Cinema4d vs Lightwave

Forgive me if my question is not in the appropriate post. :smiley:
Which of the two are the better, Cinema4d with all its modules vs. Lightwave? I think the Cinema4d bundle is slightly more expensive?

I have been thinking of going for Cinema since its base package price tag is lower, that is without any enhanced modules. These modules seem necessary for this package to compete with many of the higher end programs. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Regards

i’m a max user but this doesn’t matter :smiley:
erm i’d go with lightwave it has a very powerfull modeller (the strongest point for me as a modeller :wink: )

1st thing, let’s avoid flame wars. 2nd, why did you start this thread in the modeling forum? Do you want to know which one is better on the modeling pov? 3rd they’re quite different. C4D has a more powerful weighting system for subds and it supports edges. Lightwave has many more polygon tools but it doesn’t have edge support. Both don’t support ngons when smoothing (in C4D neither when editing). About the modular architecture of C4D… The modules are part of the program, they’ve been separated to let people with a small budget afford C4D. So you basically buy what you need. So in your shoes i’d think about what i need, not to compete with the others. If you simply need the basic program and 1-2 modules i’d go for C4D, if you need more and you prefer Lw’s price and tools i’d go for Lw. Keep in mind that their interfaces and workflow are A LOT different, so the best thing is trying the demo of both and decide after playing with them for a while. If you need even more infos make a search in the Lw forum, i remember a couple of threads on this subject

here’s one of them.

No flame intended!:smiley:
thanks for the link, I’ll try the demos and have a look.
It would seem that public are tipping the scales in favour of LW though
Good Day

Remember that the software you’ll pick up will be your main tool for a lot of time, so don’t let anybody or anything choose your app for you. Get into the demos and choose the one you feel most comfortable in, good luck. :slight_smile:

Try demos.

I’d say Lightwave and Mirai are the best of the best. The rest are basically hybrids (a little Mirai, a little Light, and a little whatever modeling tools they had).

As a user of both Lightwave and Cinema 4D I would have to say lightwave is the better of the two.
Modelling is relitively easy in both, lightwave has more techniques for modeling though… They both have a unique rendering look both look good. when it comes to character animation and even character control lightwave blows Cinema 4D away hands down.
More correct bone usage and quality of control, sliders, endomorphs, there isn’t much more to say there.
Another is certain plug-ins, like sasquach, which creates hair and grass, which Cinema 4d doesn’t have.
Very quick to render certain effects too in lightwave, of course alot depends here on your comuter’s speed.
All in all, I would say buy lightwave, I have been transfering all my models from cinema to lightwave and recreating others in lightwave because they look better.

Originally posted by ThirdEye_01
Remember that the software you’ll pick up will be your main tool for a lot of time, so don’t let anybody or anything choose your app for you. Get into the demos and choose the one you feel most comfortable in, good luck. :slight_smile:

i never ever could have put it better myself :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Originally posted by Xilica
i never ever could have put it better myself :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Agree. Decide by yourself :wink:

Originally posted by ThirdEye_01 C4D has a more powerful weighting system for subds and it supports edges.

Really? Ok, we have no edge weighting which I never missed if I´m honest, but are you able to subweight with different falloffs in Cinema?

Originally posted by CPUxtc1 when it comes to character animation and even character control lightwave blows Cinema 4D away hands down.

:hmm: Cinema 8 has some really powerful character animation tools, so I don`t agree.

Originally posted by CPUxtc1
As a user of both Lightwave and Cinema 4D I would have to say lightwave is the better of the two.
Modelling is relitively easy in both, lightwave has more techniques for modeling though… They both have a unique rendering look both look good. when it comes to character animation and even character control lightwave blows Cinema 4D away hands down.
More correct bone usage and quality of control, sliders, endomorphs, there isn’t much more to say there.
Another is certain plug-ins, like sasquach, which creates hair and grass, which Cinema 4d doesn’t have.
Very quick to render certain effects too in lightwave, of course alot depends here on your comuter’s speed.
All in all, I would say buy lightwave, I have been transfering all my models from cinema to lightwave and recreating others in lightwave because they look better.

What version of C4D have you tried, R4?

1. CA in C4D is more powerful in R8 due to the MOCCA improvements: sliders (yes, we do have sliders too), motionmixer, posemixer, a nodebased Xpresso system (do you have node expressions in Lw? i don’t think so) which let you do everything you want.

2. Sasquatch? Why should we need Sasquatch if we have Shave&Haircut (upcoming 2.0)

3. the C4D renderer is faster

Originally posted by Miyazaki
[B]

are you able to subweight with different falloffs in Cinema?

[/B]

can you explain what you mean? :shrug:

It’s true, when deciding what CG application you are going to use it is best if you decide first what you want to do with it.
If you’re going to be making objects for games 3D Studio is best.
For Movies or television it is best to use Maya or Lightwave.
Cinema 4d is great for logos, and scenery and even some character animation. However I have used both lightwave 7.5 and cinema 4d 8, and personally, lightwave is not just easier to learn, but easier to set up character rigs, and many different photo realistic effects as well as many others… in fact if you compare a list of tools for each you will find that lightwave has alot more to help you choose.
Also, don’t limit yourself to learning one application, you may prefer one to another, you may hate lightwave and love 3D studio, you may hate maya and love cinema 4d, however rediculous these ideas may seem to some people, use what you find as easiest or best in doing what you require of a cg package.
If you want to work for a particular company find out what they use and train for that program…
If you learn many programs you widen your options.
Just because I like use lightwave more than cinema doesn’t mean you should even consider lightwave more than cinema it depends on what you want to do.

It really sounds like I insulted the Cinema 4D rep.
I represent no one, I use cinema 4d 8 and lightwave and 3D studio and am learning maya as well…
I have no prejudice when it comes to one package vs another except I like to use a package (this is my preferences) that is easier to get the quality results I am looking for.
I like the looks of lightwave versus cinema though cinemas look is not better or worse just different.
Like the saying about Bryce, anything done in Bryce is easy to identify as coming from Bryce.

If you’re going to be making objects for games 3D Studio is best.
For Movies or television it is best to use Maya or Lightwave.
Cinema 4d is great for logos, and scenery and even some character animation. if you compare a list of tools for each you will find that lightwave has alot more to help you choose.

Why for games Max is the best? Because it’s more widespread? Maybe i’m missing the reason Blizzard, Konami, Capcom etc. don’t use Max (anymore) for their stuff

For movies it’s better to use Maya or Lw? Have you ever heard of Softimage|3D, Softimage|XSI and Houdini?

Can you show me a list of tools to compare C4D to Lightwave?

Dude, I don’t even know why you are arguing with me on this, I use both, this is my opinion, I’ve done some work in the field. I don’t even care that much, some one wanted my opinion and I gave it. I’m done.

Dude, I don’t even know why you are arguing with me on this, I use both, this is my opinion, I’ve done some work in the field. I don’t even care that much, some one wanted my opinion and I gave it. I’m done.

I’m not arguing with you at all, i only want things to be clear, nothing else. :slight_smile:

Hi, It seems that with my post (in the wrong section I might add) I have indeed caused a flame war.:hmm:

I should and am now going to be more specific, I want to make a short film. I am thinking of making low poly characters (3000 and less) to ease the rendering and time spent modelling, skinning, rigging etc. That s my aim for now at least.:thumbsup:

I don’t know which could offer more. Thanks for all the posts so far; your opinions have all been very helpful.
:beer:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19315Whoa, sorry. I just read the post by Leigh. In the main forims/General dis. section

So i geuss this is the end, i’ll look into the info i kind find their, thanks again:D