create aerodynamically visible air

i’ve seen some ad that has a moving car and a simulation of aerodynamics (of course in natural conditions the air is invisible)…
ive been wondering, how to create a thin layer of air that simulates such motion, flowing along a curved entity, is it done using maya fluids or just particles…
if using maya fluid, i cant set goal(s) to the object,
if using particles, what do i use for the air? what type of shader or maybe other methods…

im still very new to dynamics, happen to know a bit of this and that, but sometimes curiosity kills…

ive been wondering, how to create a thin layer of air that simulates such motion, flowing along a curved entity

thats named a [b]wind tunnel[/b] if im not mistaking

if using maya fluid, i cant set goal(s) to the object,
if using particles, what do i use for the air? what type of shader or maybe other methods…

No matter what approach you choose (can be done with both), your curved entity must be a collision object and not a goal.

Load one of the fluid simulation windTunnel example files and do fluids->makeCollide on
your object.

Duncan

ah…so that’s it… a wind tunnel, so its called …
u ppl are so lucky to have english as your mother tongue…i struggled a bit there…heh…
the simulation is ok, unfortunately not quite the ones i wanted…as i created my own windtunnel and created a “going uphill”/ascending (huh?) curved plane, the air seemed to clog or congest,
i actually wanted to create a thin ribbon shaped flow with varied curves and varied endpoint inside the boundary box, that’s why it is so important to have a "particle flow on a “goal"ed surface” like motion, where the fluid is restricted/ or sort of stuck to the curve surface that i created…
do i have to use some expression or is there other methods upon doing it?
thanx for the assistance guys…

I would think fluidExamples->miscellanious->WindTunnel.ma could do what you are after. Check the notes section in the attribute editor on the fluidShape for info on this setup. Also you can adjust the number of smoke tracers and the windSpeed in the extraAttributes block on the fluidShape. For a thinner flow you could increase the resolution of the fluid as well as edit the opacity graph and input bias to threshold the density more. As well you could use the fluid as a field to push particles… make the conserve zero on the particles so they move exactly with the fluid flow. For an actual ribbon you could use the fluid as a force on a hair(if you have 6.0).

If the flow is blocking up on you keep in mind that the top and bottom of the fluid are closed boundaries( this helps channel the wind ). Also check to make sure that your collisions are detailed enough. You can make fluid->shadedDisplay = collision to see the voxels marked as in collision. If this is too blocky try increasing the geoconnector tessellation factor, or for a mesh subdividing the mesh. If this doesn’t help you may need to increase the fluid resolution.

Of course if what you really need is just a simple animation moving down a curve then model a ribbon facing the view and animate a transparency map moving down the ribbon.

Duncan

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.