Do you guys think it is worth it to start VFX studio from ground up?

Knowing that VFX industry is such a fragile industry. Do you think is worth it to start VFX studio? And What are changes for a new studio to get a clients?
And What about bidding? Is it possible to bid in your terms (vfx studio terms), without letting clients go, before you bid too much or something else?

If you’re successful enough on your own, and are consistently acquiring new clients and projects, then adding a few employees isn’t too hard. It’s really not much different from starting any other company. Just be sure to pay the State racket for protection so they don’t, you know, steal more than they do from the other guys.

I know clients are crucial to sustain any business. What would be best way to properly bid project without hurting the studio? And, as VFX Studio, who should approach foe getting new projects? Should i go directly to big film studios like FoX, Universal? And if so, how?

well i mean you can probably run a barebones studio with a team of freelancers, that way you can expand and contract relatively quickly, but I think you’d still need to invest in a full time sales person to pitch on jobs and accountant to keep things running.

You probably have to pay your dues and do lesser stuff at first.
Or you need enough capital (aka $$$) and inspiration to hire/build an industry ready pipeline with industry veterans
in key areas.
To give you an idea there were 1844 VFX employees that worked on Avatar. But even a modest film has several hundred amongst several studios.
More related info:
https://stephenfollows.com/how-many-people-work-on-a-hollywood-film/

[quote=]nd What are changes for a new studio to get a clients?
And What about bidding? Is it possible to bid in your terms (vfx studio terms), without letting clients go, before you bid too much or something else?[/quote]
If you don’t already know the answers to these questions, then no. You should not open a studio.

I think so, I have opened a motion capture studio, which is quite similar to a VFX studio, but I’m willing to invest the time.

If you want to make a profit and still create interesting artwork then,

1- open a dentist office instead of a vfx studio
2- do personal vfx on the side while collecting money from your dentist office business

. Seriously.

Or why bother doing VFX for someone else. You want to do VFX then get into making your own movies.
Why invest 100,000 in your VFX business when you can invest that in a movie of your own with your IP and take it to film markets and sell it.

It is just as risky and you’d spend that much time getting funding anyway. I’m also not talking shorts but an actual movie or series.

Build the studio and stop asking in some forum if you should do it. That seems sort of candy ass for a business owner to ask if they should do something from a bunch of other artists. Just get to it.

Remember Field of Dreams, “Build It and They Will Come”.

Now go start that business, buy a bunch of stuff you need, hire a bunch of vfx artists or family and friends that want to be vfx artists and the phone will start ringing with work.