Creating tightly conforming oil on surface

Here is a wire of what I’m working on:

I want to add oil to this illustration. It will be clean oil so it will be quite transparent. It will need to conform tightly to the gears in various places.

How would you go about getting the oil to conform to the gears? The selected section in the wire above is the approach I was going to take. I was going to extract the region and then tweak and extrude from there. The problem is that if I extract that region it creates a backface with no geometery. Is this a problem? Here is a shot of what I mean:

This goofy geometry may create issues when exporting to OBJ and re-importing into Carrara for texturing and rendering. Is there a way around this?

Here is one thought. I could extract each face individually. Then group them and extrude from there. Would that create proper backside geometry?

All in all, is there a better way to approach this entire thing?

Thanks!

Here is one thought. I could extract each face individually. Then group them and extrude from there. Would that create proper backside geometry?
That doesn’t work. It creates the correct back side geometry. But it won’t extrude correctly even with extrude region. Ugh!

Couldn’t you just connect some of the vertices on the backside to create about 5 four-sided faces?

Sure I could. But then the oil would actually intersect with the gear. I don’t want that. It really won’t look right. I need the oil to sit ON the gear, not thru the gear. I guess I could do that and then cut, connect, slide some edges to where I created a section that could be intruded. Might play with that a bit…

Here is what I did:

[ul]
[li]Extract Region, Normal, Tab, Enter[/li][li]Hide the original object.[/li][li]Select the goofy geometry on the back side.[/li][li]Intrude, Tab, Enter.[/li][li]Invert Selection.[/li][li]Extrude Region, Normal, Tab, .003, Enter[/li][/ul]Here are the results:

Texamosix, your solution wasn’t what I needed technically, but it gave me just the right nudge in the correct direction to figure it out. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I’ve tried several different things with the oil. Too much oil really looked gooey. I just want to to look lubricated. I’m still not sure if this looks sticky, or gooey. Let me know what you think or if you have other ideas about how it could look better.
Thanks!

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.