Cycles now available

Nope it wasn’t meant to be anything more than a rough test to see how it would integrate. But Cycles does seem to have its own look, at least with these settings. Need to do some more testing, but the nice thing is that a) it works, b) the smoke is seen by transparency, reflections etc and c) the quick preview is fast enough to work with lights & materials in near-realtime.

I was noticing the same. The edges are a bit crispy. The edges even seem to have a ‘stroke’ on them with no transparency.

Dammit, I already have Octane and Thea. I can’t afford another renderer! (Also, it didn’t play nicely with my Mac Pro for some reason).

That looks great.

I too like Cycles, but have you seen the Denoiser in Corona. It’s amazing. This is something I think that is coming to Cycles and it will be fantastic. Cycles needs a lot of samples for the grain to go, but these can be mitigated with a little Denoiser in AE. Corona however is pristine. I am using a Beta version and the only thing it’s missing on Mac is IPR, which once you start using it ( in Cycles for instance) is sublime. Are you using your new GPU’s for Cycles final renders or a mix of CPU and GPU?

Curious how people are liking Cycles now that it’s been out for a while? Have there been updates and is it too crippled for Mac users vs. Wintel?

Insydium is offering a promotion expiring at the end of the month for Xparticle owners (some free materials). Trying to decide whether to investigate. I know there’s a demo which I intend to check out, but some user feedback never hurts.

I’m still in the playing/exploring phase, rather than using it for any actual output - that might happen with the right project, it’s pretty solid and the IPR is lovely and fluid to work with. I like it much more now I’m on a PC with decent cards to be honest - the CPU mode is OK but chugs a bit.

Did a fluid test recently, using absorption depth, the results were pretty nice and speedy too, 1-2mins per 960px square frame, with the two titan Xs - movie below:

Movie

The X-Particles integration is great but the fact it converts to geometry at render time worries me a bit, I think it might get horribly bogged down with big setups - but I’ve not done much testing there to know for sure.

Thanks for the info Chris. Impressive fluid video. Are those XParticle fluids?

Since posting the question I downloaded the demo. I’ve got an IMac with a Radeon which doesn’t tolerate the realtime preview in OpenCL, but on my older nvidia MacBook Pro it’s blazing fast running cuda.

I’m very impressed with how well they’ve integrated the program, so will probably do some more tests today and decide. I love the nodes.

Ah no, sorry - Realflow/C4D

I’ve got the same MBP I think, with the 750M NVidia card, it runs rings around the Mac tower in certain apps, this was a big part of the decision to jump to Windows.

Unless Apple does something right for 3D in the next year my next pc will probably be Windows. Seems to be the trend around here. Fortunately most of the software I use is cross-platform licensed. I think the biggest problem will be Adobe CS6 Creative.

Wow, that’s cool. 1-2 min per frame on 2 Titans makes me wonder if this is doable for someone like me, as I don’t have the budget for two titans.

I was considering a new PC (overclocked 7700k) with either 1x GTX 1080 or 2x GTX 1070s, but I don’t know which would give me the biggest bang for the buck.

RealFlow the app, not the plugin, correct? The latter got panned a bit for being half-baked / not stable after it came out. I haven’t heard anything to the contrary since. Unfortunately.

No the plugin. It’s fine for simple stuff like this, quick and fluid (ho ho), the problems come when you move on from simple splashy stuff to trying to achieve specifics, like retiming, or remeshing cached sims. And the crashing is depressingly cross-platform.

I get that it’s designed for small scale sims but the crashing you mentioned is what I was alluding to mostly. Hard to get things done if the thing is constantly crashing. Surprised they haven’t issued any statements or updates (AFAIK) — so far I haven’t read anything about a fix.

how’s cycles going for you? still like it?

just purchased it so now trying to catch up on all the back posts about it… seems quiet for a bit from users about it…

anybody got some new tests to show? anyone using it in some types of production?

thanks,

dann

nice! how’s it render on CPU vs the GPU? can you choose which when running in C4D? or does it default/grab GPU if it exists first?

thanks

dann

I have it on Mac and so the AMD cards don’t help that much. I choose CPU and the render times are reasonable. I have done GPU renders but it’s a little flakey. For greater acceleration you need to be using Nvidia cards and CUDA. You can change how you want it to render so only GPU, only CPU or a mix of both. Also the interactive preview can be tuned to be either GPU, CPU or both.

I’m currently a bit frustrated with inSydium’s licensing functionality. I purchased the 5-pack on a nice promo they offered, which should give me 8 nodes. Despite using just 6 I continually have problems with their system thinking I’m out of seats.

They just posted this webinar for motion designers. Looking forward to hopefully learning some new tricks to get more out of Cycles on my trashcan.

https://vimeo.com/215809923

Outstanding webinar.

If you haven’t already done so you need to get in touch with our user support about this. We can’t resolve licensing issues in a forum but we can help sort out the problem if you contact us.

Steve