical effects (like the subtle DOF, glares)and other filters like film grain, vignetting and color gradings have been added and composed within Lightwave through the DP_Image Filter Node Editor. But that’s for other thread

Comments and suggestions to improve this tool are very welcome.

Gerardo

Still looking for a thing like this but to work with fprime :slight_smile: But i guess is not possible unless worley does it by himself.

Great job Gerardo.
Thank you to Dennis for this useful tool for LightWave.
Best Regards,
Zareh

first of all…thanks gerado for breaking the plugin(s) down in easy layman terms and even super thankyou to Denis Pontonnier for his tools.

if this is what i think it is… :surprised :thumbsup:

mna…I am getting crashe all the time.

hi Gerardo,

wondering, it looks like it could be able to do rgbdepth map too, do you know if this is correct?

Yes Erikals,

Just input a distant to camera gradient (Layer Color node).

Btw, I’m writing a series of 3 articles by showing several of these possibilities and experimentations with practical examples. In the first article I gonna share a scene , all these presets for render management and several others. Thanks to HDRI3D generosity, the presets will be available in the website and the scene will be available for the readers. Hope to finish the first article very soon!

Julez, download the last version :slight_smile: Be sure also you are using 1 Thread for new LW cameras.

Gerardo

Thanks.

I am using a color key effect in AE to isolate the color pass (objectID)
Is that the best way to do it …or do you have any better recommendations.

Also is there wayto isolate the color pass to a saved image leaving the beauty pass alone?
So one does not have to render per pass

In your HDRI article (which can’t come out fast enough)…will you display your suggested light pass using groups/

In AE, I commonly use KeyLight or AdvanceEdge. With more simple color keyers you might want to apply a Change to Color CC to convert your picked color to a primary color before any keying.

About the saving process, we can render all passes in asingle render! The exporting process is very simple. Just plug the output of your custom-made buffer node (or node tree) to the buffer you want to export (be careful in to use the appropriate kind of buffer - Color/Scalar) - in this way:

Here, we are overwriting the diffuse buffer.

Then, use any buffer exporter in Image Filter:

We can export multiple buffers too.

Since they are custom-made passes/buffers, it would be great if they could have their own extrabuffer saver.

And yes, I’ll share that setup in the article, and many other passes with scenes and presets. But not only about Render Management, I gonna share node setups for Compositing, FX, and Color Grading in the next two articles as well.

Gerardo

Thanks Gerado

I did a search on “AdvanceEdge” … is this a plugin or a switch on another effects panel.

When you do a special pass :Chalum Pass/SSS … do you use color buffer or special buffer … in short does the pass have to correspond to the buffer (diffuse pass - > difuuse shader buffer)

Yes, AdvantEdge opens a new panel, don’t know if there’s still a demo version availeble but one just use sample backing option, drag in the color you want to key and hit Ok. The tool calculates automatically the best setup for you (even if hues are quite similar) - though you can finetune it, it’s not necessary most of the times, in fact, it’s never necessary for an ID_Object pass.

About special passes, no, it’s not necessary the pass has to correspond to the buffer. The only thing we need to take into account is if they are Color or Scalar.

Tip: But let’s say you are using all your color buffers, then you can split a Color output in its RGB channels and export them in 3 scalar buffers :slight_smile:

As I said, it would be great if they could have their own extrabuffer saver.

Gerardo

Sorry to bother you again (or anyone else)
I was so accustomed to the object ID feature in rpf/rla and it isolating the object for me, that the whole color custom object ID pass has my expectations at a alltime low. I am ableto tag the object but it leaves everything visible and there is not a invert/inverse feature in Keylight to just make that object visible. However I managed to get it isolated but it took several duplicated layers to do it and I have the feelingthat I am doing it backwards or the extremely long way.

Anyone want to share their AE screens of isolating an object using the outputted colored “custom” object pass? Maybe I am doing what you doing but I just alwasy feel like I am “hacking” it …

Guess there are several ways to do this, but with KeyLight, you could go in this way:

By setting the Screen Matte, we are able to use the ID_Object pass a Luma Matte. Just 2 layers are necessary. I’ve found that the edges behaves better by working in LCS.

Gerardo

I should have addeed an image in the first place - my bad!

This is what i am trying to do … trying to isolate the orange box on the (screen) right.
and then shade it with the greyscale-diffuse pass…with only the orange being colored (or glow, or hue adjusted or whatever one may like to do with it)

If I understand well, you could go with a setup like this:

The ID pass is working as a Luma Matte in the first layer, and as a color pass, multiplying it with the shaded pass. If you’d want to shade just the orange box, you’d have use the ID pass as a Luma Matte for the shaded pass.

Gerardo

what is the effect you have above the keylight effect?

It would be translated as Change to Color or Color Change. I’ve changed the orange to blue for better keying. Guess a Hue&Sat cc may work, too.

Gerardo

1. What is a focus pass? Is that a depth pass…

and 2 - Single Light Lambert node from Michael Wolf

Is Poms Lights the plugin you are referring to or is this a in-house plugin?

1. It’s a pass based in the focal point position, not in the depth buffer.

2. I was referring to the so useful db&w tools.

Gerardo