Corel Bankrupt-Painter discontinued... or...

… so it seems.

Background: I've been posting over the last few weeks over at the PainterFactory.com forum under the "Painter suggestions thread", with the thought that MAYBE that would be the best place rather than here. If the thread is alive still... you can see that I, as well as a few others, have done their best to "call out" the Dev-Team.... and specifically Rob MacDonald the Painter Program Manager, and to try and get some info/answers as to what's up with a new version and/or bug fix patch(s). 

I decided to do a quick Google research, and the following is what I came up with, my comments included in (). This was originally posted in their forum. This is just a copy in case it's too "hard-core" for them to take or allow there.

***** COPY From PainterFactory.com>Painter Suggestions thread*****

Ive deleted this part... it was old news as pointed out to me. My apologies! 

[b]Current Job Opportunities at Corel[/b] 

>>>ALSO Removed by me, the author.

Commentary most welcome!

PS: I’ve edited this post to take out old news. HOWEVER, I still would like to hear what others think about an upgrade, bugfix, whatever, to Painter. Many people have contributed here, and at the PainterFactory.com Forum, with no “real” answers or input from Corel. So are we all gonna stick with the bugs, or old versions… or move everything over to PS-CS3 or CS4?

(I’m getting too old for this S***!)

I don’t get it. Apart from job vacancies/compensation packages, that seems to be eight year old “news”.

You know what… I think I may have had a brain drain here! Seriously, I could have sworn it said June 2008! I"m losiing it here, mainly due to my total frustration with getting anything out of Corel over the last few weeks! Nada! My apologies… although really, Is wear I saw 2008! Too much eye-strainn lately I guess!

I don’t think they are bankrupt, they’re just plain bad devs.

Corel buys software from small devs like Metacreations and Jasc who created very fast and functional software who Corel then turns these programs into buggy bloatware, I’ve seen the pattern way too many times, just look at PaintShop and Painter, look at how the old versions by the original creators were light, loaded fast and were very practical now compare them to the Corel versions, the worse part is that Corel adds very little to no inovation, they have practically been releasing the same version of Painter over the years.

No problem, easy mistake to make. What I want to know now is why/how you have two different votes in the poll? :wink:

IMHO they did a great job with Painter 7 but I in general terms agree regarding to the rest of versions.
But I just would like them to keep Painter alive. I would not ask for much more. :frowning:

Uh, Painter gets updated about every year or so, I wouldn’t want to have to pay for more updates than that personally, but I would like more in the updates with regards interface improvements and better tools, better layering, a fix for the opacity of strokes etc. Advertising for more developers and marketeers doesn’t indicate anything other than they want to hire a developer and some marketeers, it doesn’t say they don’t have developers or a marketing department, that same sort of logic says that a company is in trouble if they have to advertise to sell their product, therefore companies with lots of adverts are in real trouble, it just doesn’t make any real sense, now if they were looking for a complete dev team, then it would be time to speculate (maybe even a new product on the way). Don’t forget that Corel do have a number of other products out there.

Painter 7 was still using the old interface layout, it was like a mix of the old with new features hence why so many people like it, too bad they thought that by copying Photoshop interface they would also get more Photoshop users to switch to Painter.

Adobe at least made an effort with PS CS3, what has Corel been doing all these years? Do they even have a fulltime team working on Painter? I find it hard to believe considering the little work they do with the program.

I just wanted to state again here that I was wrong in how I went about this post, as well as the original post at PainterFactory.com. Talk about sticking both feet up your own A**!!!

I received a very human reply from one of the development team, which I seriously didn’t deserve, when a good smack down would have probably been in order! I promptly apologized, and prefer not to go into detail.

Regardless, the way I went about my criticism was definately uncalled for.

Also, Rob MacDonald has replied in thePanterFactory forum, and I guess I (we?) are just gonna have to live with his answer. I’ll apologize there later re: my “calling out”.

The original post HERE has been edited by me. However… the vote I would like to leave up here. The results should still be interesting, and above else… the only thing of somewhat redeaming value to the original post.

What exactly was the answer that changed your mind? I don’t have the site bookmarked plus last time I checked it didn’t work very well with my browser, the only way Corel is going to redeem themselve is by releasing a fully functional, non buggy, with a good interface and with inovative features in the next version of Painter (11), until then to me they’re just a bunch of imcopetent developers, I mean they added enhanced brush ghost, a cool feature I supposed if only it didn’t made Painter incredibly slow and unusable, so you have to disable it if you wish to use Painter X, how is this logical? Do they even try the software? I won’t change my mind that easily.

I´m a Painter user (and sort of zealot) since Painter 5 came out, so I know the whole story. I´m 100 % with you about how copying PS was horrible. And I am not versed in programation but I suppose that, aside the interface, a lot of code was messed in Painter 8 , because it´s not definitively the same feel and touch .

But , Marco. Be realistic: You cannot compare Photoshop with Painter. Photoshop is the jewel of the crowd for Adobe. Corel has a bunch of graphic apps, and I still wonder how they keep Painter alive because it is not definitively their favorite.
Look at Microsoft: they bought Creature House Expression (remember, that vectorial brother to Painter) and just killed it. They have built a new thing over its code but definitively it´s not that promising application.
Corel even has released new versions. Oh, well. I cannot less that agree to your criticism but like or not, Painter doesn´t play the same league than Photoshop anymore.

I would like to see an innovative , brilliant, bugless release of Painter but , jeez deep in my heart just hope Corel won´t kill this app. It´s sad but it´s true for me.
In other sort of things, I have bought Painter 6, 7, 8, IX and just acquired X cause Painter IX was not universal binary and didn´t run well in my Intel Mac . I will not buy an upcoming upgrade if they lunch just another Photoshop ersatz with a couple of new brushes and a useless feature.

word!

My heart is divided, as you can see. Corel is not doing what Painter deserves but we STILL have Painter. Doh! :frowning:

In the interest of both information and accuracy:

Though the job titles sound similar, the responsibilities are quite different. Rob MacDonald is the Corel Painter Product Manager (not Program Manager).

The thread at The PainterFactory mentioned in previous posts is in the Suggestion Box forum.

The thread name is Painter Wish List.

Click the link below to read the whole thread. Read posts by DocPixel (known here as ThePixelDoc) beginning on page 5 of the thread. Read posts by Rob MacDonald beginning on page 7 of the thread.

Painter Wish List

Doc Pixel and his various aliases seem to have serious negative obsessions regarding Painter. Obviously Painter is not perfect. But just as obviously, no software is perfect and never will be. Software is made by humans and humans make mistakes.

Many,many other Painter users spend their time using Painter because of what it can do.

If the user known as Doc Pixel hates Painter so much, why not use another software program instead. He seems determined to work himself up into a perfect fit of rage. Not at all healthy.

Perhaps he has a not so hidden agenda to try and show Painter in a totally negative light.

Whatever the reason, I suggest he get help soon.

The answer was directly from Rob MacDonald (Quote from Painterfactory.com), “…we are working on stability issues and items that dont work the way people expect them to. For now thats all I can say.” Like the brush-ghosting issue you mentioned I hope.

I’ve posted there, that IMHO, they absolutely have to look into the way they are implementing screen-redraw, and hooking into the GPU. Kinda like the OpenGL improvements that Adobe is implementing in PS. It has always been CP-X’s weakest link, and is the source of many user problems and issues (zooming creates half screens or lines, etc. just for 1 ex.)

Yes… the site is a pain to use and very slow, but it’s what’s there and closer to the source of the problems… and hopefully solutions and answers. It’s why I started posting there.

Hooking in the gpu (come one, will we find that a 128 MB of RAM card is below specs?) is not a must IMNO.

but I would like more in the updates with regards interface improvements and better tools, better layering, a fix for the opacity of strokes etc.

word!

“…we are working on stability issues and items that dont work the way people expect them to. For now thats all I can say.”

Hopefully , Corel Painter dev team will make more than that. Because that is not much :slight_smile:

I think I will have a look at the thread.

I don’t think anyone here hates Painter, I for one wished it was better, should I mention a little cool gfx application called Paint Tool SAI who is designed and programmed by a single person? He added tons of inovations that no other program has them and it’s only in it’s first version, granted it’s also missing tons of features that Painter and Photoshop has but at least it’s doing it’s own thing like Painter was doing before Painter 8 was released, I think that’s what most people critizing Corel want.

Anyway thanks for the quote PixelDoc, I hope they actually do something with Painter 11, adding multiple core support would be a start and a new interface already.

We have some cool stuff planned for the next version. Speed, performance, fixing “stuff”, and some cool new tools. I appreciate you all taking the time to post. I hand out here reading your posts, and I do bring this stuff back for plans for future dev.

Keep it coming.

Rob

At the moment I’m still using 9.1 for the sole reason that 9.5 isn’t working with Vista, I found a solution to get 9.5 installed but keep getting an error when trying to use it.

Do hope you guys not only improve future versions, but, patch existing ones aswell !

For me, that is when you see a company doesn’t solely think about the cash flow, but about the customer aswell !!!

Hi PainterPM

It´s good to see someone here from Corel, as many have already told before. I want now again to remind you of the couple of bugs we have with Intel Mac:

1. annoying freezing of brushes every now and then.

2. inability to use distort, scale and rotate by using cursor.

The fixing of these things is very important for us who are using painter for a heavy daily work, doing cartoons and illustrations etc.

But, after all, I love Painter and hope it will continue getting better and better (and in near future to be able to use more cores and RAM…)

Lauri

Hi PainterPM

It´s good to see someone here from Corel, as many have already told before. I want now again to remind you of the couple of bugs we have with Intel Mac:

1. annoying freezing of brushes every now and then.

2. inability to use distort, scale and rotate by using cursor.

The fixing of these things is very important for us who are using painter for a heavy daily work, doing cartoons and illustrations etc.

But, after all, I love Painter and hope it will continue getting better and better (and in near future to be able to use more cores and RAM…)

Lauri