City in Progress.. from the beginning..

have basically done the street map of my buildings, ive attatched a link to show u … what im trying to create … i used the greeble modifier…to create the inner lines of the polygons to create the sidewalk…

on the second image ive circled in red… this part… where it is the sidewalk and i wanna knw if that looks ok … or should the vertices be cleaned up … to make a straight polygon for the path … and if so how would i got about doin this… ??

also … as u can see where the road should be ive cut out the polygons … becuase i will create the road on a seperate plane… is that a good way to model the road… and also how do i get the other plane to fill in the ‘blanks’ of the main plane with the buildings on it …

any help would be much appreciated…

thanks …

www.grafixdesign.net/city

Dude I’ve always wanted to do this, I’m really excited about your project.

I think what you circled is fine if you’re doing a flythrough, but may become problematic if you’re planning street-level camera work.

I think that your plane idea will work for the road, given a hi-res texture.

Yeah, can’t wait to see how this turns out!

the thing is i do want to do a fly through but on a street level … because i want to put two rally cars in there …and make an fmv sequence as if they were racing… !!

so if that area is a problem . … do u knw what i can do to resolve it… because i dont wanna start modelling / extruding buildings …if the pavement / sidewalk isnt right…

ill let u knw how it progresses… its my first WIP thing on here…

anyways any help would be great…

i messed around with that before and i ran into the same problem. unfortunatly, the only way i could figure out to fix the sidewalks was to manually move the verticies on each corner. if i were you, since you plan on making a sequence through many streets of the city, i would make each block a seperate object (unless you already have it like that). that way, when you are zooming through the city your computer will only have to render what is in view of the camera and you will not waste massive amounts of time having to render out the entire city when you cant even see it. just my $.02 :thumbsup:

right now… each square in my city is a seperate polygon and u can move around the different squares (blocks) so i take it each block is a seperate object…

i mean each city block should be a seperate object from the ones next to it. of course you can edit each polygon on the object but that does not make them seperate objects. after you have made the final mesh for it just highlight each block (city block) one by one and detach it from the main object into its own seperate one. trust me, unless you have a monster computer you will be happy you did that because it will save you a lot of time in rendering.

sorry to sound a bit dense…
but im a newbie to 3ds max… ive only been using it for a few months…
i was wondering once i dettatch my mesh … on each individual block… should i export them into seperate files…??? or keep it in the same file… and just work on each block at a time…??
what would u recommend… ?

i was wondering once i dettatch my mesh … on each individual block… should i export them into seperate files…??? or keep it in the same file… and just work on each block at a time…??
what would u recommend… ?

Work with each building in separate files an use XRef to collect them in final scene. Press F1 in 3dsmax for details.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.