Dawn Of The Ornithopter, Doug Ollivier (3D)

Title: Dawn Of The Ornithopter
Name: Doug Ollivier
Software: Blender

The world has changed, the climate is in turmoil, winds are furious, and resources are few and far between. The Aviation industry has virtually collapsed, teleconferencing and data communications are more popular than travel. The Ornithopter dawns a new era in aviation, riding the wind as a bird, There is no better architype than nature.
This Model was created as part of a Yearly 24h Modelling challenge that I have with another Blender user. 6 materials, and all the poligons we can add in 24h straight.
I was recently on a trip, completing an Environmental Audit of the flaura and fauna in a pristine area. I began to look closely at the birds, bugs and fish. Being an Industrial design student I got a bit industrial with my drawings while trying to appreciate the forms of nature.
There are a few minor errors in this work such as joints in the wing and a couple of feathers overlapping. but any other critique is welcome. I am specifically interested in crit about the aesthetics and peoples stylistic opinions. I love to get new influences and perspectives for my 3d, and design work.
More images from different angles.

Thanks for your time.
Doug Ollivier

simply amazing. Love the concept especially!

i like very much, great design :thumbsup:

Visually striking! It looks more plastic opposed to metal which is good since its a flying machine. I’m not sure how the tail end would hold up with balance and function. But it looks great! I could picture some really nice translucent shaders on the wings like in i robot film to show some of the mechanics and colour hues?
I enjoy viewing original work, not the same old stuff that you always see.

I must say, when I first saw it, I thought the side with the propellor was the head and it’s wings were going forwards. Then I realized that would be strange and got that the other side was the head. In essence, the model and all that stuff is amazinglly good, but the composition as a picture takes emphasis off the head by squashing it down into the corner. The direction that I thought it was going was probably due to the large chunk of negative space in the upper left. If you changed that, I would say “wootles for j00, for you surely are the gerbil king.”

Great Job and modeling

I’ve been following this work, since it was only a WIP.
I must admit that it is one of the greatest blender artwork i have ever seen!
Excellent design!

Very good design! :eek:
Could you make textures?

Great idea and design!

Raymond

I really like the concept of this work :thumbsup:

it looks fantastic!

Great idea, design and modeleing !

I got only one remark : the “head” of the machine is too modern and smooth compare to the rest of the “body”. It sould have some overlaped pieces to keep the bird-nature look (it’s only my point of vue).
With a gloden/brass color and some ornements it could be an Frank Herbert’s Dune Ornithopthere visualisation !

very original flying machine! 5 stars from me

If only the ornithopter could have been this cool in the Dune movie (Lynch not that funky mini-series)! Very nice, I suppose such a thing would have to be made of aerogel to actually go anywhere, a fun idea.

Thanks, and yeah i kind of agree about the tail end, the brief that both of us were working to for the challenge meant that we needed a propellor. somthing i struggled putting into the design.

I totally agree about the colours. There is someone texturing this model for me, i am eager to see what he does to it. i think he is doing somthing along those lines.

…but the composition as a picture takes emphasis off the head by squashing it down into the corner. The direction that I thought it was going was probably due to the large chunk of negative space in the upper left. If you changed that, I would say “wootles for j00, for you surely are the gerbil king.”

Yeah i agree with this also. i think a wider image size would show it off better., i had a lot of trouble trying to fit the large wingspan into the composition without either to much whitespace or a squashed image.

Very good design! :eek:
Could you make textures?

Not me unfortunately, back to university ina few weeks. but there is someone texturing it for me :smiley:

I got only one remark : the “head” of the machine is too modern and smooth compare to the rest of the “body”. It sould have some overlaped pieces to keep the bird-nature look (it’s only my point of vue).
With a gloden/brass color and some ornements it could be an Frank Herbert’s Dune Ornithopthere visualisation !

Interesting crit.

I think i had two stylistic options for it, one is an “Antique futurisitic” feel, and the other is a “sleek futuristic” feel. I don’t think either is necisarily wrong or right.

I chose to go with this style, as I have seen very few if any sleek futuristic designs that take such reference from nature.

I actually like the head, and would rather change the body to fit into the head a bit more.

Dune was an awsome movie BTW, I grew up on that stuff.

I suppose such a thing would have to be made of aerogel to actually go anywhere, a fun idea.

Funnily I was actually thinking the exact same thing when i was designing it. I have followed Areogel for about 5 or more years (i’m sure i saw it on beyond 2000). it is amasing looking stuff. an areogel type shader might also look cool, but would need a lot of SSS.

Thanks to everyone for their compliments.

Doug Ollivier

Glad to see you posted this one here Doug. Great model and really nice renders.

Can’t wait to see the textured version.

BgDM

very nice modelling and idea
inspirational work mate

great idea and execution!

What scale do you imagine it to be?

I saw this on elYsiun.com a while back. Nice job. I like all the details. I wish I could do subdivision details like that. Keep it up. :thumbsup:

yeah ! great vision of a “Dune” like Ornithopter…very difficult to imagine, and there a great possibility