Converting from LW to Maya FAQ

Hi guys I am at present learning Maya,my current software is Lightwave, I recently dipped into XSI and they had a realy usefull FAQ describing how the XSI tools related to the LW tools and vice versa…Is there such a list for MAYA/Lightwave ?
What are the equivelent tools to …
Bandsaw ,
Smoothshift,
Smooth,
Vertibevel,
Bandglue,
SpinQuads,
Drag tool ,
Magnet Tool

Any help would be much appreciated
all the best Robin

Bandsaw: Cut
Smooth Shift and Smooth: Extrude(creates new geometry) or Move Component Tool(uses existing geometry)

VertiBevel(dont know what it does) Chamfer Vertex?

Bandglue: connect border edges from Bonus Game package

Spin Quads: Flip Triangle Edge

Drag Tool/Magnet Tool—lot of plugins and scripts on this. Native tool: Proportional Modification Tool,

Bonus Game Package Scripts: Geometry Transmogrifier

Tweak

xySoftPeak

ClayDough

Suggestionss: Use MjPolytools and Bonus Game Package for additional poly tools. Get everything from highend3d.com or AW website.

Maya has a lot of functionality with Edges and Nurbs surfaces that can be converted to poly surfaces…use these tools to compensate for LW features.

Dont be lazy…play with maya…everything is under the poly menus.

You’d have to be crazy to want to model in Maya. Unless you’re totally switching to Maya, you’re better off just modeling in LW and exporting over to Maya for animation and stuff. :slight_smile:

lol…“opinions are like assholes, everyone has one” I personally couldnt handle the workflow of LW after learning Maya. The comprimise i made between LW and Maya for poly modelling was wings3d for character modelling and cleanup and integration for production/animation with Maya.

So robkoni, ignore the pro/con statements that you will get cuz its no different then christians and muslims wanting to kill each other for being different.

Thanks 2Bytes,I shall follow your sugestions…
Cim,well its a case of where the work is I’m afraid:annoyed:

Originally posted by CIM
You’d have to be crazy to want to model in Maya. Unless you’re totally switching to Maya, you’re better off just modeling in LW and exporting over to Maya for animation and stuff. :slight_smile:

maybe , can be a great solution for many problems,but why someone has to use 2 apps? i am looking at maya 4 experiment, but hope to find great modelling tips and tools.

one thing is certain , Maya is not a great modelling software, for polys or sub_D!! maybe NURBS…

1. how can i export Lw scenes or objects in Maya?

Ciaoi from Italy:wavey:

is certain , Maya is not a great modelling software, for polys or sub_D!! maybe NURBS…

How does Maya get such a bad rap in this area? I find that the modelling workflow in maya is superb. It seems as though everyone dislikes Maya because its missing a few poly tools in its default package, but every tool I have heard of other apps having, I see plug-ins/scripts for Maya that do the same thing. Not to mention Maya has Artisan, which is extremely powerful for modeling. And Maya is definitely very good in NURBS.

Misses two things:

Bevel and Magnets.

the proportional modification tool is not even close to a decent magnet tool you get in other packages , and the bevel creates all those extra edges with tri’s everywhere! , its a pain to clean it up.

There are no scripts or plugins out there to fix these two major shortcomings of Maya yet.

I would recommend doing the bevels in a package like wings 3d and export back to maya even if you want to model in maya.

I think Maya’s extrude face = Lightwave bevel

As for magnet/drag took, I think Maya is more powerful. To turn on this feature, click on

Window >Setting Preferences > Preferences

In this Panel, click Setting > Selection, in the upper right, there is a check box call "Click Drag Select ", check it. Now you can Drag and Move in One Click - very powerful stuff.

personally I am not a fan of magnets. I don’t find them near as intuitive as artisan, so I don’t miss them. If you want them though there is that claydough script, not a perfect implementation but it works.

Cannot compare artisan to magnets , you cannot say , define a pivot point for artisan and magnet rotate\scale\move like you can in mirai\wings. Also you cannot do masking with artisan if i remember correctly?

I tried claydough , unfortunately its not good enough.

rock , click drag select has nothing to do with magnets , click drag select doesnt have a falloff in the first place.

what click drag supposedly is -> dragnet in LW

a thing that seem missing with main tools in Maya is
the possibility of using scale with polys wilth the mouse pointer position, to stretch polys in a different way than normal.
in Maya , handles make u work like in Lw center selection mode

also, i’d like to move components without clicking on arrows to move them in x, y, z.

Artisan its a great tool. i have to experiment with it, and if it works as i think, then there are few reasons to use polys and then convert them in sub-Ds

this maybe the reason why Maya have not so great native tools for polys.??!!

Nemoid,

I have to agree that the polygon modeling in Maya is not organized as Lightwave, but I think we can try to find its workaround. Maybe it’s that we are so used to LW way of doing things.

To move components without clicking on arrows to move them in x, y, z, simply right-click on the object into object mode, left-click to select object, and then press w to move. The object will move anywhere you want it to move.

Rock

Nemoid,

As for “a thing that seem missing with main tools in Maya is
the possibility of using scale with polys wilth the mouse pointer position, to stretch polys in a different way than normal.
in Maya , handles make u work like in Lw center selection mode”, you can do this:

1. Select the face or poly that you want to scale
  2. Press Insert to change the face pivot point
  3. Press R to scale
  4. Then scaling now is relative to the new pivot point.

What I like in LW is the TAB key where you not only turn poly into smooth subdiv, but you can turn it back to the original poly by pressing TAB again. I don’t know if you can do this in Maya.

Rock

Nemoid, an extension to rocks post…you can Lock the pivot point to a new position as well. so any and all component selections will have the same pivot point. LW has this of course…but you cannot “lock”

you can simulate LW’s tab functionality in maya with a little script something like this:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// s w i t c h S m o o t h . m e l //
// – //
// Anders Langlands 2003 //
// //
// Written in ten minutes to shut those goddamn lightwavers up! //
// //
// Usage: select your mesh object and run alSwitchSmooth to //
// toggle between smoothed/non-smoothed versions. Bind //
// to a hotkey (not tab!). To change the level of //
// smoothing, change the value of $alSsNumDivisions, //
// below. //
// //
// Known Issues: Does funny stuff when used on components, but //
// shouldn’t cause any errors. If it does, e-mail me //
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

global int $alSsNumDivisions = 2;

proc alSmoothStuff(string $shp)
{
global int $alSsNumDivisions;
if (attributeExists "iAmSmoothed" $shp)
{
// Object has been swicthsmoothed before
int $isSmoothed = getAttr ($shp+".iAmSmoothed");
if ($isSmoothed)
{
// Object is already smoothed
string $psms[] = listConnections -t polySmoothFace $shp;
setAttr ($psms[0]+".divisions") 0;
setAttr ($shp+".iAmSmoothed") 0;
}
else
{
// Object has alread been smoothed but is not now
string $psms[] = listConnections -t polySmoothFace $shp;
setAttr ($psms[0]+".divisions") $alSsNumDivisions;
setAttr ($shp+".iAmSmoothed") 1;

}
}
else
{
	// Object has not been smoothed before
	addAttr -ln "iAmSmoothed" -sn "ias" -at bool $shp;
	string $psms[] = `polySmooth $shp`;
	setAttr ($psms[0]+".divisions") $alSsNumDivisions;
	setAttr ($shp+".iAmSmoothed") 1;	
}

}

global proc alSwitchSmooth()
{
string $sel[] = ls -sl;
for ($o in $sel)
{
if (nodeType $o == “transform”)
{
string $rels[] = listRelatives -s $o;
string $shp = $rels[0];
alSmoothStuff $shp;
}
else
if (nodeType $o == “mesh”)
{
alSmoothStuff $o;
}
else
{
error “Please select either a mesh shape or its transform”;
}
}
}

You cannot just jump back and forward like this with subdivision surfaces because Maya’s are a little more advanced than Lightwaves: they’re heirachichal. Use this script to “preview” before converting to subdivs for heirachical editing.

bandsaw = “multi loop split” in the MJPolyTools script, not “Cut” as previously stated…

Cut would be more like the knife tool.

Vic

Written in ten minutes to shut those goddamn lightwavers up!

LOL!:thumbsup:

Originally posted by rock
[B]Nemoid,

As for “a thing that seem missing with main tools in Maya is
in Maya , handles make u work like in Lw center selection mode”, you can do this:

1. Select the face or poly that you want to scale
  2. Press Insert to change the face pivot point
  3. Press R to scale
  4. Then scaling now is relative to the new pivot point.

What I like in LW is the TAB key where you not only turn poly into smooth subdiv, but you can turn it back to the original poly by pressing TAB again. I don’t know if you can do this in Maya.

Rock [/B]

Thanx for your posts, Rock!
this way to work seem to be a bit complex
than in Le but it works properly
in Lw is more easy
just putting here and tere the stretch cursor
and stretch in very different ways!!