Dire Help Needed: Beveling Edges

Everyone knows that surfaces in real life do not have extremely sharp edges like the box in max. Having that sharp edge does not allow light to be reflected so the box doesn’t look real when rendered. I’ve been working with max for about a year now and i cannot seem to bevel edges and leave everything else in low poly. I’m trying to achieve good results with low poly something similar to how a chamfer box is. The chamfer box is good in design BUT one thing about it that really annoys me is the fact that at the corners of the box, the fillet overlaps and creates a spot that is brighter than the rest of the edge and so it kills the realism of it. A meshsmoothed 10 segment box is what i’m trying to acheive but without the unneccessary polygons on the sides. I have a picture detailing this but nowhere to host. Thanks to anyone who responds.

You’ve been using max for a year and still have trouble with this? Read this post for your answers.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=40373

I’m too lazy to find your answers for you, but try around page 35-36 I believe :slight_smile:

I cannot find it on the pages u specified. If it’s so easy why not just blurt it out? Did u even read the whole post? Anyway, thanks for responding.

Hmm, I think that Deathcricket (and the rest of us) is just a little suprised to hear that after a year of using max you have failed to work out away of doing somehting as simple as a beveled or chamfered edge…It is in the manual…

Anyway…

One place to get started would be in edge sub-object mode of an editable poly you will notice that there is an option to ‘chamfer’ (under edit edges). Select the edge you want to bevel/chamfer and off you go… Or use the similar setting in the sub object mode of an editable mesh…

Good luck…

Try this:

Apply meshsmooth to your box. (Segments 1,1,1)
Set Subdivision-Method to “classic”
Play with the “Strength” parameter in the parameter-rollout. ( something like 0.06)

Does that give you the desired result?

To get a chamfered box with meshsmooth, the most controllable way is to slice it up like this.

The closer the edges are, the sharper edges you get on the box.
Another method would be to select all edges and chamfer them as wildyam said.

The meshsmoothed result will in this case be the same. BUT it will become impossible to get sharp edges due to the tri face in the corner of the box that chamfer edges created.

So the slice method above is prefered.

@sigge - Nice pics! Exactly the thing to get perfect edges.

@Nick -

sigh I feel I need to speak up again. Please don’t abuse (take advantage of) the helpful people that post great answers here. I’m not saying your question was an easy one, but this is one of the most BASIC principles of modeling and doing a little research on your own wont kill you. :slight_smile: If everyone here has to answer the same questions again and again they are going to get burned out. That’s why the message I pointed you too is made sticky by the mods. This is something everyone wants to learn when first starting out in 3d.

The part I wanted you to read was on page 40, I was off 4 pages. I apologize, should have known you would not put much effort into looking around and I should have verified the exact spot the information was located. I take no credit for the image, it was made by Dave Black (aka 3d Zealot) who is a mod here and has made vast contributions to this forum. This image is located on the post I specified above. The very FIRST post on the max tips and tricks modeling section btw. They could not have made it easier to find, but in your defense it is very very long. I hope someday I have half the mad skillz he (Dave) has. If only you would take the time to read or maybe look around a little… It’s not hard man.

That being said you will find this one of the best forums around. The people here are awesome and the amount of information here is staggering. I try to come and read on my lunch breaks at work so I can learn CG. You will be amazed at how many “jewels” you come across, like this one here:

Again this is Dave’s work (image), I must have copied this technique a dozen times though. It’s really a flawless method and once you learn, has sooo many practical applications. This one gif taught me more than a couple weeks in class I think.

-Deathcricket Out-

P.S. Big thanks to the people who help those who won’t help themselves.

The method pointed out by sigge and Deathcricket is definatly the way to go. One thing though, I tend to use extrude edge (with a height of zero) instead of all that subdividing and chamfering.

Yeah, and the quickest way to chamfer with a zero value? - Right click on the extrude spinner!

(editable mesh only)

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.